Anticipation 2009 (Montreal Worldcon)

Kat

Well, I've got my hotel reservation now to go along with my membership. I'll be staying at the Springhill Suites which is, as far as I can tell, right around the corner from the convention center. It's looking like I might have space for another person, so PM if anybody needs a place.

Lany, it's looking like I am going to train it back on Tuesday. I didn't realize that the Hugo's aren't until Sunday night and the closing ceremonies are on Monday. Who knew!

I just checked the Anticipation 2009 website and I don't see a complete schedule for the con. When should a complete schedule of events be available?

If I remember correctly Scot it wasnt available until a couple of weeks before the con last year. And there were a lot of room changes for talks and such during the con, so keep an eye out.

Well, I've got my hotel reservation now to go along with my membership. I'll be staying at the Springhill Suites which is, as far as I can tell, right around the corner from the convention center. It's looking like I might have space for another person, so PM if anybody needs a place.

Lany, it's looking like I am going to train it back on Tuesday. I didn't realize that the Hugo's aren't until Sunday night and the closing ceremonies are on Monday. Who knew!

Yep, the Springhill Suites are very close to the Palais des Congrès, but you are in Old Montreal. Did you know that the hotel was voted one of the top 10 hidden gems hotels in Canada a few years back?

Patrick

Yep, the Springhill Suites are very close to the Palais des Congrès, but you are in Old Montreal. Did you know that the hotel was voted one of the top 10 hidden gems hotels in Canada a few years back?

Patrick

Oh hell yeah! That's awesome - I had no idea. Now I am even more excited.

Just a quick reminder to my fellow attendees: online ballots for the Hugos need to be in by Friday! :)

Also, this might be an apt time to plug volunteering. As Parris reminds us every year, Cons don't run without a battalion of volunteers doing the small stuff as well as the big, and the BwB does have a good record of providing help at WorldCons. A couple of hours each makes a big difference, and it can be very interesting seeing behind the scenes.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first Con so I am a bit clueless here.

As its only 4 weeks left is there anything I should be doing now (and I don't mean packing – hotels and transport have all been arranged)

Is there anything I have (or someone would like me) to bring to the Con?

Is there anything I should be doing when I get there? – I've seen Mormont's post about Volunteering – Is that a couple of hours each day or in total the suggested amount?

Also is there a preferred time? I know I am available from Wednesday 5th – 10th

Is there anything I can do to help the bwb party?

I just spoke with the concierge for the Delta (party-hotel) where I will be staying. I was informed that the shuttle service from the airport is, his words, "Crap." He recommended taking a taxi.

I wanted to find out if anyone else would like to split a taxi? The Taxi will be about $40.00 CAN and take 20 min. to get to the hotel.

I'm arriving at 10:30 AM on August 6 at Trudeau. If you are interested I will PM you my cel number so we can get in touch. I'll be carrying on all my luggage so I should be ready to go as soon as I get off the plane.

Peb: volunteering is whatever time you can spare. A couple of hours total is OK. :) Contact the volunteer people via the linked form and let them know what dates you can do. They usually need people for setup, the day or two prior to the con, or for things during the con itself.

Xray,

The latter is usually how it goes.

I just want y'all to know that I've gotten your PMs regarding BwB help as well. We will let you know what you might need to bring to help as the date approaches. You might hear from Mr. X instead of me. :)

Thanks. Right now I'm trying to figure what is the easiest and least expensive way to get from the airport to the hotel.

Okay, I just got off the phone with VIA Rail. The commuter train runs from downtown Montreal to the airport, not back (I have no idea why). Therefore, I appear to be back to option 1, take a taxi. So, again if anyone would like to share a cab ride, please let me know here or via PM. I'm arriving August 6 at 10:30 AM.

Xray,

Thanks. Right now I'm trying to figure what is the easiest and least expensive way to get from the airport to the hotel.

Okay, I just got off the phone with VIA Rail. The commuter train runs from downtown Montreal to the airport, not back (I have no idea why). Therefore, I appear to be back to option 1, take a taxi. So, again if anyone would like to share a cab ride, please let me know here or via PM. I'm arriving August 6 at 10:30 AM.

Seems to be a bus every half hour:

Airport bus

(This is different from the free hotel shuttle bus)

Sophelia,

Seems to be a bus every half hour:

Airport bus

(This is different from the free hotel shuttle bus)

That's to the commuter rail station that, according to VIA doesn't run into Montreal, just out from it.

After checking the web site I could be wrong. That may be the shuttle the Conceiarage hated so much.

Nope, l'Aérobus is the way to go. It will take you to thhe bus termina adjacent to the Berri-Uqam metro station. From there, you're about 3 to 4 stops from wherever your hotel is located. Don't take the taxi, as it will cost you a lot more. . .

Patrick

L'Aérobus is probably the best value. If you are not keen on taking the subway from the central bus station (Berri-Uqam), keep in mind that a taxi ride set you back up to 20$ because of the traffic. You don't want to take a cab in downtown Montreal during a weekday. A ticket to hop on the metro is 2.75$ and you can only pay cash. So change some dough beforehand. . .

It is possible to get from the PET airport to the downtown area for much cheaper, but it's a bit of trouble:

Option 1: Take Bus 204 Est(at the airport's main entrance), going to the Dorval train station. It gets tricky because the commuter trains don't run all day, only during rush hour. So depending on when you are coming into town, the commuter trains might not work. If it's running, the train (board the one going to Montreal and not the one going the other way) will take you to the Lucien l'Allier metro station, smack down in the middle of downtown Montreal. Most hotels you guys likely booked are within walking distance, or a short but possibly expensive cab ride due to heavy traffic. The bus would set you back 2.75$, and the train 4.75$.

Option 2: If the commuter trains are not running, take Bus 204 Est to the Dorval train station, and ask for a transfer from the driver. From the train station, take Bus 211 Est or 221 Est all the way to the Lionel Groulx metro station. Keep your transfer ticket because you'll use it for the subway. From the Lionel-Groulx metro station, you can hop on the Green or Orange subway lines. Your hotels are along one or the other or both. Total cost: 2.75$

Both of these options can only be considered if you travel light, though. If you have a big suitcase, forget about it.

Option 3: A taxi ride comes with a set price of about 40$. They take you to your hotel, and there's no possibility to take the long way round to run up the meter.

All in all, for peace of mind and good value, the Aérobus would be the way to go, unless you can split a cab two- or three-way. Change some cash at your local bank before entering the country to have enough to pay for these things (though I think you can pay via credit card for the Aérobus) and then withdraw money from countless ATMs once you're in town.

Have fun! ;)

Patrick

Archived