Football: Let's All Laugh at Chelsea

Arsenal winning would be the least objectionable outcome. I'd still have City as marginal favourites for the title though purely because they've repeatedly proven their ability to hold their nerve in tight title races.

18 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Arsenal winning would be the least objectionable outcome. I'd still have City as marginal favourites for the title though purely because they've repeatedly proven their ability to hold their nerve in tight title races.

To be fair Liverpool have hardly choked under klopp. They still picked up insane points in the run ins, just slightly fewer than city. 

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

So I've been a bit wary of saying it, 'cause you think 'hey, City aren't as good this season' and then it comes together and they reel off 15 wins to end the year, but City have definitely dropped off a bit this season haven't they?

I think they deliberately made themselves a bit worse at the traditional Pep style by getting Haaland in, who's a bit of a passenger in general play, in the pursuit of being better in the latter stages of the Champions League but when he scores 36 goals it probably balances itself out. If he only gets 20-25 goals I'm not quite sure it does. Add in they haven't really adequately replaced Gundogan or Mahrez (probably should have kept Palmer). Plus it looking like De Bruyne might be struggling to hit the same heights post injury at 32 and they're not quite what they were.

The problem is even a not as good version of City are still clearly better than everyone other than Arsenal and Liverpool and you could still easily see them winning the remaining 9 games.

btw to offer a response to this from the last thread: I agree, they aren't as good. They're sacrificing a lot to make Haaland work. He's so efficient it hasn't burned them too bad yet, but it's a much finer line than it was before. It's also made them less interesting: like I'm not sure the KDB issue is age, I think it's at least partly that playing to Haaland's strengths requires him to be far more limited. It genuinely annoys me- KDB was my favourite non-United player in the league since Bergkamp, and now he's a 'chip it long' merchant to a large extent.

Pep's also struggling to use Grealish. Like he does a job, it's fine, but Grealish is at his best as an improviser and Pep doesn't have the space for him to consistently do that in the way he's best at. Mahrez could marry that dribbling flair to the system play to some extent- Grealish is wasted if he tries. 

For that reason I'm also glad Palmer left tbh, I think he'd be stifled in a similar way. There's only room for one real soloist in Pep's current setup, and at the moment it's Foden. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

By the way I'm not sure how to feel about this thread title. But my life philosophy leans towards the it's better to laugh than cry mentality.  

Look on the bright side. Chelsea's problems, much like United's, are like 'first world problems'. Sure, both have been shit relative to their expenditure but neither are in any real danger of facing serious consequences like relegation or going bust and both have still won a few trophies which is still better than the vast majority of football clubs.

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Look on the bright side. Chelsea's problems, much like United's, are like 'first world problems'. Sure, both have been shit relative to their expenditure but neither are in any real danger of facing serious consequences like relegation or going bust and both have still won a few trophies which is still better than the vast majority of football clubs.

He, at the end of last season I thought of which the teams that were still in the PL were likely candidates for relegation based on their performance and Chelsea was coming to mind among a few others, except I knew they couldn't fall because of their budget and pool of raw talent they acquired with that money. This season is proving me right. There is enough raw talent in the team for them to keep afloat, because otherwise as a team they might be relegation fodder. And there is nothing happening this season to give me hope for the next season. And if they get penalized with points deductions they might be serious trouble.

I'll take that. 

We're clearly second best, but when Dummet changes his career to WWF, it's hard to avoid that penalty. No idea why he did it, Young was never going to score there.

22 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

He, at the end of last season I thought of which the teams that were still in the PL were likely candidates for relegation based on their performance and Chelsea was coming to mind among a few others, except I knew they couldn't fall because of their budget and pool of raw talent they acquired with that money. This season is proving me right. There is enough raw talent in the team for them to keep afloat, because otherwise as a team they might be relegation fodder. And there is nothing happening this season to give me hope for the next season. And if they get penalized with points deductions they might be serious trouble.

It's pretty unlikely that they will be getting a points deduction and even if they do, it's unlikely that the points deduction will be big enough to put them in a relegation battle. There's also been other reports saying that Chelsea should be okay on the PSR front. They will also most likely sell some academy players before June 30 - according to reports, Newcastle intends to make Lewis Hall's move permanent so that's already going to be £28m + £7m in add-ons for Chelsea.

14 hours ago, Rorshach said:

I'll take that. 

We're clearly second best, but when Dummet changes his career to WWF, it's hard to avoid that penalty. No idea why he did it, Young was never going to score there.

There's a reason he's our 27th choice. 

It looks like the Saudi's have had enough of trying to extend St James Park.  Logistically it is a nightmare and even if you throw billions at it, the maximum would still only be about 65,000.

A lot of chatter coming out of the North East that they are going to look at alternate sites.  As long as they can secure somewhere near to the city centre so we don't lose that unique feel, I have no concerns.  Its the quickest way for us to secure increased revenue and infrastructure improvements have no cap. 

Also, having a half decent stadium to play in until the other one is built is a huge bonus.  if they are going to do it it should be at least 80,000 capacity (or at least easily expandable up to 80,000).

If true, could City and Chelsea escape points deductions etc?

https://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-man-city-points-deduction-luxury-tax-expulsion-everton-nottingham-forest

‘A ‘luxury tax’ has been considered, where those clubs who overspend will have a financial punishment which would increase the more they splash the cash. But clubs can choose to press on regardless if they wish.

‘The monies collected, which could run into the tens of millions, would then be redistributed to those Premier League who complied with the rules. It has been discussed that some of the fines could even go into an ’emergency fund’ to assist EFL clubs in financial danger.

‘Currently, such a tax features in America’s Major League Baseball and National Basketball Association, and relates to the amount spent on the salaries of the playing squad.’

Rich getting away with breaking the rules by spending money... such a novel idea. I wonder how no one thought of it before.

This would go directly against the whole "we're doing this to ensure clubs' sustainability" narrative that was the foundation of introducing FFP rules in the first place.

Edited by baxus

• polishgenius changed the title to Football: Let's All Laugh at Chelsea