The Brandon Sanderson Thread

BuckShotBill

I liked Elantris enough to keep reading Sanderson which led me to Mistborn which I liked much better. That's a goofy sentence but I think you'll get the idea. Elantris charmed me with what I consider Brandon's primary strength...concepts in general but primarily magic systems. In the intro to Gathering Storm, Sanderson says he has long been a WoT fan and I think that shows in the influence of Jordan's One Power structure on Brandon's very organized magic systems.

I do remember liking the prose in Mistborn more than that in Elantris and The Gathering Storm has continued that improvement. But I'm not sure Elantris was written before Mistborn was...maybe someone can help me out with this. I know Sanderson wrote more than ten books before being published. Was Mistborn among these? Was the new Warbreaker? I suppose it doesn't matter as the books would have been polished and reworked for publication anyway. And thus whatever point I wanted to make has been rendered moot. Anyway, the man is a talented writer and I enjoy his work.

Well, Elantris was published in 2005, a year before Mistborn. Hard to day. Perhaps you mean his The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive) series which is planned for release date in 2010? (not sure this is definitive yet). He's been working on and off that one for a while if I recall from his blog.

I want to say that Elantris was his 9th book and Mistborn his 14th, but I'm really not sure. However I AM sure that Elantris was written first.

I think it's an even bigger gap then that. And Elantris DEFINITELY came first.

But yeah, there's like 5+ books between when he wrote Elantris and when he wrote Mistborn.

I finished the Mistborn Trilogy last weekend and The Gathering Storm prior to that. I really enjoy his writing style and his innovation on his magic systems. What I liked even more was the insight into the chapters of the Mistborn books on his website. I was really bummed to see that he didn't have any annotations up for Hero of Ages.

I really hope that Tor will let him do something similar when AMoL is finished.

I finished the Mistborn Trilogy last weekend and The Gathering Storm prior to that. I really enjoy his writing style and his innovation on his magic systems. What I liked even more was the insight into the chapters of the Mistborn books on his website. I was really bummed to see that he didn't have any annotations up for Hero of Ages.

He does have some up for Hero of Ages. I was reading some of them the other day. Also just checked his site now and there's some new annotations that have been put up today. But yeah it's interesting reading (mostly).

edit: My mistake. The new ones were up last week rather than today. It's been a long day...

I believe Mistborn was about his 14th book. Although he had an earlier book called "The Final Empire" that in his own words wasn't very good and lacked the Allomancy and many of the things from Mistborn. He eventually combined the two ideas and came up with something much better. But Elantris is the first book he wrote that got published, and it was written well before anything else that has been published.

He does have some up for Hero of Ages. I was reading some of them the other day. Also just checked his site now and there's some new annotations that have been put up today. But yeah it's interesting reading (mostly).

edit: My mistake. The new ones were up last week rather than today. It's been a long day...

Awesome! I had to look around a little bit more than I was accustomed to. I guess since he's not finished with all the annotations, its not listed with a little icon on his Mistborn section. Thanks.

Brandon Sanderson amazes me in that not only does he write amazingly fast (with decent to great quality) but he also spends so much time on other projects, his annotations being only one example.

I still can't believe how quickly he's churning out books. Of course, many authors start out fast in their early years and slow to a crawl as time goes by. We all know how that goes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Whelan's colors and landscapes are always so gorgeous. But the front figure is a vague let down. Hard to really get a sense of what's going on in that particular image.

I generally like Whelan and this one looks good but not as good as the Cold Fire covers. I'm guessing that painting also covers the back of the book.

Is it me or is the author's name enormous? The proportion seems off somehow.

At this stage in Sanderson's career, post-The Gathering Storm, and with this being the start of an all new series, it's pretty normal for the author's name to be the biggest thing on the cover, since that's what is gonna sell the thing.

Archived