Yet another frakkin' BSG thread

Wouter

[quote]
SPOILER: BSG
Six is pregnant by Tigh?
[/quote]

I thought that was an interesting turn myself. I really wanted them to go back to Six to see her reaction to this news, but it seems they didn't.

[quote]
Lee is now President?
[/quote]

As soon as I read that they introduced the "interim emergency President" idea, it was obvious that it was going to be Lee. Was Romo Lampkin right, that Lee's actually an ambitious little cuss but prefers to play the "humble me, I'm just taking this job because you guys really want me to" angle, at least on a subconscious level?

[quote]
Romo's been carrying his dead cat around with him for weeks? ack.gif (so whose cat was in his quarters for the rest of the ep?)Tigh is now in command of the fleet? Because Adama wants to hang around at the rendezvous point in a Raptor by himself for Roslin to turn up? Why? Where the fuck else does Galactica and the fleet have to go? Aren't they just waiting for Roslin and the rebel basestar to get back to tell them the way to Earth? How does this make any sense?
[/quote]
I agree with others on the cat. It shows Romo's trauma fairly nicely. The idea that he might be the final Cylon seems ... very, very bad. Though perhaps no worse than it being Dualla, who has barely had more than a walk-on role this season. I guess there's also speculation that it's Cottle, from Natalie reaching up towards him as she died. I've suggested it before, but ... I don't know. It won't be amazingly revelatory, but in some sense, I guess it's not supposed to be amazingly revelatory in and of itself.

As to the fleet, with the reduced number of fighter craft, sticking around at a location the Cylons may now have knowledge of from having possibly captured people in the fight at the Hub doesn't seem that smart. Of course, Adama would have to have coordinates for a rendevous I suppose, but I guess they're supposing that he'll be able to jump out before he gets captured anyways.

BSGOMGWTF?!!!!!!

Man, that was batshit insane. I've long been one of the defenders of BSG, because the issues that I've read others here have have always seemed like nitpicks, and I've found it easy to enjoy the show.
Last week's episode was my favourite of the season so far, and I was really looking forward to the whole thing coming together now, but then it just took 2 scenes to blow it all wide apart for me.

SPOILER: bsg season 4
First, Lampkin's you-are-the-best-choice-for-president-but-i-am-going-to-shoot-you-because-my-cat-which-i-hate-is-dead scene. Ok, on further consideration, I can see more point to this scene, but him carrying around the dead cat??? imagining the cat to be alive??? I guess Jon's explanation works and Lampkin was playing it all to make sure that Lee wasn't trying to pull the strings, but the contrivance of having Adama refuse to recognise the elected president was a bit much for me.
And the fact is that when I watched it, it was just completely batshit insane.

The other was not Adama relinquishing command or the revelation that the Six is pregnant, but Adama giving command to Tigh. Sure, Tigh is next in line and I was expecting it to happen, but then to see it, a few scenes after Adama confronts Tigh with his belief (that Tight does [i]nothing[/i] to alleviate) that it was him who impreganated her and showed a lack of judgement beyond belief. Having Tigh tell Adama does he not remember what happened the last time Tigh was in charge followed up by Adama convincing Tigh that he's not the same man he was and is right for the job... just seemed absurd in context for me.

OTOH, the "Six is pregnant" bit was ok for me, because we know so little that anything could be going on here and because Tigh's absolute confusion and inability to deny the charge is real. He is severely confused and doesn't know what might be happening to himself.
Adama relinquishing command was alright, I thought, because as he said, he had lost his impartiality.

Still, why everyone was giving him such a hard time over searching for Roslin when there's also a shit load of Vipers out there that they'd be searching for too that are important to the fleet.
Also, where the hell is the fleet running off to? They've got no destination to go to. Would it be so risky for them to wait there and then jump at the first sign of Cylon attack?

So, ok. I'm much less annoyed than I was when I watched the episode and I'll definitely watching the rest of the show, as I'm certain that a major reason for this episode was to just somehow get characters into certain positions as a set up for the remainder to pay off, but my faith in the ability of the writers to actually make a satisfactory ending is very damaged. In fact, my faith in the writers to care about credibility or consistency is very much weakened.

Come on! It wasn't that bad. So, some of it didn't make a whole lot of sense, but this episode was just a bump in the road, not a dead end. Next episode will kick ass. Show a little optimism guys...

Besides, any scenes with Tigh and Adama always rocks :thumbsup:

SPOILER: BLAGH
How do cylons get pregnant anyway? :smileysex: They speculated before that it was all about love, but the 6's condition might make more sense if it was 'mortality', i.e. the lack of a resurrection ship that makes the susceptible. Hence, Callie get pregnant. Hence the 6.

Or maybe Dr. Cottle was just lying for reasons of his own.

[url="http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?showtopic=3151229"]Things I am not allowed to do aboard Galactica[/url]:

since there are over 1700, i'll just quote a few of the new ones:

1643: I am not allowed to tell people that Tyrol's new assignment is in the galley as Chief Toaster

1657: Not allowed to tell time by the number of times Cally passes by the window.
1658: Not allowed to yell "Jump!" in a crowded CIC.

1661. I am not allowed to bring a motion to the quorum that the delegate from Caprica be officially named "Captain Emo Whiny Pants"
*Even if Roslin approves.

1662:I am not allowed to install ceiling mirrors in my quarters and put a sign on the door reading,
<Ladies of Galactica, did you ever wonder, "Am I a Cylon?, could I be a Cylon, What is that frakking song in the walls?"
Enter and I will put you through my test "routine" to prove it once and for all!>

1666. Based on next week's preview, I am not allowed to ask Hera Agathon what number comes between 5 & 7.
*If Lt. Agathon pulls a gun on me, the only thing Col. Tigh would tell her is to make sure she doesn't miss.

1669. I am not allowed to have a pet.
* As they have living components, Raiders qualify as pets.
* So do heavy Raiders
* So do BaseStars.
* "But it followed me home!" is not a sufficent excuse.
* Nor is "But Captian Thrace has one!"

1681: I am not allowed to shorten Gaeta's peg leg while he sleeps.
1682: I am not allowed to lengthen Gaeta's peg leg while he sleeps.
1683: I am not allowed to hide Gaeta's peg leg while he sleeps.

1692: I am not allowed to tell the Admiral he will die if he goes to Za'hadum.

1702. Not allowed to add mouse ears to my Viper helmet under the guise of “Cylon Detectors” as a comment on the chain of command.
* Not allowed to add a German Imperial spike to the top of my Viper helmet.
* Not allowed to add Viking horns to my Viper helmet.
* Not allowed to add handlebars to the top of my Viper helmet in order to "make it easier for Adm. Adama to ride my ass."
* Nor to make it easier for President Roslin to ride my ass.

1711: "For the Horde" is not the proper way to acknowledge a direct order.

1712. Not allowed to start singing "Sharon's got a gun." when Lt. Agathon walks into CIC.

1715. I am not allowed to suggest that Gaeta's next song be "Yo Ho, a Pirate's Life for me."
*Nor am I allowed to invite Tigh to sing with us.
*Nor am I allowed to give either one of them a parrot for their shoulder.

1717: I am not allowed to refer to copies of Baltar's sermons as my "pirated" copies.

1719: I am not to ask Gaeta to participate in a three legged race with me

1720: I am not allowed to rub the president's bald head for luck
* if I did all my luck would be airlockingly bad

1722. I am not allowed to teach Centurians to dance the Macarena.

Peadar,

Well, Athena had a kid too. And in her case, I do not believe she was out of range of a Resurrection ship -- didn't she end up pregnant on Caprica?

That wasn't near as bad as you guys made it out to be.

SPOILER: Battlestar
The only odd thing was the Lambkin gun Scene. Which kinda made sense. There WAS something up with that cat. I was noticing something weird all episode. .... Although originally I thought Lambkin was killing people and feeding them to the cat, and that the bag had people parts in it. :lol:

"Six is Pregnant" was "WTF?!?!?!?!?" but we'll see where they go with it.

Lee becoming president was blatantly obvious. Although, the way it was handled surprised me a bit. Adama refusing to recognize Zarek made perfect sense to me though.

As did his obsession. Like a flashback to the "Search for Starbuck" from S1.

And the Fleet is simply jumping because the longer they stay in one spot, the larger the chance of the Cylons finding them gets.

All in all, not the best, but not that bad. Good setup episode. Mid-Season cliffhanger should be cool.

Despite all the completely illogical shit that happened I enjoyed this episode. It felt like the show went somewhere.

[quote]Adama giving command to Tigh. Sure, Tigh is next in line and I was expecting it to happen, but then to see it, a few scenes after Adama confronts Tigh with his belief (that Tight does nothing to alleviate) that it was him who impreganated her and showed a lack of judgement beyond belief. Having Tigh tell Adama does he not remember what happened the last time Tigh was in charge followed up by Adama convincing Tigh that he's not the same man he was and is right for the job... just seemed absurd in context for me.[/quote]

Every single character on the show has had ridiculous lapses in judgement at one point or another... I honestly can't think of anyone who he could give command to without this argument coming up.

[quote name='Ran Mutu' post='1375917' date='May 29 2008, 23.47']Peadar,

Well, Athena had a kid too. And in her case, I do not believe she was out of range of a Resurrection ship -- didn't she end up pregnant on Caprica?
[/quote]

SPOILER: RAN
Yeah, but she had put herself beyond the pale by refusing to co-operate. She might have been boxed or something...

But yes, I'm reaching here. I'm trying desperately to give the script writers the benefit of the doubt as they seem to be be contradicting themselves more and more all the time.

Frankly, I'm beginning to suspect that if my girlfriend wasn't still enjoying the series, I'd have stopped watching it by now.

SPOILER: BSG Finale
I would read this as being a tumultuous, apocalyptic time, and that strange things are happening. So, Cylons are having children -- it's a sign of the End Times, or whatever. I don't know as it really needs much explanation, since clearly the show isn't really science fiction -- it's mysticism in SFnal clothing.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1376687' date='May 30 2008, 14.41']Or, you know, we can just wait and find out.[/quote]

I am a man of the internet age and your so-called 'wait' does not compute. The only useful concepts are 'NOW!' or possibly, 'AT ONCE, BEFORE I KILL YOU ALL! AH HA HA HA!'

[b]Ran[/b]: I'm sure you're right, but I can't help wanting it to make sense. ;)

[quote name='Crazydog7' post='1377861' date='May 30 2008, 20.44']Am I the only one who just doesn't give a frak anymore?[/quote]

No. But the rest of them left the thread.

Or at least, they said they did.

I'm going to keep it in spoiler tags for now, until it airs on the west coast.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1373094' date='May 28 2008, 09.34']
SPOILER: BSG 408
Six is pregnant by Tigh? :stunned:
Lee is now President? :unsure:
Romo's been carrying his dead cat around with him for weeks? :ack: (so whose cat was in his quarters for the rest of the ep?)
Tigh is now in command of the fleet? Because Adama wants to hang around at the rendezvous point in a Raptor by himself for Roslin to turn up? Why? Where the fuck else does [i]Galactica[/i] and the fleet have to go? Aren't they just waiting for Roslin and the rebel basestar to get back to tell them the way to Earth? How does this make any sense? :o
[/quote]

SPOILER: BSG 408

- I kind of like the idea of Lee as President. I can't imagine Adama ever accepting Zarek as President. Ever. That would be completely illogical.
- I think it was quite clear that Romo was just imagining the cat. Lee kept making all kinds of comments like "when are you going to feed your cat". The cat was the last link to his old life (it was his wife's cat) and after it died, he went loopy. He lost his wife and two daughters. All he had left was that cat, and going to get that cat was the reason he survived the Holocaust. Clearly, it is a pretty important cat to him!
- Who else should be in command of the fleet? Starbuck!?
- Well, the rest of the fleet thinks Roslin is dead (remember the wreckage field they discovered?), and Adama thinks he lost his objectivity. Obviously, everyone else seems to agree. It seems to make sense. If they succeeded in destroying the Hub, then why wouldn't they return to the Fleet?
- They are jumping because their risk of being discovered by the Cylons is high.
- I'm not too happy about Adama leaving the Fleet, but I can see why he thinks he needs to. Seriously. This man has no objectivity. It is a wonder he never realized this earlier (well he kind of did in [i]Unfinished Business.[/i] I guess it was one of those personal revelations you never really follow through on)

Things I liked:
- Adama / Athena Scene: Olmos was really on his game today. I thought this scene was great and made a lot of sense, considering their relationship (ie. the trust he put in her).
- Adama / Tigh Scene: This was wicked. I loved the brawl and the quick realization that they were both being idiots. Very realistic :lol:
- Romo Lampkin: I thought the cat perfectly illustrated his loss of sanity.
- The Fleet really seems to be falling apart. Disorder, chaos and general hopelessness seem rampant. I approve.

I honestly believe some here are unfairly bashing the show. Worst episode of television in the last few years? Errr ... I think that is a bit of an exaggeration.

I have several new questions, but this is the most important: [i]what are the writers smoking?[/i] :huh:

Otherwise, all I can say is it's bad when I need to come in here and read the thread just to figure out wtf just happened. :bs:

(And I'd been really enjoying the show again. Hope this one was a fluke.)

Archived