Football, what the fuckball?

Okay so we managed to avoid abject humiliation thanks to a goalkeeping error and a dumb move from the Arsenal defender. But I'm still not happy with Ange.

I absolutely love him as a personality but I'm just not convinced about his tactical ability. Maybe playing the same way every game was fine in the Scottish league but in the premier league it's naive.

Sure Arsenal are solid but really they just used the same tactics Newcastle did. Teams can always exploit our highline and since we don't create much as an attacking unit either we're always going to struggle.

Fortunately I bought a six pack of beer so I could get trashed after the game, knowing what was probably going to happen.

13 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Sure Arsenal are solid but really they just used the same tactics Newcastle did. Teams can always exploit our highline and since we don't create much as an attacking unit either we're always going to struggle.

I think Ange can be a bit too stubborn with his attacking philosophy. But I don't think there was a lot wrong with how Spurs were set up today (other than struggling a bit with set pieces).

It's not like Arsenal were constantly getting in behind. They scored 3 goals off 0.7 xg in the first half and had one pretty good chance in the second half. Spurs have scored twice, had three good chance for Romero before he scored, another great chance for Son and a pretty solid shout for a penalty in the first half. Spurs could quite conceivably have won that game 6-2. Sometimes the bounce of the ball just doesn't go your way.

34 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Can't ask for more. Arsenal is 13-1-1 since beginning of 2024. They can't do much more than that.

This is why Pep has to go. You can't have teams finishing the season like that and not winning the league.

Imagine if you win last 3 and go 16-1-1 with insane goal difference in those games and don't win. 

7 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I think Ange can be a bit too stubborn with his attacking philosophy. But I don't think there was a lot wrong with how Spurs were set up today (other than struggling a bit with set pieces).

It's not like Arsenal were constantly getting in behind. They scored 3 goals off 0.7 xg in the first half and had one pretty good chance in the second half. Spurs have scored twice, had three good chance for Romero before he scored, another great chance for Son and a pretty solid shout for a penalty in the first half. Spurs could quite conceivably have won that game 6-2. Sometimes the bounce of the ball just doesn't go your way.

Agree with this.

Was pretty worried in the first half.  Spurs were energetic and aggressive, and definitely didn't feel like the type of game that would be 3-0 Arsenal at the break.

But regardless, huge win.  There have been plenty of times where Arsenal play beautiful football but can't put away chances, so no complaints about a game where they outperform their xG in what was always going to be a chaotic match.

Highlight of the game for me was Ben White picking at Vicario's glove ahead of a corner, that was hilarious.  :lol:

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

This is why Pep has to go. You can't have teams finishing the season like that and not winning the league.

Imagine if you win last 3 and go 16-1-1 with insane goal difference in those games and don't win. 

I know. It's tiring. We're competing with perfection. So hard to win. I mean, Liverpool had 97 pts and lost the league! That's just insane.

Bah. Forest had actually started fairly well.

ETA: Forest have actually been pretty clearly the better side so far. This has been a very annoying few weeks on the ‘ball going in the goal’ front.

Edited by ljkeane

30 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

FTFY

Chelsea and Utd about apend as much. Pep is the problem, when he's gone they come back to the pack, no matter how much they spend. 

25 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Forest is killing me.

This isn't where City are dropping the points we need them to.

It will be the most spursy thing in the world for Spurs to go into their game with City intending to lose but actually winning instead.

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

This isn't where City are dropping the points we need them to.

It will be the most spursy thing in the world for Spurs to go into their game with City intending to lose but actually winning instead.

They could if Chris Wood didn’t hate Arsenal. Opportunities are there.

20 hours ago, Rorshach said:

As for the Everton game .. we're mostly solid again. This kind of defending is what I thought Benitez would be able to implement (Lampard not so much), but after having been so porous for years, having a tight team at the back is comfortable. 

If I'm to be positive (I am), I think that building from the back is the way to go for us. Defensive solidity coupled with set piece goals, and then try to improve the offense from there.

The great problem here is that Everton will probably have to sell Branthwaite to meet FFP. They won't be able to reinvest the money either in a striker or in defence. What they need is a Brighton-esque scout and recruitment department but they don't have that.

Ornstein seems to have a bit of inside source on behind the scenes stuff at Liverpool recently (maybe someone close to Edwards) and he thinks Salah's staying next season.

I must admit I'm a little surprised with Edwards back and his general tendency to want to cut loose older players, I thought they might try to cash in while's they've still got a chance. Overall Salah was good at the start of the season before his hamstring injury, if we get him at that level back next season it's a good thing. The concern is in his 30s is whether he's going to continue to be restricted. Still, I think we'll need to find more of a viable back up right winger in the summer.

9 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Ornstein seems to have a bit of inside source on behind the scenes stuff at Liverpool recently (maybe someone close to Edwards) and he thinks Salah's staying next season.

I must admit I'm a little surprised with Edwards back and his general tendency to want to cut loose older players, I thought they might try to cash in while's they've still got a chance. Overall Salah was good at the start of the season before his hamstring injury, if we get him at that level back next season it's a good thing. The concern is in his 30s is whether he's going to continue to be restricted. Still, I think we'll need to find more of a viable back up right winger in the summer.

Gotta play the game if you want his value off the Saudis.