Lyme Disease Awareness Month

May is Lyme disease awareness month, and I just wanted to make this as a reminder to everyone to PLEASE WATCH OUT FOR TICKS!!! The typical first signs of Lyme do not always reveal themselves and it can remain dormant for years before the long-term damaging effects of untreated Lyme begin to start. That leads to many many years of physical and mental exhaustion/decline, misdiagnoses, very expensive treatments, and future flare ups. Lyme can trigger autoimmune responses, or it may simply mimic diseases which is why it's so easy to be misdiagnosed (although my mother and I have seen doctors who would flat out refuse to test us for Lyme.)

Typical first symptoms:

• Bullseye rash
  • Fever
  • Brain fog
  • Fatigue
  • Headache
  • Joint pain/stiffness or swelling

Late stage symptoms (they quickly act chronic)

• Brain fog
  • Fatigue
  • Memory loss
  • Confusion
  • Body aches (pain just everywhere)
  • Night terrors
  • Night sweats
  • Hot flashes
  • Tingling/numbness in limbs
  • Ice cold hands/feet
  • Every gut/GI problem you can think of
  • Sudden food intolerances
  • Weakness, especially in the legs
  • Twitching/jerking in muscles
  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Mood swings/irritability
  • Insomnia
  • Dizziness/off-balance

There are definitely more, but these are the main ones that I and others deal with on a daily basis. Please be careful out there! :) 

7 minutes ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

May is Lyme disease awareness month

Late stage symptoms (they quickly act chronic)

• Brain fog
  • Fatigue
  • Memory loss
  • Confusion
  • Body aches (pain just everywhere)
  • Night terrors
  • Night sweats
  • Hot flashes
  • Tingling/numbness in limbs
  • Ice cold hands/feet
  • Every gut/GI problem you can think of
  • Sudden food intolerances
  • Weakness, especially in the legs
  • Twitching/jerking in muscles
  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Mood swings/irritability
  • Insomnia
  • Dizziness/off-balance

There are definitely more, but these are the main ones that I and others deal with on a daily basis. Please be careful out there! :) 

How do you know if you have the disease, or are just a parent?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

How do you know if you have the disease, or are just a parent?

Edit

The brain fog and confusion aren't an exaggeration, I'm mentally slow as hell :blush:

Edited by Ser Arthurs Dawn

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, baxus said:

Ba-dum-tss!

Yeah, you can only make jokes/get away like that when you are a dad. 

17 hours ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

If anyone has any real questions or concerns regarding Lyme disease, I'm happy to answer them! Jokes aside, my mom was bedridden from this disease for several years.

Sorry, I shouldn't have trivialised your post. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Yesterday I've found a tick on my dog for the first time in a bit over two and a half years he's been with us. Took him to the vet who said that the pill we're giving our dog worked fine since tick was dead. He also said that we should keep an eye out for some possible symptoms of a disease (fatigue, loss of appetite, murky urine etc.) and so far Loki has shown none of them.

On 5/2/2024 at 7:03 PM, Craving Peaches said:

Went for a walk in East Lothian once and the local council made sure to have tick warning signs which I thought was good. I usually try and wear long trousers/sleeves as a precaution but it can be too hot for that sometimes.

Long trousers are not complete protection, even if tucked into socks or gaiters. Ticks will climb up clothing and try to find a way under it. They often attach themselves around people's waists.

A manual or visual check of your whole lower body once you are home is safest.

1 minute ago, A wilding said:

Long trousers are not complete protection, even if tucked into socks or gaiters. Ticks will climb up clothing and try to find a way under it. They often attach themselves around people's waists.

Yes, nothing is fool proof. I also try to stay away from long grass.

2 minutes ago, A wilding said:

A manual or visual check of your whole lower body once you are home is safest.

Agree.

On 5/2/2024 at 1:03 PM, Craving Peaches said:

Went for a walk in East Lothian once and the local council made sure to have tick warning signs which I thought was good. I usually try and wear long trousers/sleeves as a precaution but it can be too hot for that sometimes.

You do better than me lol. (I actually forgot to mention heat sensitivity as a symptom, which is a pretty big one.) I visited my brother and his family in Florida last August and it was miserably hot. I either wore shorts with a tank top or a sleeveless summer dress every day, I just didn't care anymore. :lol: These days I pretty much wear whatever I want, but it just so happens I'm always freezing at work so I'm usually well covered anyway.

On 5/5/2024 at 8:05 AM, Craving Peaches said:

I also try to stay away from long grass.

Same here! Tall grass and wooded areas.

Btw, I checked out some pictures of East Lothian on google and it's gorgeous!! ❤️❤️❤️