Lost season 4.1.b.2

Arataniello

So, I guess those were flashbacks? But only back to after the plane crash.

Anyway, the obvious guess is that Dharma is trying to retake the Island, and they know that Ben is the one who engineered the revolt years ago. But that begs the question of why they would go in with 4 people who aren't related to Dharma. Although Charlotte seemed to be excited to find the Dharma collar in Tunisia (and what was that all about? Did a polar bear escape from the Island to Tunisia, or maybe Dharma had another facility in Tunisia at some point).

Also, the picture of the pilot (Matt Parkman from Heroes) - he didn't have a mustache in the pilot episode, did he?

Anyway, the obvious guess is that Dharma is trying to retake the Island, and they know that Ben is the one who engineered the revolt years ago. But that begs the question of why they would go in with 4 people who aren't related to Dharma. Although Charlotte seemed to be excited to find the Dharma collar in Tunisia (and what was that all about? Did a polar bear escape from the Island to Tunisia, or maybe Dharma had another facility in Tunisia at some point).

My guess is that Dharma is/was mucking around with time and space, resulting in a polar being where it shouldn't be.

Also, the picture of the pilot (Matt Parkman from Heroes) - he didn't have a mustache in the pilot episode, did he?

He was the copilot, no?

I'd like to know how a plane flying from Sydney to LA supposedly crashed in the Indian Ocean. "Off course" is a fine answer but it's West versus East. Shouldn't that have bothered the former 815 pilot more than a missing wedding ring?

As for Tunisia, it's something of a relief to me as Nigeria is a hell of a lot closer to Tunisia than Australia.

During the Season 3 commentary for one of the episodes, the writers go on and on about there are no flashbacks for dead characters. So is Naomi dead or what?

If the selected team is those four who all had flashbacks with Naomi as their leader, who the hell is McCowsky?

So the tall stranger who wanted Hurley to return to the island is also behind the freighter crew. I don't think Dharma or the Island is the real answer here. I think Charlotte's response to hearing about how Claire gave birth on the island is. The Tall Man doesn't want Ben, he wants the same answers/results Ben wants.

Good episode. This should have been hour two of the premier.

I also called like 2 minutes in that Dan was a physicist. :):cheers:

You could almost smell the body odor... and you could see the desperation for an assistance adjunct professorship in his eyes. :)

That episode rocked. Ever since season 1 the action level has dropped off a cliff. This one ramped it back up again.

The episode was highly reminiscent of Close Encounters of the Third Kins.

I wonder if the Island is reached by having a critical mass of messed up people who need help? The slaves on the Black Rock, the Dharma Initiative being paranoid about the world, most of flight 815? Maybe that's why it is so hard to reach otherwise? Kind of like a mega spirit lodge that Locke used in his commune?

ETA: What type of rifle was Sayid carrying in this episode?

I think one of the Dharma machines is a teleporter, which is why Ben did that thing last season with Locke, saying, "Anything you want, I can make it appear in that room." Or whatever it was he said. But otherwise (and it took me a while to sort out my thoughts on this) I think you're right, and Daniels, Naomi, Charlotte, and the others are with the leftovers of the Dharma Initiative. They have a ship looking for Ben and revenge, but Ben (always being 1.5 steps ahead) knew about it because he has a spy on board. I think that spy is Michael, and that's how he's going to end up in the coffin later on. He took his boat back to the mainland and hooked up with Others, Inc. there. I don't have anything to confirm this and I may be way off. I haven't seen any spoilers, soo....

Random thoughts:

-What's with shows involving the paranormal and Tunisia? That was a base of operations for the consortium in X-Files, IIRC.

-Where have I seen the actress who plays Charlotte before?

-Why does Charlotte have the same field outfit as me? :P

Good episode, with some nice stupidity from Sawyer ("Walt's a giant?") and some good introductions for the new characters. Having one of them captured by Team Locke was a good idea as well. Is the smoke monster not related to DHARMA/the Others or anything else then? Juliet claimed to have no idea what it was last season other than it didn't like the sonic fence and Ben claims not to know what it is either (of course, he's a lying SOB).

Also looks like more evidence for teleporting/vortices, with a Hydra Station collar and a polar bear corpse being found in Tunisia.

Given that the crash happened less than 100 days ago, they sure found the fake plane, put together a 'rescue' party and then rushed them to the area quite quickly. If it is Michael on the boat I'd say he's using an alias, otherwise the pilot would have recognised his name from 815's manifest.

In typical Lost fashion it got right to the end and then stopped at precisely the moment you didn't want it to. Grrr. Roll on next week!

I wasn't sure if I should get my hopes up last week, since the first episode was basically just setting up the season's premise, but after this one I am confident they are going to deliver a decent resolution for all this insanity (time travelling polar bears in Tunisia?!).

I can forgive quite a lot if the show finishes strong. Well, as long as nobody forces me to rewatch the long stretches of tedium in season 2-3. ;)

Michael as the mole for Ben I buy a lot more easily than I do that it's Michael in the coffin...

Couldn't he be BOTH? He COULD be one of the Oceanic 6. Walt the "giant" would make it kind of tough. And if he is working for Ben, along with the Hatch betrayal murders, could be some of the early reasons why Micael was neither friend nor family.

FYI: The helecopter pilot is Jeff Fahey, long time actor who starred in the "Lawnmower Man". I believe the actor who plays Dan was the timid interpretor corporal Upham in Saving Private Ryan.

Given that the crash happened less than 100 days ago, they sure found the fake plane, put together a 'rescue' party and then rushed them to the area quite quickly.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe time outside moves faster, i.e. in real world months (years?) have passed since the crash? IIRC, there was some speculation about that before.

Random thoughts:

-Where have I seen the actress who plays Charlotte before?

Could be any of these -

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1242950/

I notice that Charlotte's name is Charlotte Staples Lewis - CS Lewis. So everything is really happening in Narnia. It all makes more sense now.

Aratan

FYI: The helecopter pilot is Jeff Fahey, long time actor who starred in the "Lawnmower Man". I believe the actor who plays Dan was the timid interpretor corporal Upham in Saving Private Ryan.

Yeah, Dan played Gene in Rescue Dawn too. If you didn't see the movie (which was very good), Gene was a little crazy in that movie and had many of the same mannerisms Dan has.

No, the polar bear was possibly only teleported. No evidence of time travel. That would be really silly :P

I don't see where the time travel thing came from either, at least not from the polar bear. I mean, if you have the resources to take a polar bear off an island in the South Pacific and stick it in Tunisia, surely it's not that much more difficult to change its z coordinate by a few meters and put it in some post-glacial sediments? :P

Yeah, Jeremy Davies also played the same type of evasive character in Solaris (I'll have to see Rescue Dawn), but I like it and it's a good fit for Lost so play it to the hilt Jeremy.

Sorry to get off topic. But Rescue Dawn is a little disturbing. And the characters are in a refugee camp in Laos and actually lost a ton of weight to look authentic. Jeremy Davies is disturbing to look at in the movie. But it was very good. My wife and I wanted to go see Knocked Up but it wasn't playing at the theater anymore. I heard Rescue Dawn was good, so we went to see that and let's just say it is a very different movie from Knocked Up. I don't think we were mentally prepared to watch that type of movie, but it was very good.

Archived