Frak me! It's another Battlestar Galactica thread!

Werthead

Well, the Adama/Tyrol scene was pretty intense. But Eddie Olmos telling Boxey to eat his brocoli would probably still make better television than a lot of shows.

I was hoping for more basestar on basestar action this week, or at least something about the fallout from the same.

Ok. I have trouble recognizing faces. Tigh [i]was[/i] seeing Ellen's face when he was talking to Six, right?

In honor of Ellen, [url="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/23/DDASMUSSENBR.DTL&hw=don+asmussen&sn=002&sc=741"]here's a link.[/url]

[quote name='Kat' post='1330301' date='Apr 26 2008, 01.41']Ok. I have trouble recognizing faces. Tigh [i]was[/i] seeing Ellen's face when he was talking to Six, right?[/quote]

Sometimes, yes. His perception would switch back and forth.

Incidentally, I like how the Final Four have all decided that becoming a Cylon is a good excuse to go batshit nuts in their different ways. Except, I suppose, for Anders, who married Kara Thrace and thus was already clearly insane.

Not the greatest episode, but it was alright. I could have been improved with lots of Cylon-on-the-basestar action, because that is awesome, but maybe they are saving that for next week.

But the CGI in the beginning of the episode was frakking great :thumbsup: . I mean, when the raptor flies out of the hangar. Awesome.

[quote name='HokieStone' post='1330230' date='Apr 25 2008, 22.52']Tonight's episode was possibly the most boring of the entire 4 seasons.[/quote]
Good, so I wasn't the only one thinking this.

It wasn't bad, it was just, blah. People talked, shouted, hit other people, and there were sparks on the flight deck, but it still felt like nothing happened for an hour.

I thought it was decent. There were a lot of interesting scenes. Although it did suffer from not having any sort of climax.

ETA:

I think people seem to forget that BSG has always been mostly human drama, rather than action. If this episode had focused more on Gaius, and rising religious discontent, and then had some sort of violent climax (which seems like it is obviously going to happen eventually) then it would have been greatly improved. I don't know why the writers think they need to fit everyone into every episode. The show never used to do that, and it still maintained a good arc.

[quote name='Mr. X' post='1330397' date='Apr 26 2008, 09.04']Good, so I wasn't the only one thinking this.

It wasn't bad, it was just, blah. People talked, shouted, hit other people, and there were sparks on the flight deck, but it still felt like nothing happened for an hour.[/quote]

You know, I'd forgotten about the Raptor crash landing. How in the world did Racetrack and her RIO survive that? It looked like they hit nose down, and the entire cockpit got sheared off...and then exploded!

[quote name='mcbigski' post='1330251' date='Apr 26 2008, 00.31']Well, the Adama/Tyrol scene was pretty intense. But Eddie Olmos telling Boxey to eat his brocoli would probably still make better television than a lot of shows.[/quote]

I liked that scene, too. Tyrol was freaking out because he thought maybe, just maybe he screwed up the raptor on purpose (like Boomer was sabotaging stuff before she knew she was a cylon) - and the whole point of the scene was him pleading with Adama to remove him from a position where he might do harm. And Adama [i]gets it![/i] That's a pretty great example of acting, writing and direction when they can have parallel conversations like that.

My impression of this episode is that it was about how the four "new" cylons are dealing with their identities. Tori seems like an adopted kid who just found out she is part of some exotic culture and she is exploring it. I suspect she is hanging around Baltar because the concept of one god is a cylon thing and because he knows more about the cylons than anyone else in the fleet.

I think Tigh just wants to know that the things he defines himself by, his love for his wife and his loyalty to Adama and the fleet are real and not just programming.

As an episode this one wasn't really much for moving the plot forward, it was more about character development- resetting some of the main players in their new identities. Not the most gripping type of instalent, I agree. Except that by the time it occured to me to be slighty bored with all the angst it was suddenly over. How does an hour fly by so fast even on a sub-par episode??

[quote name='HokieStone' post='1330483' date='Apr 26 2008, 12.00']You know, I'd forgotten about the Raptor crash landing. How in the world did Racetrack and her RIO survive that? It looked like they hit nose down, and the entire cockpit got sheared off...and then exploded![/quote]

I noticed that too! I thought Racetrack was dead for sure and was ready to mourn her.

I wasn't quite as disappointed as the rest of you, but it wasn't a great episode. I found Tigh's mental problems pretty compelling actually.

My cable provider lists a brief synopsis of each episode when I select it off the DVR. I try not to read it but can't help but see the first part of it every time. In this case, it read something like "While mourning the loss of a crew member...." So I figured out somebody dies. Then Racetrack spins in and I think, uh-oh. Bye there. But I guess in retrospect they were still talking about Cally - whom I always found attractive but henceforth will always be associated in my mind with the smell of cabbage.

The writers failed to account for the difference between spacecraft and aircraft in this one. A malfunctioning spacecraft under most circumstances would be shut down except for life support - the LAST thing you'd do is try to make an emergency carrier landing. If the engine is unshutdownable, then every other ship would just back off until it could be shut down or just ran out of fuel. Then rush in and save the crew before life support failure became critical. When an aircraft malfunctions, you have to try to land it before gravity does its nasty business. Not so with a Raptor.

[quote name='Lord of Oop North' post='1330488' date='Apr 26 2008, 11.03']I noticed that too! I thought Racetrack was dead for sure and was ready to mourn her.[/quote]
I was so ready to be pissed at the show. Cally, sure, kill her off. But not Racetrack, and not because the Chief frakked up. That said, the conversation between Tyrol and Adama was simply stunning.

I do wonder how Cylon-Tyrol will react if he ever learns Cylon-Tory killed Cally to save Toasterling-Nicky.

Giving the baby the name "Nicky" is weird, in light of the fact that Cally was played by a woman named Nikki.

I really liked the Mithraism reference* when they were discussing Baltar's cult, but other than that it was fairly dull.

*I say this with the caveat that if the colonials come to a past version of Earth and start all of our religions, I will go apeshit and throw my tv at a wall.

Well the show jumped the shark this episode.

Baltar clearly gets picked up by an invisable force and noone bats a freakin eyebrow...

I get the feeling certain writers want to write a West Wing in Space. So feel the need to bore us to fuckin death with badly written political garbage. Lee + Politics = Most boring character developement ever concieved.

I am pretty sure the Writers knowing this is their last season can't be fuckin bothered anymore.

This is what you get for making your universe barren and boring. No Aliens = Having to resort to non-action filler episodes.

But no they'd rather rabbit on about fantasy level religious discussions or bullshit politics

[quote name='Xanrn' post='1330836' date='Apr 26 2008, 16.43']Well the show jumped the shark this episode.

Baltar clearly gets picked up by an invisable force and noone bats a freakin eyebrow...[/quote]

I am hoping that Baltar's perception of being picked up by Caprica Six is the same sort of thing as Tyrol's vision of Adama pointing out that he's a Cylon and his child a freak, Roslin seeing snakes or Tigh seeing Ellen - it didn't REALLY happen except in Baltar's mind. I genuinely believe he was only figuratively picked up by her and from the POV of other observers, he staggered to his feet on his own.

Archived