Why has Hollywood taken so long to produce fantasy space movies like the new Dune movies?

NickGOT456

7 hours ago, sifth said:

Truth be told, I think Sci-Fi does better on tv. I just worry we'll never see something like DS9, Babylon 5 or Farscape ever again. Don't get me wrong, I loved The Expanse, like many others here, I just don't think it compares to the 3 shows I listed before.

Out of recent shows I think Andor definitely stands up to those three.

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

Jupiter Ascending?  Which I liked a lot, actually, though nobody else did iirc.  Just as I liked a lot about John Carter of Mars.

I don't know if I'd say Jupiter Ascending was a good film necessarily, but at least it had some imagination and I'd rather than watch it than something turgid like Rebel Moon. If you're going to make a daft space opera why not do crazy things like have Sean Bean play a bee?

I thought John Carter did manage to capture some of the spirit of pulp science fiction. It's also a bit silly, but if your pulp science fiction about travelling to Mars isn't a bit silly then you're not doing it right.

Edited by williamjm

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

Out of recent shows I think Andor definitely stands up to those three.

I like Andor a lot, but for me it suffers a little from being a prequel. I sort of have to ignore that this is the same universe that Darth Vader and Jar Jar Binks exist in and that Andor himself is going to die hours after the final episode of this show.

Simply put, part of me wishes Andor was an original show, because it's so much better than what you'd expect from Star Wars.

I really liked John Carter when it came out, but I think I liked it because I understood the context of the movie and where that story had come from. It was silly and over the top, which to modern audiences might look like just another dumb hollywood CGIfest, but actually I think the story kind of captured that pulp feel and I could connect the dots to older storytelling.

Jupiter Ascending was just pure garbage, just an absolutely horrible movie that has little excuses for why it was so bad. 

John Carter was a very imperfect film, particularly the latter half.  What killed it, however, was the TERRIBLE marketing for the film.

I took my daughter to see it on opening Friday, where Harkins was showing it in the Cine Capri: basketball-court sized, curved screen; massive sound system; over two hundred recliners in a raked stadium seating configuration; tickets that cost 150% of normal price.

The screening we attended had a total of 13 people watching it, all of the rest of them older than me.  On Sunday I went with my wife, where we watched it with seven other viewers.  This was a pretty big spectacle, perfect for the modern movie theater, and almost no one was drawn in to see it.

Edited by Wilbur
cain't spel

John Carter had a lot of bad luck. It looked great, story was fine, it's a fun setting, but yeah, the marketing certainly dropped the ball, and I feel critics were really unkind to it given it was trying to do something new.

15 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Is Avatar 3 coming out this year?

No, it was delayed back to December 2025 a while back.