NFL offseason II

DanteGabriel

The Packers haven't failed me. New word is that Favre doesn't want to break up team chemistry so he might not come back and that the Packers are claiming that there is no open competition for the starting QB and that Rodgers is the starter.

Considering that each day contradicts the one before, I wonder how much of this news is fabrication/speculation by the media.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1468765' date='Aug 5 2008, 08.43']The Packers haven't failed me. New word is that Favre doesn't want to break up team chemistry so he might not come back and that the Packers are claiming that there is no open competition for the starting QB and that Rodgers is the starter.

Considering that each day contradicts the one before, I wonder how much of this news is fabrication/speculation by the media.[/quote]

Where are you seeing this? Nothing on CNNSI or ESPN yet.

[quote name='Slurktan' post='1468787' date='Aug 5 2008, 09.08']Where are you seeing this? Nothing on CNNSI or ESPN yet.[/quote]

[url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/05/report-favres-actual-return-to-packers-unlikely/"]Article[/url]

From the artilce:

(and the artilce is quoting liberally from this Fox artilce: [url="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8414518/Solution-remains-elusive-for-Favre,-Packers"]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8414518...-Favre,-Packers[/url] )

[quote]The two sides will meet again on Tuesday morning. The key detail that has emerged from Monday night’s meeting is that Favre doesn’t want his presence to destroy team chemistry[/quote]

Why, what ever gave you the idea that you were disrupting things, Brett?

[quote]In fact, Favre was adamant that he wanted to do what was in the best interest of the locker room and admitted this distraction was not what his teammates needed.[/quote]

No shit, sherlock.

[quote]Another agreement from the meeting was that, despite reports to the contrary, there would not be an open quarterback competition as even Favre felt this would not be in the best interests of the locker room. Thus, Aaron Rodgers is the team's starting quarterback.[/quote]

This one boggles my mind. I find it ludicrious. Holy hell, what happens in Week 1 when Rogers throws his FIRST INT (and he will- Qbs throw interceptions; its gonna happen)? The FIRST reaction shot the camera will throw to will be Favre on the side lines, that smug look on his face (hat backwards, arms folded over his chest, hugging the clipboard to his chest), eyes looking up at the scoreboard, brow creased, that look of "I-told-you-so" in his eyes (consomate teammate that Favre). Then the STORM of people, cheeseheads who carry pictures of Brett Favre in their wallets start screaming for Favre to replace Rogers?

(Easy Champ, why don't you try not talking for a while...fine).

[quote]Favre, however, stood to his long-standing desire to stay within the division. But the Packers were still hoping to find another option.[/quote]

Well thank goodness he's being reasonable.

Actually, the artilce goes onto say that Favre is working with the Pack now that they have bent-over backwards to meet his demands... and the same demands Brett himself seems to be backing away from. Its unclear if Favre will listen to the Jets or the Bucs. However, things are better now, not worse.

Except for sports fans who are subjected to this.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1468765' date='Aug 5 2008, 08.43']The Packers haven't failed me. New word is that Favre doesn't want to break up team chemistry so he might not come back and that the Packers are claiming that there is no open competition for the starting QB and that Rodgers is the starter.

Considering that each day contradicts the one before, I wonder how much of this news is fabrication/speculation by the media.[/quote]

I'm no scientician, but by my math, that really only leaves trade as an option? Unless Favre watches the Lifetime movie the week gets all weepy and decides to rescind his reinstatement, which is possible. But then he just pissed off the nation [i]and [/i]got nothing out of it.

I guess it comes down to, if the Vikings offer a second rounder, who blinks? It's clear the Packers are all about the future at this point; building a contender for years to come...so why not jump at that?

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1468838' date='Aug 5 2008, 10.09']I'm no scientician, but by my math, that really only leaves trade as an option? Unless Favre watches the Lifetime movie the week gets all weepy and decides to rescind his reinstatement, which is possible. But then he just pissed off the nation [i]and [/i]got nothing out of it.

I guess it comes down to, if the Vikings offer a second rounder, who blinks? It's clear the Packers are all about the future at this point; building a contender for years to come...so why not jump at that?[/quote]

But the Vikings play the Packers week 1 in GB on Monday night. I don't see GB trading Brett before the final week before the game. So we have 3 more weeks of this to put up with.

Current stuff on ESPN says that Favre won't be practicing but thats due 1)Him not wanting to take Rodgers's job, and 2) He thinks the Packers brass are full of shit citing the "Vikings tampering charges" and saying, "They tried to buy me off to stay retired."

I'm not going to lie, I'm actually enjoying this sordid affair more and more. You can see both Favre's hypocracy and the Packers's idiocy coming to full force. However one thing that should be noted is the media's affect on the story. They report everything regardless how inconsequential and as such both sides react to it PR wise. Favre is just doing a much, much, much better job of handling the PR than the Packers. Although they have hired the white house spin doctor so that might be getting better.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3520064"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...tory?id=3520064[/url]

Hey- here's ashocker, Brett has decided to shift gears and is now asking to be released. Pretty please, wth sugar on top and a cherry! See, he didn't REALLY want to be there.

[quote]"We all know the reason I'm here is because the commissioner [Roger Goodell] reinstated me so we have a lot of things to figure out. It's simple and complicated, both at the same time."[/quote]

No, Brett. You are not there because the Commissioner just seripticiously decided to reinstate you. You DEMANDED to be reinstated. You are ACTIVELY disrupting your team. And now that you realize that you cannot just win this war in the media, you are admitting that what you REALLY want is to be released.

I swear, at least we got an outfielder for Manny.

[quote]Favre said the team once again rejected his request to talk to teams about a trade within the NFC North, preferably to the Minnesota Vikings or possibly the Chicago Bears.[/quote]

Those selfish, selfish bastards.

[quote]"... Aaron should be the starter right now because he's been out here all this time. This is more than about an open competition and I can do that, absolutely, but this is going to be mass confusion and that's not good for this team."[/quote]

This is the one shred in here that makes me believe wants to do the right thing; that he completely appreciates that the team dynamic is not helepd with him around; that he packers have a course to take; that the team needs a leader, not confusion and Brett will step away from that. Then again, he could just be realizing now (as a man we are no all fully aware is fickle) that he's not welcome and is just now realizing this. And I notice how MANY are upset at the packers for not "doing the right thing from the start." Well, I am still more angered at Brett for taking so fucking long just to understand this ABOUT HIMSELF!

[quote]The problem is that there's been a lot of damage done and I can't forget it. Stuff has been said, stories planted, that just aren't true. Can I get over all that? I doubt it."[/quote]

You mean like when you sent your mother and brother to do radio shows to nbolsetr support for your cause? I LOVE how Brett is saying the bad blood only flows from the Packers. This man is amazing. He really IS just having fun ot there.

I'm so excited.

I'm pretty much going to miss the entire season because I will be in London but I just bought tickets to the one game of the year that I go to every year and that's the Bengals @ Ravens. This year, it happens to be opening night and that's the one game that I will be in the US for.

This pretty much just made my week.

This post is 100% Favre Free.

According to Belichick's daily press conference, he says that the Pats will NOT use the new defensive radio calling. At least not for the first preseason game. He goes on to say that he makes no guarantees that they will ever use it. In a small way, it seems that he is sticking it to Goodell.

"We don't need no stink'n headsets!"

[quote name='Slurktan' post='1469111' date='Aug 5 2008, 10.17']Current stuff on ESPN says that Favre won't be practicing but thats due 1)Him not wanting to take Rodgers's job, and 2) He thinks the Packers brass are full of shit citing the "Vikings tampering charges" and saying, "They tried to buy me off to stay retired."

I'm not going to lie, I'm actually enjoying this sordid affair more and more. You can see both Favre's hypocracy and the Packers's idiocy coming to full force. However one thing that should be noted is the media's affect on the story. They report everything regardless how inconsequential[/quote]

It's not just the media. Have you been reading this thread?

you guys are just as bad as ESPN with this constant Favre talk....

:lol:

[quote name='Mexal' post='1469143' date='Aug 5 2008, 12.36']I'm so excited.

I'm pretty much going to miss the entire season because I will be in London but I just bought tickets to the one game of the year that I go to every year and that's the Bengals @ Ravens. This year, it happens to be opening night and that's the one game that I will be in the US for.

This pretty much just made my week.[/quote]
My tickets for the Bears@Falcons should be coming in today, so I know how you feel. It'll actually be my first opportunity to see them play in person, and I can't wait for October 12th. I'm looking forward to a thorough asskicking.

[quote name='Quijote Light' post='1469232' date='Aug 5 2008, 14.26']My tickets for the Bears@Falcons should be coming in today, so I know how you feel. It'll actually be my first opportunity to see them play in person, and I can't wait for October 12th. I'm looking forward to a thorough asskicking.[/quote]

It's weird for the Bears to schedule homecoming weekend on the road like that. Last year, we scheduled ours early in the season against the Lions. We'd been trying to get McNeese State for some time, but when the Lions said they had a free date in early October, well we had to jump at that. Everyone had a great time. The game went as expected, and the dance afterwards was amazing.

[quote name='Swordfish' post='1469205' date='Aug 5 2008, 14.09']It's not just the media. Have you been reading this thread?

you guys are just as bad as ESPN with this constant Favre talk....

:lol:[/quote]

Well yes but my clumsy point being that Favre and the Packers are also reading the media as we are. They are effecting things in the PR war by reporting everything. Favre might have been thinking of taking the $20 million offer but once the media got ahold of that idea, he has to come out and blast the Packers for making the offer to save face. Its interesting, at least to me.

I'm in hell, this is agonizing. So Favre is being a totally arrogant prima donna dickhead, so what? He's still a better QB than Rodgers. The time for a Super Bowl run is now, not later. END OF STORY.

And apparently, now the pack won't even let him[i] compete[/i] for the job as they said they would. They are adamant in sticking with Rodgers. If Rodgers sucks ass this season, some fan is going to put a hit out on Thompson.

Theres no way favre is willing to come back as anything but starting qb. The waffling continues. Can Packer management be this stupid? Will they actually trade him within the division?!

Circus Maximus continues

:bang:

Archived