Football, what the fuckball?

City and Arsenal are both in very strong form and winning comfortably (although, yes, they’ve both had a random blip in recent weeks).

We’re arriving at that weird stage of the season: some teams are fighting for their lives, while others will be playing in flip-flops and imagining the beach.  Also fatigue catches up with the teams who’ve been doing the Thursday-Sunday routine for EL and ECL games for the whole season, and there might be a team here or there who are deprioritizing the league now in favor of a cup.

3 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

o you sweet summer child! :P

I said if. I didn't say they would. I watched them win 17 games in a row last year to win the title, I don't actually expect them to lose.

Edited by Mexal

This Arsenal team are amazing but I'm a bit concerned whether they'll be able to keep the team together. They're all pretty young so you'd expect the core could stay strong for another 5+ years of title challenges, but I think they'll be hard-pressed to keep them all. While living in London, playing in Europe, challenging for the league and having a settled club are great, I suspect the lure of higher wages and bigger profiles at Real, Barca, PSG etc might pull at least one or two of Odegaard, Saka etc away over the next few years. They aren't going to be able to give superstar wage rises to all of them when they hit late 20s.

11 hours ago, Jeor said:

This Arsenal team are amazing but I'm a bit concerned whether they'll be able to keep the team together. They're all pretty young so you'd expect the core could stay strong for another 5+ years of title challenges, but I think they'll be hard-pressed to keep them all. While living in London, playing in Europe, challenging for the league and having a settled club are great, I suspect the lure of higher wages and bigger profiles at Real, Barca, PSG etc might pull at least one or two of Odegaard, Saka etc away over the next few years. They aren't going to be able to give superstar wage rises to all of them when they hit late 20s.

On the plus side, every one of the core just signed a new contract this year basically so they're pretty set for the foreseeable future. I just have a hard time seeing them want to go to a team like PSG purely for money. Madrid is always a lure so maybe but not sure who they'd go after that would get in their side right now.

On 4/25/2024 at 8:46 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Could you imagine having him as your manager, the success he's had with the resources he's had, thinking you know better than the best manager in the world and complaining about him.  Madness. 

I'd give Liverpool Howe, Isak and Bruno for a 5 year Klopp contract.  Imagine what he could do with Saudi money, Pep would be shitting himself. 

There's no doubt at all that Klopp has had a very successful tenure at Liverpool, he lifted the club to the heights we didn't think possible. The league title, European title, a few cups, three more European finals... not a bad haul for what? 8 years? It was also the most fun I had watching Liverpool since I started watching PL back in the late '90s.

The way he's rebuilt Liverpool's midfield last summer is nothing short of spectacular. Had anyone told us when last summer transfer window closed that Liverpool would be title contenders with over 30 matches in the season, we'd all consider him /her insane.

Still, that doesn't mean that he was flawless and above criticism. While I'm definitely not at Soylent's level when it comes to complaining, but Klopp has had issues finding a plan B when his plan A doesn't work, his teams have had slumps in several seasons that cost him more trophies, his squad rotation definitely can be improved etc.

I'd love to see Klopp stay for 20 more years, but I have bitched about some of his decisions and while I never thought I knew better than him and I was wrong most of the time, there were some cases when I was right. Broken clock is still right twice a day kind of thing, I guess...

On 4/24/2024 at 8:39 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Soft southern shite. 

Never have I heard someone complaining about cold in England. I had to check average monthly temperatures for Newcastle to see if I missed something and I must say that even with the last couple of winters in Belgrade being pretty mild, I find those laughable. :D Sure, I'll give you rain but stay away from complaining about the cold. :D 

I think some of the squad rotation issues were down to injury prone players. Liverpool can't just shift players on like it's nothing the way City can. So Klopp ended up having to play some players whose fitness could be relied upon probably more than he would have liked.

Edited by Consigliere

To be fair, Geordies famously don't give a fuck about the cold. 

But also: in NE England it's the wind that gets you. Like Berlin's a lot colder than Middlesborough on average but when I lived there the wind constantly coming off the nearby highlands was nasty

8 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I think some of the squad rotation issues were down to injury prone players. Liverpool can't just shift players on like it's nothing the way City can. So Klopp ended up having to play some players whose fitness could be relied upon probably more than he would have liked.

Sure, there definitely are reasons why Klopp couldn't rotate his squad like Pep. But maybe he wouldn't have to rotate like Pep, just rotate better than he did and get a bit closer to Pep's level. Sure, it would require deeper squad but that's the cost you have to pay to not have your squad implode in April and drop out of running in 3 competitions.

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

To be fair, Geordies famously don't give a fuck about the cold. 

But also: in NE England it's the wind that gets you. Like Berlin's a lot colder than Middlesborough on average but when I lived there the wind constantly coming off the nearby highlands was nasty

We have wind in Belgrade, too. Also it's not at all unusual to have sub-zero temperatures (reaching -10ºC, -15ºC, even -20ºC) for the whole January (not the last two years or so). Now, try combining the two. ;) 

14 minutes ago, baxus said:

Also it's not at all unusual to have sub-zero temperatures (reaching -10ºC, -15ºC, even -20ºC) for the whole January (not the last two years or so).

I mean, I know Belgrade has much colder extremes than Newcastle but your averages are not that far off. Like I say, I live in Berlin which is colder than either and while the NE doesn't have anything to compare to a -15 day, I'm telling you, that wind stings. 

(there's a lot less data on wind speeds but what I did find suggests Belgrade's average windspeed in winter is about half of Newcastle's). 

I bet some of our Nordic friends would have us all beaten though :P

Posted (edited)

It's not the temperature. It's how you dress for it. My people are fucking idiots. 

We were on a ski holiday once in livigno when it was -32 and we decided to walk to the pub with our tops off. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, polishgenius said:

My wife closes her eyes when we drive through boro on the way home. To her it looks like robocop detroit. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, baxus said:

There's no doubt at all that Klopp has had a very successful tenure at Liverpool, he lifted the club to the heights we didn't think possible. The league title, European title, a few cups, three more European finals... not a bad haul for what? 8 years? It was also the most fun I had watching Liverpool since I started watching PL back in the late '90s.

The way he's rebuilt Liverpool's midfield last summer is nothing short of spectacular. Had anyone told us when last summer transfer window closed that Liverpool would be title contenders with over 30 matches in the season, we'd all consider him /her insane.

Still, that doesn't mean that he was flawless and above criticism. While I'm definitely not at Soylent's level when it comes to complaining, but Klopp has had issues finding a plan B when his plan A doesn't work, his teams have had slumps in several seasons that cost him more trophies, his squad rotation definitely can be improved etc.

I'd love to see Klopp stay for 20 more years, but I have bitched about some of his decisions and while I never thought I knew better than him and I was wrong most of the time, there were some cases when I was right. Broken clock is still right twice a day kind of thing, I guess...

Sure, we all have a little moan, we are fickle football fans afterall. But Liverpool fans not appreciating what they've got is absurd. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

On 4/23/2024 at 11:04 PM, polishgenius said:
On 4/23/2024 at 10:50 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Neverkusen Neverlosen being unbeatable

FTFY

Can I just say, you've obviously lived way too long in Germany. Neverlosen ffs. Even I find this one painful.

Would be a bit pointless tho, wouldn't it?

Liverpool won't drop out of the CL spots in any observable reality this season, and neither will they win the league. I think Liverpool properly stuffing West Ham is a more likely outcome for today.