UK Politics: Not even a Penny for a new Prime Minister

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Culture wars is what people do when they have no solutions for the real problems.

It’s funny how people talk about culture wars like it’s a right wing thing, but when left wing policies or actions are implemented which right wingers complain about, that’s not culture wars.. it’s just something to accept. 

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Never heard of a gesture egg.

Culture wars is what people do when they have no solutions for the real problems.

it was one store, and it wasn't cadburys it was the store itself, who have removed the sign. Its a non story. 

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

It’s funny how people talk about culture wars like it’s a right wing thing, but when left wing policies or actions are implemented which right wingers complain about, that’s not culture wars.. it’s just something to accept. 

Because they are totally equivalent positions, am I right? 

I am sure Starmer doesn't give a toss that Labour party membership under his leadership has dropped from 550,000 when he lied his way into the job, to just over 200,000 today. 23,000 of those have gone within the past two months. 

I reckon he's making up for the lost membership fees with all the snouts he's inviting to the trough. 

Edited by Spockydog

Yeah. I'd have this on my election pamphlets in former red wall seats they lost. 'We aren't the party of the Islington set, media elite anymore, we are more like you'. 

Not sure if it's good or bad for our political system's legitimacy and long-term viability when it's considered a bad thing - not just bad, but illegitimate, laughable really - for people to actually participate in politics beyond ticking a box every five years.

3 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Not sure if it's good or bad for our political system's legitimacy and long-term viability when it's considered a bad thing - not just bad, but illegitimate, laughable really - for people to actually participate in politics beyond ticking a box every five years.

How is this your conclusion to that story? 

Liff is inferring that membership in a political party as being a bad thing. I think in this case you were judging the people that are members of the Labour party but i also thought your reaction was missing Spocky's point - regardless of whether you like like or agree with the members of the party, a collapse in the membership to ~50% of their previous membership is not a good sign for the health of the party. I'd think the same about the members of the Tories even though I think they're mostly a bunch of twats. If you were seeing a departure of one group being replaced by another group you'd have more room for complexity, but these parties rely on member volunteers to do a shitload of the work of running a party.

And losing numbers like that would make me worry about a party split.

Well nobody is suggesting that membership of a political party is a bad thing. So I’m not sure how Liff came to that conclusion. 

Actually people leaving a political party to maybe go join another one that better suits their views is actually democracy in action and should be celebrated. 

That Starmer is probably building a broader base that appeals to a greater number of people in the country, rather than some hardline leftists within his party is almost certainly a good thing too, and is a positive sign for democracy.

On 3/30/2024 at 3:47 PM, Spockydog said:

I am sure Starmer doesn't give a toss that Labour party membership under his leadership has dropped from 550,000 when he lied his way into the job, to just over 200,000 today. 23,000 of those have gone within the past two months.

Isn't that almost exactly where the party membership was the day before Corbyn was nominated for party leadership?

Of course, that doesn't make it a good thing (far from it); but I do wonder how many of the departures are "life long party members" and how many are "joined to vote for Corbyn"

ETA: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Labour_Party_membership_graph.svg

Nope, fell off a cliff around the Falklands, stabilising at 250-300k; bump up to a peak of 405k for early Blair in 1997, before dropping back to circa 200k with the illegal wars. Generally holding steady just below 200k (with a drop to 150k for Milliband) until Corbyn (largely, the option of installing Corbyn) brings it up to a peak of 564k in 2017. Corbyn ejected from the party => drops down to 366k (NB, 366,604 is the figure quoted in your article - is more a loss of "just under 200k", not a drop to "just over 200k").

Yes, I'm sure they'd rather have the members, but not exactly a fatal blow, currently significantly above the average for the last 40 years.

Context. It's a thing.

Edited by Which Tyler