Heroes

superkick

Oh, and I enjoyed the episode. Forgot to mention that. Has the show turned a corner, or are people so exhausted of beating the hell out of its stupidities that they've just given up bitching? ;)

It wasn't perfect, but there was nothing in it that I found objectionable (I even found Clarie's bits with her mother enjoyable; though her mom reminds me of Buffy's mother for some reason). I liked the bit with Rebel and the Operations area, I liked Hunter's turning Matt into a fake terrorist, and so on. The bit with Sylar's father was .... interesting. I'm wondering where they're going with that? Hrm.

If one wants to contrive plotholes.... do states still do those kinds of driver's licenses? Laminated with a photo inside? All the ones I see these days have the picture directly on the plastic.

I really liked Parkman's wink at the camera when the Hunter walked outside and there were 2 guards with their guns on him.

I also want to know where they are going with Sylar's dad cutting the top of his mom's head. We have been led to believe that Sylar's TK power is how he cuts heads, but now daddy can do it too. So is this a power he had before?

[quote name='Ran' post='1706025' date='Mar 3 2009, 11.28']If one wants to contrive plotholes.... do states still do those kinds of driver's licenses? Laminated with a photo inside? All the ones I see these days have the picture directly on the plastic.[/quote]

Possibly, though I really don't think so. But that's the little things that are easily looked past for the sake of it being television and it's one of those little things that one can suspend a modicom of belief for. That being said, I know we don't see her brother much, but didn't Claire just get her license at the opening of Season 2 (or was it this season? With the blatent car commercial within the show bit...?) and this is something like 6 months later and her brother is now old enough to drive? I thought he was a few years younger...?

[quote]I really liked Parkman's wink at the camera when the Hunter walked outside and there were 2 guards with their guns on him.[/quote]

Yah. Finally an instance where he actually seemed to be using his powers in a logical manner and showing that he knew how to use his powers in a logical manner...

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1705993' date='Mar 3 2009, 15.58']Well, up until a point, then the mutants were freed and it became a haven for them and then the evil un-born twin of Charles Xavier (who's name escapes me at the moment) basically liquified the 16 million or so mutants that were there at one point...[/quote]

Cassandra Nova didn't kill the Mutants herself she set a giant Sentinel on them.

Which then became self-aware and nearly had a breakdown because it realised what it had done, it was destroyed trying to save the world in Whedon's Astonishing X-men Run.

You know, this show has had some shitty two-dimensional villains but Hunter takes the cake. Basically this show is a live action cartoon. The least they could do is have some word balloon "bam" and "biff" when people get slugged.

OK, now I can't get past the Peter carrying another hero thing without switching to their power and dropping like a stone. And I truly doubt that it has even occurred to the TOOLS that write this show.

[quote name='Dagger' post='1706334' date='Mar 3 2009, 14.32']OK, now I can't get past the Peter carrying another hero thing without switching to their power and dropping like a stone. And I truly doubt that it has even occurred to the TOOLS that write this show.[/quote]

What do you mean exactly? That Peter should have already had Nathan's flight powers because Nathan caught him after he fell off the building from being shot? Not knowing his state of mind exactly at that moment, but I thought it was obvious that Peter can consciously control when he borrows a power...

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1706402' date='Mar 3 2009, 15.01']What do you mean exactly? That Peter should have already had Nathan's flight powers because Nathan caught him after he fell off the building from being shot? Not knowing his state of mind exactly at that moment, but I thought it was obvious that Peter can consciously control when he borrows a power...[/quote]

Although it's been there since season 1, I like the fact that all the people that can fly also have super strength. But only in certain situations. Quite a finicky power that flight thing.

[quote name='Slurktan' post='1706410' date='Mar 3 2009, 15.05']Although it's been there since season 1, I like the fact that all the people that can fly also have super strength. But only in certain situations. Quite a finicky power that flight thing.[/quote]

That isn't bothersome. It's a common factor of all comic book fliers that they can carry other people too, strength not withstanding.

[quote name='Ran' post='1706025' date='Mar 3 2009, 10.28']Oh, and I enjoyed the episode. Forgot to mention that. Has the show turned a corner, or are people so exhausted of beating the hell out of its stupidities that they've just given up bitching? ;)

It wasn't perfect, but there was nothing in it that I found objectionable (I even found Clarie's bits with her mother enjoyable; though her mom reminds me of Buffy's mother for some reason). I liked the bit with Rebel and the Operations area, I liked Hunter's turning Matt into a fake terrorist, and so on. The bit with Sylar's father was .... interesting. I'm wondering where they're going with that? Hrm.

If one wants to contrive plotholes.... do states still do those kinds of driver's licenses? Laminated with a photo inside? All the ones I see these days have the picture directly on the plastic.[/quote]

I'd mostly agree. My main irritation was that the action this episode consisted of Matt and Peter making weird faces at people. Not that I needed non-stop action, but it just looks damned silly. Maybe they can come up with a better cue to the audience than head turning and odd staring.

[quote name='EHK for a True GOP' post='1705696' date='Mar 3 2009, 00.21']They can't have a SWAT team standing by everywhere. Nor could they be absolutely certain they'd find them there. Perhaps those two were just the first responders. Its not consistent with the level of manpower they seem able to deploy everywhere else, but nothing distracting or debilitating with the inconsistency and more than enough reasonable means of rationalizing it without requiring any real explanation.[/quote]

I understand that, it just seemed silly that their two top priority targets are confirmed at a position, and they are able to escape by running out the front door.

[quote name='Sir Thursday' post='1706906' date='Mar 3 2009, 20.37']I didn't like the way they pulled that retcon about Parkman being sensitive to powerful sensory input in order to capture him, but apart from that I actually quite enjoyed this episode. How nice :D.[/quote]

Retcon? Parkman's never been great when dealing with sensory input when he's "cocking his head funny"... :P

Good stuff:

- Mom-daughter bonding time between Claire and Mrs. Bennet. Nicely done. Mrs. Bennet is cool.
- Underwater Boy is cuuteee.
- Love the way Peter and Matt brainwashed those guards into defending them and then taunted the agents via the security camera. That got a chuckle from me.
- Angela Petrelli is not the Rebel. Hence we still have a tantalizing mystery there. Excellent.
- Sylar's dad is freaky and scarily intriguing.

Bad stuff:

- Lyle Bennet is treated shamefully. No screen time for his emotional reactions to everything in his life. Does he care that government agents are watching his house, that his dad left, that his sister has a hero complex? Does he wish he was special too? I mean, he gets his driver's licence messed up by his mom and doesn't even notice that there's this strange new dude in the house. Really, Kring? No matter how well the other three Bennets (and Mr. Muggles) are fleshed out, all of it will continue to ring hollow unless you give Lyle some freaking development. The sloppy writing really pushes the boundaries.
- Sylar didn't kill that annoying boy apprentice. So he can kill badass people like Elle and then he forces us to put up with irritating brats like Luke.
- Nathan might be conflicted, but he just comes off as a big blah. Also, more sloppy writing: will we [i]never again[/i] see Nathan's two sons? What the hell ever happened to them? And his wife? Nathan's family is important because [i]he[/i] has become a primary antagonist now. But the writing, as usual, is sloppy. I don't actually know why I bother criticizing this show anymore. :P
- There's no explanation as to why Sylar forgot that memory of his dad so completely.

I think if I drank every time they gave Sylar a new backstory I'd pass out drunk within 20 minutes of each episode. If I drank every time he switched between bad/good I'd die of liver failure before the volume is done.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1706922' date='Mar 4 2009, 01.57']Retcon? Parkman's never been great when dealing with sensory input when he's "cocking his head funny"... :P[/quote]

Really? I never noticed before this ep - can you give me some examples?

Sir Thursday

[quote name='Brienne of Tarth' post='1707004' date='Mar 3 2009, 23.14']- Lyle Bennet is treated shamefully. No screen time for his emotional reactions to everything in his life. Does he care that government agents are watching his house, that his dad left, that his sister has a hero complex? Does he wish he was special too? I mean, he gets his driver's licence messed up by his mom and doesn't even notice that there's this strange new dude in the house. Really, Kring? No matter how well the other three Bennets (and Mr. Muggles) are fleshed out, all of it will continue to ring hollow unless you give Lyle some freaking development. The sloppy writing really pushes the boundaries.[/quote]
I just thought it was implied that Lyle was always really really high.

[quote]Really? I never noticed before this ep - can you give me some examples?[/quote]

Yeah. In fact, during Daphne's faux-death scene, didn't Matt mind control those soldiers in the middle of a [i]gun battle[/i]? And now he can't stomach the fire alarm? I don't know why I care anymore, the writers of this show are so utterly shameless about just flat making things up to suit the plot that they make the writing staff of BSG look like models of consistency instead.

Archived