It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Week

• 4 weeks later...

so we community put a new spin on a clip show a couple years ago. now we have sunny's version of a clip show.

i loved it. it's been a while since i'v seen some of the seasons, so alot of the recreated moments gave me an odd- where have i seen this feeling. like i remembered the scene but not the context that it was in.

then when dee and frank have the long conversation in the gay bar and you expect the guy to just be gone.......only to have frank voice our own thoughts when he was still there, so fantastic.

really a good start to the season for me

Even though I only started watching the show a year and a half ago (with a massive catch up in short time) I couldn't entirely place all the references. It just left me with this eerily familiar feeling but couldn't quite pick out the exact comparisons. So it was almost too subtle for me.

I did enjoy the fact that the plan would have worked perfectly if they had just stuck to Frank's plan though and Dee blacking up is what the show does best, being cringeworthingly wrong (my favourite of these scenes was when Mac tried to "flirt" with his gym teacher).

Fun episode last night

Fun Fact: The crazy old McPoyle was actually director Guillermo Del Toro.

Charlie Day has a role in that Pacific Rim movie.

!

At first I thought it was maybe a guest appearance by GRRM!

The inbred family is always creepy and entertaining. I also liked Dennis when he said "when you said you were going to change I thought you meant personality"

The final bit with Dennis and Maureen was predictable, but it had some fantastic lines :

"That was... terrible. Who did those tits? The nipple placement is crazy."

"Let's runaway together."

"I'm gonna runaway, but not with you."

:lmao:

That was awesome. Who knew Charlie had it in him?

I almost sprayed my living room with Diet Coke right before the title screen when Dee did her little gag reflex thing.

And is it me or has the Waitress gotten progressively more attractive? She seems to be aging very very well.

• 4 weeks later...

This season is killing, usually this many years in is when shows start turning to complete shit.

Maybe because it doesn't pretend to any kind of chracter development except in that they become even worse assholes, I can totally see the show ending with a reveal that Dennis has a basement full of bodies, and I'd buy that.

And is it me or has the Waitress gotten progressively more attractive? She seems to be aging very very well.

yeah, i watched a season one ep recently and was shocked. she looks waaay better now.

This season is killing, usually this many years in is when shows start turning to complete shit.

yeah but sunny has had a wierd path.

a lot of shows make the jump to great in season 2 if they are going to.

sunny made the leap in like season 5. it hung around being quite good for years before they really, really, figured it out. then they make far and away their best season in their seventh. most shows are well on the decline by then but sunny was finding new heights of comedy. this year hasn't matched last year but it really instilled faith they have a few more years in them.

a lot of comedies run out of pathos before they run out of comedy. you can't just stretch pathos out indefinitely, as we see in newer seasons of the office and parks and rec.

sunny avoids this particular dilemma in the same way that seinfeld did: there has never been any pathos at all. which is certainly part of the reason why seinfeld was still good in season ten and why sunny has every chance to do the same.

one more reason: it's a lot easier to come up with 13 funny episodes in a year than 22.

I am not sure I agree about when it started to hit it's stride but I am not clear which episodes were from which season when I think back. I do remember there was a huge improvement between seasons 1 and 2, partially because Frank was a great addition, and because they started to get more ridiculous with the storylines.

The thing about Sunny is the only thing it needs to do is create comedy. There are no overarching storylines, no need for character growth, no need for anything other than a scheme. The resources are so broad that as long as they stick with the formula of "Assholes are assholes, find a scheme, do something assholish, get comeuppance."

I'd also agree that while they became really solid in the 5th season, there have always been quality episodes. Sweet Dee is Dating a Retarded Person from the 3rd(?) season is the episode I use to reel newbies in. I've probably watched that episode a dozen times with 10 or 11 different people and all but one wanted more.

The show that keeps on giving. Some of the others, I watch more out of habit than anything else. My response whenever a new episode of Sunny is available is more like 'holy shit!' than 'eh', as HIMYM, BBT, etc. receive.

Hilarious, even after all these years. :bowdown:

The thing about Sunny is the only thing it needs to do is create comedy. There are no overarching storylines, no need for character growth, no need for anything other than a scheme. The resources are so broad that as long as they stick with the formula of "Assholes are assholes, find a scheme, do something assholish, get comeuppance."

I'd also agree that while they became really solid in the 5th season, there have always been quality episodes. Sweet Dee is Dating a Retarded Person from the 3rd(?) season is the episode I use to reel newbies in. I've probably watched that episode a dozen times with 10 or 11 different people and all but one wanted more.

yeah, there were definitely fantastic episodes from 2 onwards, including the one you mentioned.

just didn't find the consistency yet. and i just rewatched everything this summer, and from 5 on, every episode was practically great. they definitely upped a notch of them being awful to each other.

the beginning of five really set the tone for the following seasons, when dee announces she is going to have a baby, and frank comes in to say that he bought a house to flip and they blow her off to start chanting house house house.....

Season 3 is the one where I think the show really killed it. . .I still think that it is the best season made.

Dumpster Baby, Invincible, Hostage, North Korea, Serial Killer, Retarded Person, The Gang get Whacked, and the Dancing Marathon are all among my very favorites.

"Crow's egg! Milk! Alcohol!"

:lol: That video was one of the best the gang has ever created. Dennis absolutely killed it this episode.

I love love when Charlie gets stuck on something. Like the crows in this episode. Best is probably the sign in antisocial network

Archived