College Football 2007

Bronn Stone

HAHAHA.. Is anyone watching the Georgia Florida game. The entire Georgia bench rushes onto the field to celebrate a TD in some type of Richt approved maneuver. Never seen anything like it. It cost them 30 yards after the kickoff. Meyer then got his players riled up. This is too good.. it's like Richt threw the gauntlet and Meyer's going to answer.

HUGE win for buffalo on a cold, rainy day; making us 4-1 in conference and giving us sole possession of the MAC east divsion. Our best ever conference record by far and breaking our record made this season for most wins in a season since moving up to I-A. 4-5 with 3 mac games left, i like our chances to be bowl-eligible. Also our chances of getting to the MAC championship game are looking good too (and i'm not sure but I think the winner of the championship game is eligiable for a bowl game even without 6 wins, it's just damn hard to get to with 5).

On the downside I'm pretty sure that this confirms that Turner Gill be off at Nebraska next year. No one wins at Buffalo, and he is, and that's gotta be impressing the AD there. And there's no chance he'd give up that opportunity to stay with us, we're not even paying him that much.

But that's in future, for now there is only Buffalo!

NUMBER 1! NUMBER1!

THR, congrats on a deserved victory. Georgia was definitely the better team today. A lot will be made of the week off and Tebow's injury, but the real story was Stafford and Moreno sticking it to the Gator defense. Our defense has been mediocre all year, but Richt exploited it masterfully. Our defensive line and corners are weak. Coaching hasn't been that great, either. How in the world you give a 15 yard cushion on 3rd and 12 is beyond me.

Anyways, congrats and see you next year. Are you a Vol or SC fan tonight? Both need to lose again for you, but can you count on the Gators beating SC?

That was a great game on both sides of the field for the Ducks. Dixon looked sharp, Stewart is just a beast, and the defense stepped up when it mattered. If two stupid special teams fumbles don't happen the Ducks take it easily, but even so - a 7 point win is a good win against a good team.

I think I want Cal to lose tonight against ASU; that maximizes the chances of the Ducks going the Pac-10 championship.

Dixon is really something special.

Well UVA lost, so there's one ray of light for this weekend. I couldn't bring myself to watch much today, since I'm still bitter from Thursday night.

In other news...oh, that wacky Big East. USF may be out of the Top 25 just 2 weeks after they were sitting at #2 - and I for one am not surprised. However, what I am surprised at is that Connecticut is in the drivers seat for the Big East. Last year Rutgers, this year USF and Connecticut. Temple should have stayed - they may have been in contention. In reality though, I'm thinking WVU is probably in the best spot right now.

Yea with USF losing, UConn is #1 in the Big East w/ WVU @ #2. However, UConn hs not played WVU yet and that game is in Morgantown. If WVU plays Louisville, Cincy, and UConn like they played Rutgers today they will be in a great spot for a BCS bid.

I'm wondering if ESPN will be able to detach thier lips from Ohio State's nuts after this evening. Herbstreit unavailable for comment.

Cal just...isn't that good. Nate Longshore especially.

Too bad really, they certainly had me fooled there for a few weeks when I thought they might be the best team in the country.

Strangely enough, considering how wacky this season has been, I was absolutely abysmal in my picks this week. My worst week to date, by far.

I didn't see UK going down. I knew Virginia was going to go down but I didn't think it would be at NC State. My gut feeling on that one was to go with NC State too. Thats the last time I try to be reasonable about football. South Florida was another one I didn't see coming. And I really wanted Cal to put an end to ASU so WV could jump them. Oh well..... at least WVU embarrassed Rutgers in New Jersey, extending the win streak vs UR to 13 and maintaining WVU's status as the only Big East team that Schiano has not defeated.

Theres still a lot of football to go, but I'm really liking the possibility of an Oregon/WVU BCS game. I think that would be a sweet match up.

They just can't close anyone out after Eugene. Its painful to watch although at least this week the xe didn't come on the final drive. I don't think they'll beat USC This year and I'm even worried about the ultimate disaster...losing to Stanfurd. To think the Rose Bowl seemed liked the worst case scenario in my daydreams after the Oregon game...

I love how before the final play how the color commentator pessimistically and sarcastically mutters 'or start lateraling...' in the middle of the play-by-play announcers talk about a Hail Mary. Thanks for posting that link, Fez. By the time of the final lateral, Millsap(the purple guys) looked dazed and exhausted.

Anyway, I take back my words. Oregon really impressed me today... again.... Not so much their O but the D was very good. Turner was tightly covered throughout the game and he really had to earn those 3rd down catches.

The Bulldogs also impressed me. Moreno really picked his holes, and outside of that heave from their own endzone, Georgia looked like a sharp and focused team.

This is the first week in a long time where most of the top teams played like a top team. I can hear Penn State fans screaming for a new coach from here.

Now the rankings question, does Oregon's win over USC bump them up to number three? Does Arizona State, Ohio State and BC all still undefeated against excellent teams against which upsets were considered quite probably stay in their same spot or for Arizona State and BC result in an increase in rankings? Does BC's performance cause them to rise or fall?

Personally I would rank them thusly:

1. Boston College (their wins have been most hard fought and impressive against a tougher schedule than Ohio State which only really has the cachet of being a regular in the BCS polls to keep them at number one)

2. Oregon

3. Arizona State

4. Ohio State

5. LSU

6. Oklahoma

give me another thirty seconds and I'll flipflop Arizona State and Oregon, they are really difficult to place in the rankings.

I am a Michigan fan, let me state that at the outset...

I think Oregon is better than OSU but I don't see OSU moving until someone beats them and that may not happen until they come to Ann Arbor and even then it's a question mark.

The Big Ten isn't what it's been in years past but it's still a buzz saw and it's improved since early in the season.

If we were ranking conferences for difficulty, or parity or whatever, I'd have put it this way early on:

1. Pac-Ten

2. SEC

3. Big East

4. Big Ten

But now I am not sure that the SEC, top to bottom, is that much better than the Big Ten and the Big East has slid, so I get:

1. Pac-Ten

2. Sec

2.5 Big Ten

3. Big East

(note the absence of the Big 12)

All this being said, I don't think Ohio State moves and I would like nothing better than for Michigan to continue to run the table and come out of the Big Ten undefeated in conference play. This would give them a BCS bowl with no possible shot at the title and would prove, again, what a joke the BCS is.

Longshore is playing on one leg and dragging the offense down with him. A plus to the kid - he's trying to gut it out. But Tedford is dropping the ball by letting him continue to do it. He's not fit to play.

Archived