Saddest book you've ever read?

konstantine

Adding the authors to mine:

Beloved - Toni Morrison

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

A Night in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch - Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Night - Elie Wiesel

I also thought of Doctor Zhivago - Boris Pasternak

And yes, Jude the Obscure is pretty damn sad. The whole thing is sad. I don't think I forgot that one, I think I blocked it out.

• 1 month later...

"Tristan and Isolde"

Have to get back to you on the author of the particular paperback version that I read.

Plus I read it well over 10 years ago... will have to search my archives for the author, when I get home from work.

*peeks over shoulder to make sure the boss isn't looking this way*

Definitely The Giving Tree as far as sheerly depressing books. For making me cry, I'd go with Songmaster by Orson Scott Card and The Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks, which both can make me cry buckets for like an hour after I finish.

The Atonement by Ian McEwan.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

Bracelet of Garnets by A. Kuprin -- this story is 100 years old and just breaks my heart.

And Quiet Flows the Don by M. Sholokhov.

Nana by Emile Zola

The God of Small Things? I forced myself to finish that and I didn't find it sad, or affecting, or moving at all. Probably because most of it went straight over my head. Maybe I'm too young to appreciate it ;)

I thought Captain Corelli's Mandolin was heartbreaking at parts, and the end is so bittersweet it brought a tear to my eye.

Doctor Zhivago was sad too. Didn't make me cry, but it hurt to read about the characters' fates.

The Lord of the Rings has the melancholy ending but The Silmarillion was far more tragic. Some elements of the Malazan novels are pretty tragic as well (especially Memories of Ice). The ending of The Songs of Distant Earth by Arthur C. Clarke really affected me when I read it when I was very young:

SPOILER: TSoDE
One of the crewmen on the sleeper ship has an affair with a woman on a planet they visit and he leaves her pregnant. I could care less about the love affair, which was written with Clarke's typically poor attempts at romance, but the crewmen waking up centuries later and seeing his son's entire life story, from birth to death, unfold in messages beamed to the ship over the course of his life, seemed like a terribly sad idea.

To be honest, I can't think of a single book that's ever had enough of an emotional impact on me to describe it as "sad." I've read plenty of sad stories but I've only ever recognised the tragedy on an intellectual level, not an emotional one.

That said, the closest I can think of are the short stories Million Dollar Baby (on which the film is about two-thirds based) and Rope Burns, both by F X Toole.

I havent read alot of books but the book i have read so far that hit me the most was "Deadhouse Gates" by Steven Erikson (not trying to be a rigning endorsment here) but man the ending got me and i dont like happy endings so yea...

I guess I get affected a lot by books, I can't honestly say which one was the saddest. I've teared up over a lot of books. I'd second (third, whatever) All quiet on the Eastern front. Also Anna Karenina.

There was a greek writer I adored growing up, Penelope Delta, and she wrote history novels, and I always cried reading those because the people were so fine and heroic and most of them died at the end or were denied happiness. It was strong emotional stuff written with great skill and I still remember those books with love.

Archived