Frak me! It's another Battlestar Galactica thread!

Werthead

[quote name='Sad King Billy' post='1332530' date='Apr 28 2008, 16.03'][url="http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/interviews/leah_cairns_03_big.jpg"]you know, she kinda does....[/url]
:stunned: :cheers: :drool:

*intelligence has gone on holiday, please leave a message after the beeb*[/quote]

I'll...

I'll...

I'll be back in about twenty minutes...

[quote name='Sad King Billy' post='1332530' date='Apr 28 2008, 16.03'][url="http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/interviews/leah_cairns_03_big.jpg"]you know, she kinda does....[/url]
:stunned: :cheers: :drool:

*intelligence has gone on holiday, please leave a message after the beeb*[/quote]

:drool:

I think I'm gonna take a nap now.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1332556' date='Apr 28 2008, 13.18']Fine, I'm an abnormal nitpicker.

:/[/quote]
I'm with ya Scot. I can never watch [i]Crimson Tide[/i] again due to crap like that.

[quote name='The Stranger' post='1332558' date='Apr 28 2008, 13.20']I'll...

I'll...

I'll be back in about twenty minutes...[/quote]
C'mon guys...

[quote name='Lord of Oop North' post='1332564' date='Apr 28 2008, 13.24']:drool:

I think I'm gonna take a nap now.[/quote]
... it's "I'll be in my bunk."

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1332634' date='Apr 28 2008, 14.27']Okay, now I get to look ignorant, what's wrong with "Crimson Tide"? The nuclear release procedures?[/quote]

I would have to watch it again to make a complete list of all that is screwed up in that movie. As previously stated, I can never do that. But, in reference to your pip frustrations, I will dredge up from my memory a scene wherein a Chief Petty Officer was wearing an officer's combination cap (clearly different looking.) That sort of BS pulled me out of the movie every few seconds.

Props to the scene where the radioman hangs up on the XO though.

I liked the episode, even though it was the "Feast for Crows" of this season so far (and the fourth episode no less!). I had only one problem, namely the first scene with Adama and Roslin as they leave the infirmary - it just rang a bit false, not because of the actors, but because much of the scene was transparent exposition-as-dialogue wherein Roslin complains about Baltar's "cult" and Adama provides exposition-laden sympathetic responses. Did anyone else feel that this scene didn't quite work?

The Chief/Adama scene, on the other hand... kudos all 'round.

[quote name='Aemon Stark' post='1332919' date='Apr 28 2008, 20.30']Did anyone else feel that this scene didn't quite work?[/quote]

I thought it was great when he started reading the book from memory at the point where he earlier stopped reading the book. The passage itself and his reaction to it (memorizing it) was really revealing. Very well done, IMO.

[quote name='Lord of Oop North' post='1332981' date='Apr 28 2008, 22.23']I thought it was great when he started reading the book from memory at the point where he earlier stopped reading the book. The passage itself and his reaction to it (memorizing it) was really revealing. Very well done, IMO.[/quote]

Oh, that scene was great - it was rather the earlier one where the book was first mentioned. As an aside, I'd like to see more details of the Adama/Roslyn "relationship", not because I think anything is going on per se, but because it's a vaguely uplifting detail in a rather grim, dark show.

I'm fairly certain I recall a few disturbed/awed reaction shots from the cult during that final Head-6 sequence. And at least one shot purposely showing the viewer what the onlookers were seeing when Head-6 threw Gaius at the guard.

Now, if no one coments on it in the weeks to come, [i]that[/i] would be bullshit.

And add my vote to the "they overkilled the raptor crash" crowd. Like they wanted to horrify the viewer, but didn't want any real consequences coming out of it. I mean, besides the way to screwed with Galen's head.

[quote name='The Stranger' post='1332453' date='Apr 28 2008, 16.19']i had a harder time lately when I just rewatched the early part of Season 3, when the rebels on New Caprica started fighting with what are clearly AK-47s. I acknowledge that these people speak english, write in the roman alphabet and worship greek gods. for some reason I can take those, but not the laziness of just using a godsdamned Kalashnikov.[/quote]
Almost every gun used on the show is real or a modification of a real gun. I don't know about the pistols, but the Marines use either P90s or Cx4 carbines as their standard rifle, while Starbuck was running around with Skorpions when she met Ander's group.

edit: [url="http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Small_arms"]http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Small_arms[/url]

RDM commentary on Cally's death is brilliant:

[quote]"We're rooting for Tory, we're rooting for Cally, she's saying all the right things, it's all going to be all right, no it's not, WHACK! Ha ha! It's so wrong but it's so right!"[/quote]

[quote name='Werthead' post='1332159' date='Apr 28 2008, 11.35']The one thing I hope they don't do is make Lee President after Roslin dies. That would be too corncheese.[/quote]

I disagree. Lee Adama is seen as a War Hero and as someone who led combat missions and fighter pilots. Alot of people respect him, he is also leading the charge against what many see as the President's Tyranical approach (Justified or not). I think it can be a natural plot progression. Lee could be great in that kind of role, at the same token he could become a "Grant" just as easily and have an office where his strings are being pulled or he is being easily manipulated.

The conflict between him and his father pratically writes itself.

Guest Raidne
Lee is becoming too much of a Mary Sue, IMO. It'd be better if Dualla hated him, or his father didn't respect his decision, or something. Or if it turns out that he's totally getting played by Zarek.

[quote name='Raidne' post='1333512' date='Apr 29 2008, 08.36']Lee is becoming too much of a Mary Sue, IMO. It'd be better if Dualla hated him, or his father didn't respect his decision, or something. Or if it turns out that he's totally getting played by Zarek.[/quote]

I think there is significance in his call sign, that of Apollo, that the show has been playing on. Apollo has always been a bit of a Mary Sue, but could never quite get there. He always fell a little short, never quite getting the girl, never quite getting the accolades, always stuck in the shadow of Zeus. I see the same of Lee. He didn't get the girl he wanted, he never could equal or surpass his father in the fleet. Lee has found another path of success, so it leaves me wondering if he would be able to escape being "Apollo" or if again he will fail in some way.

I think it is what makes his character intriguing, it is how he fails. Not that he does fail.

[quote name='Guy Kilmore' post='1333596' date='Apr 29 2008, 09.34']I think it is what makes his character intriguing, it is how he fails. Not that he does fail.[/quote]

Maybe if the guy playing him knew how to act...

[quote name='Relic' post='1333608' date='Apr 29 2008, 09.43']Maybe if the guy playing him knew how to act...[/quote]
Well my wife digs looking at him, so it lets me watch the show...gotta take the good with the bad :P

Guest Raidne
[quote name='Guy Kilmore' post='1333623' date='Apr 29 2008, 10.53']Well my wife digs looking at him, so it lets me watch the show...gotta take the good with the bad :P[/quote]

Yeah, I'd forgive a lot if they could contrive a way to put him back in a towel more often.

[quote name='Raidne' post='1333512' date='Apr 29 2008, 08.36']Lee is becoming too much of a Mary Sue, IMO. It'd be better if Dualla hated him, or his father didn't respect his decision, or something. Or if it turns out that he's totally getting played by Zarek.[/quote]

This would mark a vast improvement based on the simple necessity of more screen time for Dualla.

Archived