Lost season 4.1.b.2

Arataniello

Sawyer would have to either have a son he didn't know about, or conceived one during the time after leaving the island. I suppose that the son could be the him Kate refers to when talking to Jack, but from the way she says it it doesn't seem likely.

I've figured out who Kate's talking about.

It's Kevin, Nathan Fillion's character. They're still married. He's also a character that could frame the murder on her mom, who has probably died by now. Though it didn't look like Kate was wearing a ring in the last episode, she doesn't seem to be hiding from the cops anymore.

So I've just started watching Lost, and it's pretty good, i've seen about a dozen episodes or so of the first season so far and I had a general question I was hoping could be answered. The flashbacks in each episodes, is there a specific plot purpose to them like that have hidden stuff in them or something, or are they just there to flesh out backstory while being thematically tied to whatever is going on the specific episode?

Also maybe its just me, but it seems like half the characters are adjusting really well to the situation, while half are being whiny bitches; there just doesn't seem like much middle ground. Bit of a gripe, but its a fun show, so I forgive it.

So I've just started watching Lost, and it's pretty good, i've seen about a dozen episodes or so of the first season so far and I had a general question I was hoping could be answered. The flashbacks in each episodes, is there a specific plot purpose to them like that have hidden stuff in them or something, or are they just there to flesh out backstory while being thematically tied to whatever is going on the specific episode?

Also maybe its just me, but it seems like half the characters are adjusting really well to the situation, while half are being whiny bitches; there just doesn't seem like much middle ground. Bit of a gripe, but its a fun show, so I forgive it.

the simple answer to your question is ....... YES :pirate:

the complex answer is that pay attention to the back stories and certain things pop out at you and explain interesting occurances on the island. EVERYTHING is connected.

Gotta say, still beats condensing the final 8 into 0. I'm digging this season so far: finally things are happening again!

Well, yes, but i never thought there was a danger of that. I was thinking they'd just hold the final 8 eps of season 4 over until the fall. Hopefully it just doesn't feel too rushed this season.

Well, yes, but i never thought there was a danger of that. I was thinking they'd just hold the final 8 eps of season 4 over until the fall. Hopefully it just doesn't feel too rushed this season.

Did they actually state they were condensing epsiodes this season? I was under the impression that will try to add another 5 or so eps to the already filmed/planned 8, and any remaining unfilmed eps would be held off until the next season.

Just saw something at, I think, Ain't It Cool where the producers were suggesting no more than 13 episodes for this season., by the looks of it. So it'd be 5 additional, to the 8 already prepared.

Same thing was mentioned on a NY Times article. Apperantly, Heroes is done for the year as well.

this is a random question:

I'm rewatching the early seasons, and based on the physical abilities of Ethan, Goodwin, even Ben and Juliette vis-a-vis the Losties, it really looks like the Others have preternatural strength and speed. Has anyone else ever commented on this?

People talked about this once upon a time. Ben also used to have super hearing as well. For a while it sure seemed like the writers are suggesting these things, but it has been dropped for a long time. Look at poor Ben, everybody kisks his ass on a regular basis now.

And who dares call "Yoda" the funniest bit in the show? It pales in comparison to "Far be it from us to argue with Tall Ghost Walt."

Nonsense. That line can come up at 4th place, at best.

- "No dream, it was Walt. Only he was....taller"

- "Taller? What, like a giant?"

2. Sawyer calling Locke "Colonel Kurtz"

1. Sawyer calling Ben Yoda. That's the best Sawyer nickname ever. Forget about the constant mind tricks. This is Ben. This is Yoda.

People talked about this once upon a time. Ben also used to have super hearing as well. For a while it sure seemed like the writers are suggesting these things, but it has been dropped for a long time. Look at poor Ben, everybody kisks his ass on a regular basis now.

but Ben also takes an incredible amount of punishment and survives: he's probably been beaten into a coma twice, been shot with a crossbow, had his liver cut open, etc. Perhaps he's not as strong as the others, but he's definitely got some preternatural stamina. Likewise, Juliette in season 3 is able to complete hand Kate's ass to her in about two seconds with fighting skills i doubt she learned in Obstetrician school. And then Ethan and Goodwin were simply superhuman in what they were capable of, unless learning how to break someone's neck is standard training for an Other.

I sense this might have been something the writers forgot, or have at least applied totally inconsistently.

One of the Swayer flashbacks reveals he did have a kid, he got Joanie Stubbs pregnant. I can't remember if it was a boy or a girl though, and I doubt the kid would be old enough to be a teenager even by the time the flash forwards take place.

I thought it was with Cassidy. I think it was a girl, named Clementine.

Ben's healing may just have to do with the island in general.

Ethan sure seemed super-charged, I admit. As to Juliette, maybe she took kickboxing or something after work? ;) Kate has no hand-to-hand training, IIRC -- she just went hunting with her dad I believe -- so Juliette beating her up isn't weird.

I don't remember anyone mentioning this, so I thought I'd ask. Miles(I think it was Miles) has a picture of Ben. Anyone have any idea where the picture was taken. In the picture Ben looks like he's filming for an episode of Barney Miller, and my buddy noticed that his computer didn't seem to be plugged into anything. I just wondered because the picture didn't really seem to fit with Ben never leaving the island. It looked like he was in a cubicle.

Honestly, my first impression was that that was an older photo that looked like it had been taken at an airport, like a security line or something...I thought I'd seen what looked like a bag over Ben's right shoulder and he's obviously younger in it. Though looking closer, it doesn't seem so much like that anymore...and no bag.

You know, looking at it more closely, it kinda looks like he's waiting in line to scan his bag at an airport. It looks like there's a bag over his right shoulder, and the bottom of the pedestal that the monitor is on sort of looks like the black flaps you stick your bag through....

I read further on in the thread and see it wasn't just me who had that impression then... :P

Honestly, my first impression was that that was an older photo that looked like it had been taken at an airport, like a security line or something...I thought I'd seen what looked like a bag over Ben's right shoulder and he's obviously younger in it. Though looking closer, it doesn't seem so much like that anymore...and no bag.

I read further on in the thread and see it wasn't just me who had that impression then... :P

So maybe "Oceanic" (or some portion thereof) is more involved than we think?

Did they actually state they were condensing epsiodes this season? I was under the impression that will try to add another 5 or so eps to the already filmed/planned 8, and any remaining unfilmed eps would be held off until the next season.

I just came across the answer to this here:

The goal for Cuse and co-showrunner Damon Lindelof is to produce five more episodes this season, a tall order given the time constraints and the scope of storytelling and production on "Lost." Even with five additional hours, Cuse and Lindelof will be three episodes short of the premapped fourth season.

"We will have to condense some stories," Cuse said.

But then there was another conflicting report that Lindeloff said he didn't think there was any reason why they couldn't get all 8 done. But I can't verify that and don't know when he said it. It could have been a few weeks earlier for all I know. I'm still holding out hope for the 8, but I guess I can live with the condensed 5, even though the time to condense was back in season 2 and early season 3. Now they seem to be hitting on all cylinders and everything is relevant.

Here's a more detailed interview with Cuse:

Cuse interview with TV Guide

It looks like they are set on the 5 episodes, condensed from the 8, but adding those 3 lost hours to the final two seasons at some point. I still think ABC should have stepped up and let them run into June but I think ABC wants to make sure the Lost season finale runs during May sweeps.

Archived