Why has Hollywood taken so long to produce fantasy space movies like the new Dune movies?

NickGOT456

A decade ago before the Summer before my first year of college I got to experience a series of games called "Mass Effect" and I was blown away as someone who's only exposure to sci fi at the time were the Star Wars movies and the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies.

I thought the story was more interesting than Trek or Wars. I thought the aliens were much more cooler looking than any of the aliens in other sci fi. I liked the aesthetics of the future world Bioware created.

And unlike the new Star Wars movies and the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies the Mass Effect world made me feel a huge sense of wonder.

Also while Mass Effect 1 and Star Trek 2009 share many tropes it felt like Mass Effect did those tropes better.

It made me dream that Hollywood would someday create a sci fi movie set in a exotic world with a sense of wonder with good characters and a good story to go along with it.

Hollywood has made that dream into a reality with the new Dune movies.

I enjoyed Marvel, the new Star Wars, and Guardians of the Galaxy but for some reason I feel a much stronger sense of wonder from stuff like Mass Effect or the new Dune movies.

There was also Jupiter Ascending and Valerian and the city of a thousand planets but those were awful.

Looking back I wish we could have gotten the Villeneuve Dune movies or something like them instead of J.J. Abram's "NuTrek" back during the early 2010s.

I find it mind boggling that it has taken so long for Hollywood to produce a fantasy space movie series like the new Dune movies.

Edited by NickGOT456

Did you enjoy John Carter?  It seems like a film that is right down the middle of what you describe.

Some other good ones from the last decade or so that might scratch that itch could be The Endless, High Life, Ready Player One, Edge of Tomorrow, Sunshine, Serenity, Attack the Block, or Source Code.

Edited by Wilbur

4 hours ago, NickGOT456 said:

There was also Jupiter Ascending and Valerian and the city of a thousand planets but those were awful.

There is your answer. They have been making these movies, they were shit and nobody watched them. There have also been a ton of sci fi movies made, they just tend to also be reboots of older franchises, because that is the only risk Hollywood is wanting to take.

The real question is how did Dune ever get made, given how unlikely it was that it would money. That it did make money is also a sort of miracle.

2 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

It’s the best selling Sci fi book of all time…this is like asking how did LOTR ever get made.

Sure, I don’t think that automatically translates into ticket sales in the 2020s though. It was also a top selling book when the Lynch movie came out and that was a flop. 

5 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Rebel Moon was decent :ph34r: better than all the Star Wars crap from Disney 

Rebel Moon was pretty dull and derivative. It was … ok. At best.

All of the recent SW films except maybe RoS and maybe including Solo beat it

Mickey 17 looks like it will be a good Sci-Fi film, but I'm a huge fan of Bong Joon Ho's work.

Alien Romulus has potential, Fede Alvarez is a pretty good director. I really liked his 2013 Evil Dead film and I've heard Don't Breath was a good film as well.

Making a big-budget movie is quite a gamble, particularly when the source material is rather nerdy. The JJ Abrams Star Trek movies weren't really a success. Dune Part 1 must have lost money, too. Part 2 is a moderate success, but no more. 

David Lynch's Dune lost the studio a lot of money, but it was great promotion for the books. 

11 hours ago, Loge said:

Making a big-budget movie is quite a gamble, particularly when the source material is rather nerdy. The JJ Abrams Star Trek movies weren't really a success. Dune Part 1 must have lost money, too. Part 2 is a moderate success, but no more. 

David Lynch's Dune lost the studio a lot of money, but it was great promotion for the books. 

Dune made alot of money on streaming and VOD as well tho.

21 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Rebel Moon was decent :ph34r: better than all the Star Wars crap from Disney 

If I could insert a meme here it would be the squinty eye “ Not sure if serious…”

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

If I could insert a meme here it would be the squinty eye “ Not sure if serious…”

I mean I was half joking but I think people are harder on Rebel Moon generally speaking than it’s actual quality. And im no Zach Snyder fan,i think for instance Man of Steel was much worse than Rebel Moon. As was that pile of dogshit called Argyll 

The Expanse has been argued as possibly the greatest sci-fi series ever by plenty of other nerds. I also adore the novels, but the TV show is so, so, so damn good. It departs from and truncates the novels' content in later seasons, but it's really compelling, fun sci-fi. I'm on a very leisurely 3rd(ish) replay of it all and am still having a blast.

Another vote for John Carter as well if you missed it. It's silly and corny, but the author also created Tarzan for cryin' out loud. Award winning it wasn't, but it sounds like it might be up your alley. I put it far above the absolutely atrocious failures of Jupiter Ascending and Valerian.

And how have we not all pounced on the most obvious fantasy space epic between Star Wars and Dune - The Fifth Element! Peak Luc Besson, peak Willis, the unforgettable Milla - hell, even my trip-hop fave Tricky "acting" as a mercenary!

3 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I mean I was half joking but I think people are harder on Rebel Moon generally speaking than it’s actual quality. And im no Zach Snyder fan,i think for instance Man of Steel was much worse than Rebel Moon. As was that pile of dogshit called Argyll 

Truth be told, Rebel Moon, might be one of the worst films I've seen before. The last Snyder film I enjoyed was Watchmen; I know unpopular opinion. I just really liked how Rorschach was portrayed in the film.

Most space opera movies have been varying degrees of campy, cheesy and juvenile, even the commercial hits like Flash Gordon, Avatar or Star Wars — space wizards with laser swords!  The genre’s world building is necessarily shallow and ridiculous (even when there is a deep lore constructed), and that tends to be paired with juvenile wish fulfillment stories.

Hard SciFi does a better job of sticking to more complex stories but even The Expanse had a cheesiness to the novels, combining a tired noir character with a horror story and an interplanetary Cold War.

I watch most of the space opera movies to enjoy the creative fantasy but I’m not surprised that Hollywood is cautious about audience demand.

Truth be told, I think Sci-Fi does better on tv. I just worry we'll never see something like DS9, Babylon 5 or Farscape ever again. Don't get me wrong, I loved The Expanse, like many others here, I just don't think it compares to the 3 shows I listed before.

7 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

What does Argylle have to do with Zach Snyder?

Anyway MoS is way better than Rebel Moon- it's a good movie. An absolutely shit Superman story, but a good movie. 

Rebel Moon I did enjoy, and will watch the sequel, but it's pretty bad. 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

What does Argylle have to do with Zach Snyder?

Anyway MoS is way better than Rebel Moon- it's a good movie. An absolutely shit Superman story, but a good movie. 

Rebel Moon I did enjoy, and will watch the sequel, but it's pretty bad. 

I don’t know the product placement in MoS was kind of disgusting. “Let’s have Superman fight at a 7 Eleven”, “Let’s have the bad guys attack IHOP”.

I think a lot of this has been moving to TV. Expanse was mentioned, but so is something like Foundation, or Westworld, or For All Mankind, or Fallout.