NFL offseason II

DanteGabriel

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1466816' date='Aug 3 2008, 08.09']I was very happy to see one of my favorite players make it to the HOF yesterday, I have liked Darrell Green since he came out.[/quote]

I think Deion Sanders was a better pure athlete (by a hair), but not half the football player. One of the truly great ones.

Wow, I was looking at the 1983 draft class on [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_NFL_Draft#Round_one"]Wiki[/url] what a great class besides Green who was the last pick of the first round (3 corners were taken before him) five other HOF (John Elway, Eric Dickerson, Bruce Matthews, Jim Kelly and Dan Marino) were drafted during the first round. That has to be one of the top drat classes of all time.

So Favre gets reinstated and now, apparently, it's an [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3517219"]open quarterback competition.[/url] How's that savvy Packer decision-making looking now, Rock? They could've done this a month ago, but hey, why miss out on all the free humiliating publicity?

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1467129' date='Aug 3 2008, 20.16']So Favre gets reinstated and now, apparently, it's an [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3517219"]open quarterback competition.[/url] How's that savvy Packer decision-making looking now, Rock? They could've done this a month ago, but hey, why miss out on all the free humiliating publicity?

.[/quote]

Did you see the Packers hired Ari Fleischer? I thought that was hilarious.

So, how do we feel about the rules changes this season? I like the elimination of the force out. I think it's only fair to allow one defensive player a radio in his helmet. I'm not so sure about the elimination of the incidental face mask rule, however. Could this cause players to be more careless with their hands? I like the move towards fewer penalties/judgement calls in general.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1467153' date='Aug 3 2008, 19.50']Did you see the Packers hired Ari Fleischer? I thought that was hilarious.[/quote]

Me too. It's like they figured out they probably need better spin control. And now the Packers are covered if they ever invade a sovereign nation.

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1467156' date='Aug 3 2008, 19.53']So, how do we feel about the rules changes this season? I like the elimination of the force out. I think it's only fair to allow one defensive player a radio in his helmet. I'm not so sure about the elimination of the incidental face mask rule, however. Could this cause players to be more careless with their hands? I like the move towards fewer penalties/judgement calls in general.[/quote]

I like the change in the incidental facemask rule. So often it's completely unintentional. Hate all those flags on ticky tack calls that follow the letter but not the spirit of the rule.

I have a feeling the removal of the forceout rule is gonna end up pissing me off at one point this season where one of our little wideouts makes a spectacular catch only to get blasted out of bounds. It's almost guaranteed I think.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1467181' date='Aug 3 2008, 18.20']I like the change in the incidental facemask rule. So often it's completely unintentional. Hate all those flags on ticky tack calls that follow the letter but not the spirit of the rule.[/quote]
I agree. I guess I'm just projecting my fear of being poked in the eye.

[quote]I have a feeling the removal of the forceout rule is gonna end up pissing me off at one point this season where one of our little wideouts makes a spectacular catch only to get blasted out of bounds. It's almost guaranteed I think.[/quote]
I know. I'm so looking forward to this. The blasting that is. Not your frustration in particular.*

Edit:* This does not include week 17 when it [i]will[/i] be your frustration in particular. MUAHAHAHA!

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1467156' date='Aug 3 2008, 20.53']So, how do we feel about the rules changes this season? I like the elimination of the force out. I think it's only fair to allow one defensive player a radio in his helmet. I'm not so sure about the elimination of the incidental face mask rule, however. Could this cause players to be more careless with their hands? I like the move towards fewer penalties/judgement calls in general.[/quote]

Not hugely fond of the forceout change, but BB has been working with the officials to get the team well-prepped for the change and to know exactly how it works, so hopefully they can work with it. I think the incidental face mask thing is good to be gone, although I hope it does lead to letting slide some non-incidental face masking. I think the defensive player with the radio makes sense, but I don't know if it'll have too much effect. I know the Pats are struggling with how to work this, as their defensive line doesn't lend itself to having the one go-to guy with the radio.

[quote name=''Belichick'']"I think from the coaches that I've talked to in the league, the defensive coaches and the head coaches, everybody feels like you better be prepared to signal."[/quote]

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1467129' date='Aug 3 2008, 20.16']So Favre gets reinstated and now, apparently, it's an [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3517219"]open quarterback competition.[/url] How's that savvy Packer decision-making looking now, Rock? They could've done this a month ago, but hey, why miss out on all the free humiliating publicity?

.[/quote]

That was the news when I went to bed last night... then this morning when I woke up, Mike and Mike were talking about Favre being traded to the Vikings. I'm so confused.

While the Packers are taking a beating in the public eye for this... I personally can't look at Favre without being a little disgusted with him.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1467485' date='Aug 4 2008, 07.40']That was the news when I went to bed last night... then this morning when I woke up, Mike and Mike were talking about Favre being traded to the Vikings. I'm so confused.

While the Packers are taking a beating in the public eye for this... I personally can't look at Favre without being a little disgusted with him.[/quote]

To be perfectly honest, it's getting entertaining now.

First they offer Favre a grand sum of 20 mil to not play. He then turns it down, saying he doesn't trust them and gets reinstated. Then the Packers say that they're opening competition for the starting QB job. Following that, they hire Ari Fleischer to handle spin control. Now they're saying that they called the Vikings and are talking about trading Favre there...to the team they filed tampering charges against and refused to allow Favre to play there which started this whole mess.

I love it. Could it get any worse? I hope so.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1467514' date='Aug 4 2008, 07.33']To be perfectly honest, it's getting entertaining now.

First they offer Favre a grand sum of 20 mil to not play. He then turns it down, saying he doesn't trust them and gets reinstated. Then the Packers say that they're opening competition for the starting QB job. Following that, they hire Ari Fleischer to handle spin control. Now they're saying that they called the Vikings and are talking about trading Favre there...to the team they filed tampering charges against and refused to allow Favre to play there which started this whole mess.

I love it. Could it get any worse? I hope so.[/quote]

It's like if you don't like the Packers' stance wait 5 minutes. Wish someone would describe what's going on in their front office. Can't decide if Favre has turned them into Two Face, choosing their path through a flip of the coin, or Gollum.

[i]Smeagol loves the Favres[/i]
[i]No! The tricksy Favreses want the preciousssssssss.[/i]
[i]But Master saved Smeagol![/i]
[i]Master betrayed us. Wicked. Tricksy, False. We ought to wring his filthy little neck. Kill him! And then Rodgers will be the master.[/i]
[i]Yes. No! It's too risky. Too risky....[/i]

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1467567' date='Aug 4 2008, 09.33'][i]Smeagol loves the Favres[/i]
[i]Master betrayed us. Wicked. Tricksy, False. We ought to wring his filthy little neck. Kill him! And then Rodgers will be the master.[/i]
[i]Yes. No! It's too risky. Too risky....[/i][/quote]

:rofl:

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1467567' date='Aug 4 2008, 09.33']It's like if you don't like the Packers' stance wait 5 minutes. Wish someone would describe what's going on in their front office. Can't decide if Favre has turned them into Two Face, choosing their path through a flip of the coin, or Gollum.

[i]Smeagol loves the Favres[/i]
[i]Yes. No! It's too risky. Too risky....[/i][/quote]

:rofl:

That's absolutely hilarious.

Before I talk about the Most Important Human Being to Ever Grace Pro-Football (Brett Favre), I wanted to send a word out to maybe the greatest New England Patriot of the 1980s, Andre Tippett for his induction in the Pro-Football Hall of Fame. It was obviously Redskins Week-end in Canton. Fitting actually as Tippett's entire career was overshadowed by the fact that he played on such a universally poor team for so long (they were legit in 1986 and 1987) and other teams took the limelight. For all the wrong reasons, Tippett was marginalzied because he had the unfortunate problem of playing for the New England Patriots before they were remotely good. He was a leader, a passionate player, and stuck here. He played his whole career with the Pats.

As far as Favre, the Packers' imporrible situation got worse when the commissioner just basically told them they had no chocie; they HAD to take Favre back. I mean, its not like the packers suddenly were convinced they were "wrong" but instead the clock ran out. The Packers' issues have not gone away; Brett is still old, still gonna be gone ina year or two. And now, to add to this, Rogers is as good as gone come 2009. So they will now "compete" for the job (total joke: its gonna be Favre because he will make it IMPOSSIBLE if he were the #2,a nd because he's probably, statistically, better than Rogers). And in a year or two when the Packers are trying to replace Brett AGAIN (only this time, he means it... probably) I guess the Pack can draft somebody... or trade for Michael Vick. I mean, why not?

An Impossible situation. I think the Pack did the best they could with their fickle little "fight this one in the media" QB. He got his way. He'll start opening day. And the damage for the next few years is done, just nobody knows its extent yet.

I don't care what the haters say!

Favre totally out-played the packer's management and thompson. He holds the leverage. He has returned in glory like a deposed yet beloved king in exile.
[b]
BRETT FAVRE![/b]

his tears cure cancer!

[quote name='Jacen' post='1468040' date='Aug 4 2008, 16.11']I don't care what the haters say!

Favre totally out-played the packer's management and thompson. He holds the leverage. He has returned in glory like a deposed yet beloved king in exile.
[b]
BRETT FAVRE![/b]

his tears cure cancer![/quote]

So misguided. It's only my deep love for my birthland that keeps me from completely detesting everyone involved in this.

I continue to be ASTOUNDED that someone born in Wisconsin has rejected allegiance to God's team, and has instead chosen to align themselves with the Patriots, SOLELY because you think Tom Brady is a hot piece of ass.

Shameful Nora, shameful.

[quote name='Jacen' post='1468048' date='Aug 4 2008, 16.17']I continue to be ASTOUNDED that someone born in Wisconsin has rejected allegiance to God's team, and has instead chosen to align themselves with the Patriots, SOLELY because you think Tom Brady is a hot piece of ass.

Shameful Nora, shameful.[/quote]

That is so SO not true! I have been a Patriots fan since I was twelve, TYVM, and it is only a very nice bonus that they have a droolworthy and amazing QB at the moment!

But I will root for the Packers if they're playing someone besides the Pats, and especially if they're playing the :tantrum: Vikings.

I mean, really, how could I like a team with such godawful colors?

Archived