Lost season 4.1.b.2

Arataniello

I don't think the person in the coffin can be Hurley unless something drastic happens in the flash-forwards. When asked if the person is relative or friend, Jack said, "Neither." Hurley would qualify as a friend. The same reasoning applies to Kate saying, "Why would I go to the funeral?" Also, Hurley had some family that would go to his funeral unless he alienated them all somehow or they all died because of the curse.

Strong opener IMO, and I think the series will stay strong, based on a lot that was said in Entertainment Weekly's interview with Matthew Fox. Since they know the exact amount of episodes left, this has apparently allowed them to clearly outline the plot movement. I think things slowed a bit in mid-season 2 and 3 because they didn't know how long they had left to tell the story. The writer's also told Fox who was in the coffin to help him with the scene. Michael seems like the most obvious, but perhaps a bit too obvious. The most interesting comment was "Friend or family?" "Neither". Michael fits that. The only other I could think of would be Sawyer or Ben. If it's not them, something happens where another member betrays them in some way to get that kind of response.

After watching the first 3 seasons again I'm thinking that it's Jacob who is causing all the hallucinations on the island. It seems like every time someone sees something, it leads them somewhere important or makes them do something important. I think this is Jacob's way of guiding things on the island. Now it seems he's looking for some kind of help from Locke because Ben has him trapped or something. I didn't catch Christian Shepherd in the shack? Are people trying to say he's Jacob or he was just there. Because the Jacob image flash in season 3 does not look like him.

Interested to see who the "6" are. I don't think you can include Michael and Walt in the number. Remember Desmond had a vision of Claire and Aaron going away on a helicoptor. Either they get captured or part of the 6. I don't think the funeral was the catelyst for Jack to try to get back. It was pretty clear by the maps and charts in his house, and his comments on hoping to crash that he had felt that way for awhile.

I'm most intrigued by:

The real secret of the island and is this the truth that Jack and the "6" have to protect when they get off the island?

Who does the creepy dude in the psyche ward talking to Hurley work for? The Others or this new "rescue" group?

Who stays behind? On purpose or left behind? Who dies?

Personally, I love the flash forwards. My guess is they will continue them for awhile until Jack and whoever eventually find a way to get back. Then the series will resolve what they go back for, trying to set things right, then maybe they'll leave or stay, who knows?

I didn't catch Christian Shepherd in the shack? Are people trying to say he's Jacob or he was just there. Because the Jacob image flash in season 3 does not look like him.

The guy in the shack in Season 3 definitely wasn't Christian Shepherd. However, in this episode when Hurley looks through the window he can see Christian sitting in the chair, wearing the same suit and tie he normally does in flashbacks and - dead giveaway - the same tennis shoes. Then someone else - presumably Jacob - darts in front of the window. This indicates to me that Jacob is the one who stole Christian's corpse from the plane wreckage way back at the start of Season 1, although what he's up to with it is unclear. Maybe he and the smoke monster are related, since the monster clearly seems to be behind most of the hallucinations on the Island (definitely Eko's brother, but maybe the horse, Dave and Christian walking around as well).

You can see a screen grab of Christian in the shack here.

Personally, I love the flash forwards. My guess is they will continue them for awhile until Jack and whoever eventually find a way to get back. Then the series will resolve what they go back for, trying to set things right, then maybe they'll leave or stay, who knows?

My guess is that the flash-forwards are only here for Season 4. The season's storyline will move forward to the finale, where the Oceanic Six leave the Island, whilst the flash-forward storyline moves them to the point where they have to return. So at the end of Season 4 we have the complete picture and Season 5 can start with them back on the Island two or three years down the line (presumably with Walt back as a regular character, since the story will have caught up with his real-life aging). I'm wondering what happens then. They could continue to have flashbacks to events between them leaving the Island and their return or they could actually just ditch the flashbacks/forwards altogether and just have the 'present-day' storyline.

That does leave the question of what will happen in Seasons 5-6. Up to now the primary impetus behind the survivors' actions has been the desire to get off the Island and go home. I'm guessing the point of Season 4 is to actually give them what they want so that they can stop bitching about it and get on with investigating the Island's mysteries and doing whatever needs to be done to stop the bad guys (whoever the bad guys actually turn out to be) and save the world (since the fate of the Island does seem to be linked to that of the wider world). For that reason I'm not expecting major revelations about Jacob or the smoke monster until next season. I think they'll both appear again and have some stuff explained about them, but I think this season is going to be more about getting off the Island and discovering whatever it is that brings them back.

Of course, with only 8 episodes in the can and the rest MIA due to the strike, it's unclear what the hell will happen overall. I'm also wondering if due to the strike we won't get Lindelof and Cuse's weekly podcasts.

We definitely won't get the podcasts, I think. Writers from Heroes were doing a weekly Q&A following each episode, and when the strike hit, that was that -- they were no longer able to do it. Don't see the Lindelof & Cuse thing as any different.

Yeah, that seems to have been confirmed on the Fuselage. Once the strike ends they'll get back to it, although I'm guessing they'll have one big podcast for the whole season rather than the episode-by-episode ones.

Actually, we may still get the podcasts, but not from Cuse and Lindelof. In Seasons 2-3 they had interviews with the actors on the sets of each episode as they were filming. So I'm guessing we could still get those, just nothing from the writers (which obviously is the most interesting stuff).

The only good thing about BSG starting in April is that the strike may be over by then and we can get RDM's occasionally-drunken ramblings about what went catastrophically wrong this week ;)

I like Lost but the frustrating thing about the show is how stuff is left unsaid. Why has Ben not been interrogated to any meaningful degree about what the island is about? No logical explanation for this other than to withhold information from the viewer. This happens alot where characters don't ask obvious questions and information is withheld. We still know next to nothing about Dharma after 3 full seasons. Or anything about the inhabitants before Dharma showed up.

True. I have been pondering the fact that whilst for us we've been watching these people stuck on this island for three and a half years, from their POV it's only been about two-and-a-half months and there's usually been a brutal struggle for survival in one form or another every other day. In that kind of situation it's probably understandable they're not asking questions about the backstory because frankly they don't care. They want to know where their next meal is coming from.

The other thing is that by now they know not to trust a word Ben says. Even under torture (yo, Sayid!) he'd probably just lie his head off and not reveal the truth about what is really going on.

http://lostpedia.com/wiki/Jacob/Theories

This page says, "The producers have said though that Jacob has been cast and is someone who has been seen before, but not heard. "

Note: Quoted from entry on why Peter Coyote (the narrator) couldn't be Jacob.

Unless the producers changed their mind since that quote (I can't find a date for it) it eliminates a lot of people, including all of Losties, Others, and Dharmas with speaking parts.

That's a very interesting claim. It basically rules out most people except for Alvar Hanso. But Alvar Hanso played a canonical role in The Lost Experience where we see him off the Island in 2006, which would seem to rule him out.

Check this out:

Crazy Lost fan or more viral marketing?

Im voting for crazed Lost fan with waaaaaaay too much time on their hands. They're attempting to show some sort of connection between The Lone Gunmen from X-Files and Lost.

They have a blown up shot of the newspaper clipping there as well which is sort of interesting if that *is* the actual clipping of the obituary that Jack was looking at.

YW

I like Lost but the frustrating thing about the show is how stuff is left unsaid. Why has Ben not been interrogated to any meaningful degree about what the island is about? No logical explanation for this other than to withhold information from the viewer. This happens alot where characters don't ask obvious questions and information is withheld. We still know next to nothing about Dharma after 3 full seasons. Or anything about the inhabitants before Dharma showed up.

Well, the reason I think they don't bother interrogating Ben is that they've already done that... a season and a half ago and they got no worthwhile information in response. Just lies. Everything he says is suspect so why bother when, even under duress, the information that he gives may not be true?

Well, the reason I think they don't bother interrogating Ben is that they've already done that... a season and a half ago and they got no worthwhile information in response. Just lies. Everything he says is suspect so why bother when, even under duress, the information that he gives may not be true?

This is my biggest gripe with Lost as well - why aren't the characters asking the logical questions? And yes, Ben lies...but that doesn't explain why they aren't grilling Juliette for info, or the tail section survivors that were abducted, and now appear to be living contentedly with the Others (like the Australian stewardess).

Edit: Zulo, I did, but only the second time around when I watched that scene over again to see who the other guy in the window was. (Locke?) There is also a picture of a dog hanging on the wall that they linger on for a few seconds. I wonder if that means anything. I must have missed the Black Rock captain.

The dog is related to the owner of the Black Rock, I think. There was something in one of the backstory novels that linked to it. I could be wrong though(Michael & NYC).

Heh, nothing in this show makes sense. Walt appeared on the edge of the mass grave after being gone for a season. Michael could pop up somewhere. IIRC the producers said he would be making a comeback.

SPOILER: Michael
The spoiler I read (and posted above) says that Michael is the focus of the 8th episode (with a flashback/forward)

I was really waiting for him to say "My name is Daniels." It's weird to see an actor from the Wire in another role. It reminds me that The Wire is actually fiction, not reality.

You must not watch much Law and Order. I've seen Bunk, Rawls, Omar, Namond and about a million more on one of those at one point or another. I think it might have something to do with the David Simon/Dick Wolf connection from Homicide days or they're just good actors working on the East coast.

Also, Daniels showed up in a Super Bowl Cadillac ad. And he was still kinda creepy. Not sure what audience they're going for with him.

Archived