Anticipation 2009 (Montreal Worldcon)

Kat

[quote name='fitheach' post='1700258' date='Feb 26 2009, 02.54']Wow, $240.00... This is for the WorldCon tickets? Or just membership and tickets are seperate?
Oy.
They do know there's a recession going on don't they...[/quote]

Think of it this way - that's $60 per day for a full day (and evening) of entertainment. Panels, signings, dealer's room, parties, coffee with your favourite authors, you name it. Not too shabby, I think.

(It was also cheaper if you bought in advance, but that's cold comfort now, I know. :P)

Hey folks,

Quick reminder to get in your nominations for the Hugo awards! Discussion and suggestions can be found [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=34609"]here[/url]. Snail mail most be postmarked no later than the 28th to be considered.

The more nominations, the better the results are going to be. :)

[quote name='pat5150' post='1702123' date='Feb 27 2009, 06.54']Air Canada is having a sale, so those of you coming from abroad might want to check out if the prices are good for you. :)

Patrick[/quote]

Hmmm...these new Air Canada flights are vastly more affordable than before. Roundtrip flight for $400 rather than $1100 is much better, and now I'm tempted to bypass the train option.

Thanks for the news, Pat. :)

[quote name='pat5150' post='1702123' date='Feb 27 2009, 13.54']Air Canada is having a sale, so those of you coming from abroad might want to check out if the prices are good for you. :)

Patrick[/quote]

Thanks for the alert.

I'm not sure what the prices were before but the cheapest flights Air Canada do from London** to Montreal and back are £635 (compare with £632 which was the cheapest price on Expedia). For me it's still cheaper to get a return to New York (around £501 with British Airways*), and there are a lot more flight options. Air Canada would force me to do an overnight flight on the way back, which I swore never again.

* cheapest flight is £455 with Kuwait airways :stunned: Anyone flown with them before?

I'll investigate whether it would be better to fly from Paris (France has a lot more flight links with Canada), but likelihood is that I'll be in the New York contingent.

** ETA: has anyone checked other UK locations?

This [url="http://www.admtl.com/passager/services_aeriens/DestinationsServedInternational.aspx"]site[/url] would be handy if it updated the listing of direct flights to Montreal with the summer schedule. I know there is a weekly flight from Dublin but such a schedule isn't very useful, although it probably will be cheap enough.

By the way, some other con-goers are discussing the NYC-to-Montreal train in [url="http://community.livejournal.com/anticipation_09/24245.html"]the convention livejournal[/url] - certainly makes it sound worthwhile.

Pebbles - I'm interested in hearing any pre- or post-con plans for exploring bits of Canada, and Niagara Falls is definitely top of my list. Looks like the train Montreal to Toronto takes 5-5.5 hours and Toronto to Niagara Falls Ontario takes about 2 hours. Trains are not that frequent so it would take 8-10 hours to do Montreal to Niagara in one day (costs about $116 CA for a single supersaver fare).

What's Toronto like?

Would be interested to hear what other recommendations people have for places to visit.

[quote name='Sophelia' post='1704092' date='Mar 1 2009, 21.14']By the way, some other con-goers are discussing the NYC-to-Montreal train in [url="http://community.livejournal.com/anticipation_09/24245.html"]the convention livejournal[/url] - certainly makes it sound worthwhile.

Pebbles - I'm interested in hearing any pre- or post-con plans for exploring bits of Canada, and Niagara Falls is definitely top of my list. Looks like the train Montreal to Toronto takes 5-5.5 hours and Toronto to Niagara Falls Ontario takes about 2 hours. Trains are not that frequent so it would take 8-10 hours to do Montreal to Niagara in one day (costs about $116 CA for a single supersaver fare).

What's Toronto like?

Would be interested to hear what other recommendations people have for places to visit.[/quote]

Soph - for your Info my travel plans.

All that cost me £630 which was cheaper than going by train (and quicker). I know you don't like overnight flights but there where loads of flights from Toronto - (I wanted to leave late, sleeping on a plane is easy)

[b]Tues 4th Aug[/b] Depart Heathrow 15:30 Air Canada 865
Arrive Montreal at 17:50

[b]Tues 11th Aug[/b] Depart Montreal (Pierre eElliot) 10:00am Air canada 407
Arrive Toronto (Pearson International) 11:15

[b]Thrus 13th Aug[/b] Depart Toronto (Pearson International) 23:15 Air Canada 858
[b]Arrive Fri 14th[/b] 11:25 Heathrow.

I have not yet booked my hotel room for Niagra / Toronto as I don't yet know how many to book it for, I also have one space in my hotel room for monday night or the whole con (but I'm only allowed to offer it to people I have previously met in person Have also offerend this to MG - donno if he wants/needs it) I think MG is/was about to book the same Toronto flights as me (although he's doing the NY train first I think)

I have not booked anything yet and it is quite unlikely I will be able to get in the same flights you are on Pebs so we may have to travel separately and meet at the other end.

I will let you know once I've sorted things out :)

ETA: Oh and yes I am probably almost definitely doing the NY party train thang :P

Well, it looks like I won't be making to Montreal as I had hoped. I just don't think I'm going to be able to afford it this year. As a backup plan I'm thinking of coming to New York for a couple days prior to the train ride up. It'll give me a chance to meet up even if I can't make it to the con.

[quote name='beniowa' post='1716317' date='Mar 11 2009, 17.03']Well, it looks like I won't be making to Montreal as I had hoped. I just don't think I'm going to be able to afford it this year. As a backup plan I'm thinking of coming to New York for a couple days prior to the train ride up. It'll give me a chance to meet up even if I can't make it to the con.[/quote]

:(

There is a new low-cost airline that seems to have taken over Zoom's stuff.

[url="http://www.flyglobespan.ca/"]Flyglobespan[/url]

It looks like the closest you can get to Montreal is Hamilton. They are a new airline, and they actually look cheaper than Zoom. My mum is taking it home to Glasgow in May. I'll let you guys know how it is.

Speaking of flights, we still have to book ours. I keep hoping for a seat sale. I refuse to pay $1200+ for our tickets for an hour and a half flight, and I don't want to drive for 12 hours or take a train for 20, bleh.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1718617' date='Mar 13 2009, 17.33']When do we find out who the Hugo nominees are?[/quote]

We don't. That's why they named the con "Anticipation" ;)

Archived