April '08 Reading Thread

RedEyedGhost

I finished [b]Lord Foul's Bane[/b], and I don't think it's worth my time to read the second and third books. I liked some of Donaldson's short stories, and Mirror of Her Dreams was the worst book I've ever read (worse than the Yeard!), but Thomas Covenant just fell flat. I didn't find him too unsympathetic and whiny. He seemed pretty realistic for a modern man who falls into a fantasy world (instead of being a Gary Stu who immediately accepts his role as a hero and accepts and learns the way the fantasy land works immediately). Even the terrible thing that he did to Lena makes some sense if he truly believed himself to be in a dream or a fantasy. Ever played a violent video game? But I just couldn't bring myself to care about him or the fate of the Land. The plot was very predictable, Covenant become predictable, and the other characters almost all completely lacked complexity or even individuality. I don't know why this is considered a must-read in fantasy. Even though I know a lot of other people disliked it or didn't finish it, it's talked about a lot.

I just bought [b]Night Watch[/b] by Lukyanenko, because I remembered other people talking about it here and started a conversation with a guy in the airport bookstore. He said he'd read it and enjoyed it. I'm about a third through and so far it's great. It's the first time in a long time that a quick read has really kept me engaged- besides the unimpressive TC, I've been trying to wade through a book about physics and although enjoyable, it takes a lot of brain energy.

[quote name='Bellis' post='1313551' date='Apr 14 2008, 19.20'][b]The End of the Affair[/b] by Graham Greene. Greene is now my favorite writer - his character development, plotting, prose, themes are all... perfect. I'm sad I didn't get around to read him earlier. This particular story has a very religious theme, but it's thought-provoking and non-polemical. Look for more Greene in my next update.[/quote]I loved this book. Greene, along with the rest of Waugh is to be stretched out over the next few years rather than gobbled up in one go. :)

[quote name='Eponine R' post='1314355' date='Apr 15 2008, 04.14']Mirror of Her Dreams was the worst book I've ever read (worse than the Yeard!),[/quote]
Thanks for saying that. I too thought the duology was really bad.

(I couldn't stomach Covenant and couldn't give him a pass for what he did, regardless of whether he thought it was a dream)

Kust finished some graphic novels:

1) [u]Girl Genius [/u]vol 1 thru 6 by Phil Foglio - Love the art and the story is funny.

2) [u]The Goon [/u]by Eric Powell - very funny! Zombies, Robots, Monsters, Sea Creatures....the Goon crushes all!

3) [u]American Born Chinese [/u]by Gene Luen Yang - funny and touching story of self discovery

4) [u]The Claws Come Out [/u]by Pat Lewis - funny collection of comedic horror stories from a womans perspective.

Just started [u]Matter[/u] by Ian M Banks. Its been a very long time since I read any Banks. I am looking forward to it!

[quote name='Eponine R' post='1314355' date='Apr 14 2008, 20.14']I finished [b]Lord Foul's Bane[/b], and I don't think it's worth my time to read the second and third books. I liked some of Donaldson's short stories, and Mirror of Her Dreams was the worst book I've ever read (worse than the Yeard!), but Thomas Covenant just fell flat. I didn't find him too unsympathetic and whiny. He seemed pretty realistic for a modern man who falls into a fantasy world (instead of being a Gary Stu who immediately accepts his role as a hero and accepts and learns the way the fantasy land works immediately). Even the terrible thing that he did to Lena makes some sense if he truly believed himself to be in a dream or a fantasy. Ever played a violent video game? But I just couldn't bring myself to care about him or the fate of the Land. The plot was very predictable, Covenant become predictable, and the other characters almost all completely lacked complexity or even individuality. I don't know why this is considered a must-read in fantasy. Even though I know a lot of other people disliked it or didn't finish it, it's talked about a lot.[/quote]

I completely agree. Part of me wonders who [i]actually[/i] wrote [i]The Gap[/i] series, because judging by Donaldson's other novels, it couldn't have been him.

Finished [b]King of Foxes[/b], the 2nd in the Conclave of the Shadows trilogy. Overall I [url="http://fantasybookreviewer.blogspot.com/2008/04/review-king-of-foxes-raymond-e-feist.html"]liked [/url]it. This series is a good return to form for Feist after the not very good Krondor books (though i could only make it through the first Krondor book before moving on to this series). This was also my first novel read on my Sony Reader..which is pretty sweet.

Next up I will return to [b]A Darkness Forged[/b] in Fire by Chris Evans. 100 pages into it and its ok so far..i see some potential, but also some rough edges.

I've just finished [i]A Hazard of New Fortunes[/i] by William Dean Howells. The first hundred pages were a slow start and struggle for me, but after this the novel really improved. The thing I liked best about it was the depiction of 19th century New York and the social injustice there.
Anyway, now that I've finished my college reading for the moment, I can continue with the [i]Jon Shannow[/i] series. I'll be starting [i]the Last Guardian[/i] tomorrow.

Earlier this month, I finished Sarah Monette's [i][b]The Mirador[/b][/i], which I absolutely loved. The whole series is my favorite book discovery of this year so far. The ambiance and characters made it exactly the type of story I enjoy, and Monette is now one of my top 5 favorite authors.

Then I read Ann Aguirre's debut and the first book in the Jax series, [i][b]Grimspace[/b][/i]. It was a very fast-paced, fun space opera romance/adventure. It was nothing mind-blowing but it was certainly entertaining.

Now I am reading Lois McMaster Bujold's [i][b]Cordelia's Honor[/b] [/i]omnibus, starting with [i][b]Shards of Honor[/b][/i]. So far, it is rather enjoyable.

Glad to hear that you liked Monette's work, as I have enjoyed almost all of her writings, both short and long fiction alike. Didn't like Aguirre's debut as much as you did, but it was nothing offensive, which is why I haven't said much about it, as I know it'll appeal a lot more to many than it would to me.

As for my latest reads, received two books today. Milan Kundera's [i]The Book of Laughter and Forgetting[/i] is first, to be followed by Liliana Bodoc's middle volume in an epic fantasy trilogy, [i]Los días de la sombra[/i]. It's an interesting take on the epic invasion model, taking as its analogue the "discovery" of America and the conquests that followed. As big of a seller as this is in the Spanish-speaking world, I wonder if/when they'll ever do an English translation.

Since the last time I posted I finished three of the wife's smut Hamilton books. -not that good.

I am now finally getting around to reading [i]The Lies of Locke Lamorra[/i]. What a cool book. Love the writing. Love the characters.

I've put [url="http://natsecorma.net/theredundantblog/2008/04/15/watchmen-by-alan-moore-dave-gibbon-john-higgins/"]a review[/url] of Alan Moore's 'Watchmen'.

[i][indent]Writing a review of ‘Watchmen’ is hard work for any poor bastard assigned with the task. No matter what angle you choose to approach this seminal work with, no matter how you dissect it and not matter how many fancy words you use to shroud your intent, you only end up saying the same god-damn thing:

‘Watchmen’ is the best graphic novel I’ve ever read.

Now, that sentence sure looks nice when it’s centred and highlighted like I’ve done here, but it doesn’t mean as much as you’d think. It doesn’t mean that I haven’t read other comics that I haven’t found more enjoyable on certain levels, nor does it necessarily imply that I think it’s perfect on all accounts. But it does mean that ‘Watchmen’ is so jaw-droppingly awesome that I can’t quite believe it actually exists.[/indent][/i]

Reading is going slow at the moment. I feel like I'm kinda 'in between' the books I really want to read, like 'Neuropath' or Doctorow's newest offering, 'Little Brother'.

I am, however, halfway through Christopher Priest's 'The Prestige' (just as good as the other books I've read by him), and I'm also reading quite a lot of comics.

[quote name='Eponine R' post='1314355' date='Apr 15 2008, 04.14']I finished [b]Lord Foul's Bane[/b], and I don't think it's worth my time to read the second and third books. I liked some of Donaldson's short stories, and Mirror of Her Dreams was the worst book I've ever read (worse than the Yeard!), but Thomas Covenant just fell flat. I didn't find him too unsympathetic and whiny. He seemed pretty realistic for a modern man who falls into a fantasy world (instead of being a Gary Stu who immediately accepts his role as a hero and accepts and learns the way the fantasy land works immediately). Even the terrible thing that he did to Lena makes some sense if he truly believed himself to be in a dream or a fantasy. Ever played a violent video game? But I just couldn't bring myself to care about him or the fate of the Land. The plot was very predictable, Covenant become predictable, and the other characters almost all completely lacked complexity or even individuality. I don't know why this is considered a must-read in fantasy. Even though I know a lot of other people disliked it or didn't finish it, it's talked about a lot.[/quote]
I didn't like [i]Lord Foul's Bane [/i]much either. Pretty much for the same reasons as you. It was the first of Donaldson's books I'd read. I think Thomas Covenant was far too whiny to read about for a whole book. He defeated the whole point on a main character; you're supposed to be able to feel sympathy for him!

[quote name='Black Wizard' post='1316226' date='Apr 16 2008, 12.04']I think Thomas Covenant was far too whiny to read about for a whole book.[/quote]

Ditto.
I got about 1/3 or 1/2 through the first book and then took all 6 and gave it to my local library.

To a certain degree when I started to read The shadow of Torturer by Gene wolfe, its protagonist reminded me of TC.

I just finished The Iron Dragons Daughter - Michael Swanwick, i have wanted to read this book for a long time now but had not got round to it, i thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so different and refreshing i could not put it down.

I am also currently reading House of Chains - Steven Erikson, also about to start Lord of Light - Roger Zelazny & Winterbirth - Brian Ruckley.

Finished [i][u]The Grand Crusade [/u][/i]by Michael Stackpole. It was the best book of the trilogy, but I felt there was alot of filler and it could've been alot shorter. The best scenes was where the characters interacted with each other, but there was far too much description of battle arrangements, logistics and entire chapters devoted to a battle. I don't mind a good battle scene (ie Battle of Blackwater Bay), but when he goes on to describe every detail of each regiment, I found it tedious. Still, it is a decent read with some interesting characters and some plot unpredicability.
On to a re-read of the First Law Trilogy , now that I have a copy of [i][u]Last Argument of Kings[/u][/i]! :thumbsup:

I started it and I found out I couldn't remember who Goyle was......so a re-read. (It has been a year since I read [i][u]Before They are Hanged[/u][/i]!)

[quote name='Guinevere Seaworth' post='1316534' date='Apr 16 2008, 10.30']Finished [i][u]The Grand Crusade [/u][/i]by Michael Stackpole. It was the best book of the trilogy, but I felt there was alot of filler and it could've been alot shorter. The best scenes was where the characters interacted with each other, but there was far too much description of battle arrangements, logistics and entire chapters devoted to a battle. I don't mind a good battle scene (ie Battle of Blackwater Bay), but when he goes on to describe every detail of each regiment, I found it tedious. Still, it is a decent read with some interesting characters and some plot unpredicability.[/quote]

I devoured all four books in that trilogy (prequel, baby!) when I discovered it. I think I had about the same feelings about the end as well. :P

I'm currently on Neil Gabler's [i]Disney[/i] bio.

Archived