UK Politics: Not even a Penny for a new Prime Minister

Yup ^ that context is certainly useful, I wasn't claiming to have it all - just that superficially it looks bad. And personally I would have viewed swelling membership as a good sign and this as a correspondingly bad one, but one that with the context indicates there was no long term gain in popularity and the pre-Corbyn numbers are indicative of the actual level of involvement the general public has in the labour party.

Out of curiosity do you have the numbers over time for Tories and LibDems? I had a quick look but was only seeing the current membership, not historical data.

4 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Yup ^ that context is certainly useful, I wasn't claiming to have it all - just that superficially it looks bad. And personally I would have viewed swelling membership as a good sign and this as a correspondingly bad one, but one that with the context indicates there was no long term gain in popularity and the pre-Corbyn numbers are indicative of the actual level of involvement the general public has in the labour party.

Out of curiosity do you have the numbers over time for Tories and LibDems? I had a quick look but was only seeing the current membership, not historical data.

Yeah, it took a bit of time to assemble the ETA, and different links for each peak and trough. Just linked the one graph to illustrate.
The best I can find for the main 3 parties is this: https://www.tutor2u.net/politics/reference/participation-political-party-membership-in-the-uk

Including this graph: https://tutor2u-net.imgix.net/subjects/politics/blogimages/pol-party-uk-membership-historic-trend.png?auto=compress%2Cformat&fit=clip&q=80&w=800

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

Yeah, it took a bit of time to assemble the ETA, and different links for each peak and trough. Just linked the one graph to illustrate.
The best I can find for the main 3 parties is this: https://www.tutor2u.net/politics/reference/participation-political-party-membership-in-the-uk

Including this graph: https://tutor2u-net.imgix.net/subjects/politics/blogimages/pol-party-uk-membership-historic-trend.png?auto=compress%2Cformat&fit=clip&q=80&w=800

Damn that war/post war peak for the Tories is going to be looming for a long time haha. Current numbers for them are 172k and 90k for the LibDems - seems pretty much the same for the Tories and plateaued off for the LD after a gradual increase in the mid 2010s.

So the same picture across the main parties, broadly stable membership with a temporary spike for Labour brought in by Corbyn that didn't stick around long enough to become part of the institution.

I fucking love this. Jeremy Corbyn was so shit, so fucking useless, he raised Labour Party membership to almost three times its normal levels. Also, the fact that all those members have been completely lost since Starmer took over is nothing to be critical of.

Edited by Spockydog

8 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Did anyone say that? Or just provide some context (and correction) to your post?

That Corbyn was one of the worst politicians we've ever seen seems to be the commonly hled view here.

Therefore, it is no surprise that the transformative levels of membership gains he made are so easily dismissed.

Yeah totally turned off the electorate. That's why the dude came *this* close to winning the election in 2017.

But Corbyn put the shits up the vested interests. And that's when the knives really came out. 

And one thing having all those members does is give you a huge advantage in terms of being able to get boots on the ground during election season. The value of this alone should not be underestimated.

Edited by Spockydog

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

That Corbyn was one of the worst politicians we've ever seen seems to be the commonly hled view here.

Therefore, it is no surprise that the transformative levels of membership gains he made are so easily dismissed.

That's a "no" then.

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Who are these vested interests of which you speak.

They're probably hiding inside that mental closet you've constructed, along with the Institutional Racism gang.

Edited by Spockydog

4 hours ago, Spockydog said:

They're probably hiding inside that mental closet you've constructed, along with the Institutional Racism gang.

That’s what I thought. So no real answers. Just some shadowy ‘vested interests’ pulling all the strings. No evidence, just more insane conspiracy theory. 

The "reasonable person" test isn't exactly a new concept, it literally came up a few weeks ago with the Sam Kerr thing.

19 minutes ago, karaddin said:

The "reasonable person" test isn't exactly a new concept, it literally came up a few weeks ago with the Sam Kerr thing.

Yes and you failed it. Thats the problem.

Except it’s worse than that, you have to expect the Scottish parliament and a bunch of untrained police officers to be the arbiters of ‘reasonable’.