Yet another frakkin' BSG thread

Wouter

[quote name='Raidne' post='1363947' date='May 21 2008, 10.17']BSG should take a page from Lost on how to work a good love triangle.[/quote]

This was a joke, right? This has to have been a joke. Lost's love triangle is ridiculous, the parts of the show where it's emphasized tend to be some of the worst and the parts where it plays no role tend to be some of the best.

So I've finally managed to get my hands on the episode and I come in and you guys are bitching about fundamentalists? Sheesh. I mean, I get that there's some serious BSG haterade flowing this season, but let's confine it to the show, eh?

Have to say I agree with the general sentiment that the artificial tension was well, artificial, but I guess it goes to further reinforce the notion that deep down, the Five don't want to hurt the other Cylons now that they know what they are. The fact that it's Tigh (who goes overboard in his reaction) who broke things up does at least add an interesting element there.

Athena shooting Natalie - ice cold! It seemed clear to me that she was off the reservation there, and not thinking rationally at all. You have to figure that's a decision that the humans will come to regret. Having read the thread, though, I do agree that it's interesting that it was the Cylon who shot the Cylon. But will the Rebels see that distinction? Probably not (and I'm not sure that they should).

No new episode for two weeks? What am I supposed to watch on TV this week with no Lost and no BSG? Oh well.

Guest Raidne
[quote name='Limecat' post='1364642' date='May 21 2008, 15.56']They don't always show them up here in Canada.[/quote]

Did not know that. Good to know before I said something then.

Spoilering aside, isn't the whole point of being VP that you step in for the Pres when she's incapacitated? So I would think Zarek would be acting President, and someone else, like Lee, might be third in line if something happened, like, oh, Zarek turned out to be one of the final 5 or something.

Yeah, I'm thinking Lee will be VP first, then ... Shit=>Fan.

And yes, MANY people completely skip the "Next Time" stuff because they spoil huge chunks of the episode. I'm gonna watch it anyway, I don't need to have the episode spoiled.

Guest Raidne
[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1364652' date='May 21 2008, 17.00']This was a joke, right? This has to have been a joke. Lost's love triangle is ridiculous, the parts of the show where it's emphasized tend to be some of the worst and the parts where it plays no role tend to be some of the best.[/quote]

Nope. It's been tedious in the past, but they're doing a great job with it this season, and it's tied right into the plot, like the Lee/Kara/Sam thing should be. Hell, at this point there seems to be more a relationship between Leoben and Kara than either of those two, which is, IMHO, annoying.

It's just weird that it's [i]always[/i] been a central part of the show, and it's just...gone.

[quote name='Raidne' post='1364704' date='May 21 2008, 21.31']Nope. It's been tedious in the past, but they're doing a great job with it this season, and it's tied right into the plot, like the Lee/Kara/Sam thing should be. Hell, at this point there seems to be more a relationship between Leoben and Kara than either of those two, [b]which is, IMHO, annoying[/b].[/quote]
I disagree! More Leoben screen time! :drool:

Which reminds me. The idea that Leoben will "take care of the Centurions" while whats-her-name stalls Adama, man... that made me sad. Likely that meant no more Leoben. :( I doubt "taking care of the Centurions" is good for your Cylon-no-resurrection health.

[quote name='Raidne' post='1364704' date='May 21 2008, 16.31']Nope. It's been tedious in the past, but they're doing a great job with it this season, and it's tied right into the plot, like the Lee/Kara/Sam thing should be. Hell, at this point there seems to be more a relationship between Leoben and Kara than either of those two, which is, IMHO, annoying.

It's just weird that it's [i]always[/i] been a central part of the show, and it's just...gone.[/quote]

Eh, the Love-Square thing died right before Starbuck did. Maelstrom went out of it's way to show her and Lee's relationship was back at square 1 "Good friends/brother-sister" kinda thing.

Interesting.

Sky One are apparently going ahead and showing the next episode of [b]BSG[/b] on Tuesday night as planned, meaning that they're going to be pulling ahead of US transmission for the rest of the season.

Sweet! :)

[quote name='potsherds' post='1364741' date='May 21 2008, 14.48']I disagree! More Leoben screen time! :drool:[/quote]
You know, if the name Leoban was an actual name, not made up, my second son would've had it. :lol:

[quote name='Shryke' post='1366500' date='May 22 2008, 20.16']Damn you to hell!!!

[sub]Not really, I'll get it anyway. .... somehow .... :leaving: [/sub][/quote]

Yeah, I keep expecting them to suddenly announce they're taking a week off to let the USA get back in front but no sign of it so far.

Pity it's not for Season 4.5 as well though. Since the show started on Sky One (Season 1 aired [i]months[/i] ahead of US transmission) it would be kind of fitting if it ended there as well.

[quote name='potsherds' post='1364741' date='May 21 2008, 23.48']I disagree! More Leoben screen time! :drool:

Which reminds me. The idea that Leoben will "take care of the Centurions" while whats-her-name stalls Adama, man... that made me sad. Likely that meant no more Leoben. :( I doubt "taking care of the Centurions" is good for your Cylon-no-resurrection health.[/quote]
Taking care of the Centurions likely means talking them around (again, after they just had convinced them to take hostages). He didn't really get his time though, and a sudden jump from the hybrid was never in the cards. Having said that, I doubt it will come to bloodshed - they still want to go after the hub and they need the Vipers (and associated humans - deckhands and pilots) for that.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1366894' date='May 22 2008, 22.46']What's the plan for episodes airing anyway Wert? Like, we get how many more now, and then how many later?[/quote]

According to NBC it goes:

SPOILER: Episode Titles
408: Sine Qua Non (27 May in the UK, 30 May in the US)
409: The Hub (3 June in the UK, 6 June in the US)
410: Revelations (10 June in the UK, 13 June in the US)

It then gets a bit iffy. The next episode is listed:

SPOILER: Episode Title
411: Sometimes a Great Notion (17 June in the UK, 20 June in the US)

But they were only going to end on 411 if the Writer's Strike had knocked out production for the rest of the year altogether. With the Writer's Strike over and production on Season 4.5 nearly complete (they've finished writing and IIRC they're filming 418 or 419 right now), they may end on 410 instead. Apparently 410 has the ultimate killer cliffhanger and 411 resolves that nicely.

Whichever way they go, there is no airdate for the rest of the season. Apparently RDM is pushing hard for the autumn because that will allow them to air Season 4.5 and the [b]Caprica[/b] pilot at the same time and really get the publicity going. However, it seems that it's more likely that 4.5 will air in January or possibly even later in 2009.

[quote]However, it seems that it's more likely that 4.5 will air in January or possibly even later in 2009.[/quote]
People have been hanged for less.

I really hope we get to see "Sometimes a great notion" before the break. But as you say, they probably can't resist that cliffhanger and it would split the season 10-10.

On the other hand, the announced webisodes may require this episode would be aired unless they don't quite fit in chronologically. I suppose 4-11 will follow directly after 4-10, in-show timewise, and there will be little room to fit webisodes in between both episodes. Webisodes placed after 4-11 in the timeline would probably spoil that ep bigtime.

Well the end of 410 is when:

SPOILER: Spoiler of GARGANTUAM proportions
they allegedly reach Earth and 411 immediately follows on from it with the reactions to that.

So the webisodes probably couldn't go there, whilst there may be a gap between 411 and 412 they can use.

There's a betting site that has [url="http://io9.com/392829/the-house-always-knows-who-the-final-cylon-is"]odds on who the final Cylon is[/url]. Apparently their odds on favorite is Dualla but Zarek is almost even money. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I never even considered Zarek but I think he's very likely now that I think about it.

It would simply be bad television for them to make it Dualla at this point. She's been entirely non-existent this entire season. I think the chick that died on the cylon baseship has had more lines this season. It'd feel like a copout more than anything.

the writers have put themselves into a horrific bind with the 12th (or as I suspect, 7th) model:

1. they have wasted their best opportunity by telegraphing Starbuck as a crazy mystic: a year ago my friend suggested her and it knocked me on my ass. now, it would be so non-revelatory that it's impossible.

2. by pushing second-stringers as three of the four revealed models (mebbe the chief is a 1.5 stringer) they likewise were so underwhelming that they need something with teeth to be the final model, but at this point there are so few characters at that level, having either Adama or Roslin be a cylon would be completely unbalancing.

3. the writers had an absolutely golden opportunity to blow us away with Tigh as the final model, but have so mishandled the importance of his transformation that I don't see how they can recover.

4. as EHK said, some previously important secondary characters have been so sidelined this season that the previously solid choices of Dee or Gaeta would now seem as dumb as picking Starbuck or Adama.

ultimately there can be only one rational, nay, [i]absolutely necessary[/i] choice: Racetrack. :leer:

although for what it's worth my money is seriously on Cottle. He's been a consistent presence since the first season, he's established himself as a voice of authority, and his unique persona could really work smoothly into the plot--I was only half-joking when I suggested that he already knows what he is. for those who doubt, during a rewatch of S. 3 I was stunned by the coolness with which he talked to D'Anna on New Caprica--he didn't hate her or fear her, he just chatted with her like she were any of the other youngsters he's used to verbally PWNing. AFAIR this was an otherwise unprecedented mode of interaction between human and cylon until very recently.

Archived