RIP David Eddings

swedeheadchris

I loved the Belgariad and still read it from time to time as a sort of comfort food for my reading soul. Yes the later ones were pretty dire but Silk will always be one of my favourite characters with his pointy nose. Sad news.

Some good quotes from Eddings:

Eddings was famously old-fashioned, never using a typewriter or computer (he wrote out his scripts in long-hand) and was well-known for being self-effacing, once remarking, "I'm never going to be in danger of getting a Nobel Prize for literature." He was most pleased when told that his books had turned nonreaders into booklovers. "I look upon this as perhaps my purpose in life," he explained in a 1997 interview. "I am here to teach a generation or two how to read. After they've finished with me and I don't challenge them any more, they can move on to somebody important like Homer or Milton."

RIP David Eddings

I loved the Belgariad and still read it from time to time as a sort of comfort food for my reading soul. Yes the later ones were pretty dire but Silk will always be one of my favourite characters with his pointy nose. Sad news.

This is pretty much what I was going to write.

I'm going to have to pick up my battered, tattered, and torn copy of Pawn of Prophecy and get lost in it again (for the umpteenth time) for a few hours.

Sad news, indeed.

RIP father of many lost hours of enjoyment...

I wish I could find the article, but have always been tickled that the Sparhawk books came out of a prelim manuscript he had to write for one of the Belgarion books.

Sad news...time to go pick up the unknown farm boy and see him turn into a hero again.

You said it perfectly. A sad day for me.

Pawn of the Prophecy was the book that got me hooked on Fantasy. I'd read a bit of Piers Anthony, Andre Norton, from the School Library, The Sword of Shannara, and of course CS Lewis, and LLoyd Alexander even before that. But becoming friends with Garion, Silk, Barak, Durnik, Belgarath, Hettar, Madorellen, and the rest back in the 7th grade is what made me fall in love with the genre. I've probably read the Belgariad more than anything alside from the Big Book of Dinosaurs which I checked out of the library 87 times as a child I think.

I think I'll pull out my old friends tonight. Its been to long since I've had a visit with them. I've lef them behind to hang out with Martin, and Abecrombie, and Bakker, and I feel a bit guilty about it now.

I did not know about the Belgariad series when I picked up The Diamond Throne when I was in the Navy, it got me into fanasy. I almost finished it in one day reading in my off time.

I did not read a lot of the Tamuli series; however, I did read the Pawn of Prorhersey this summer and enjoyed it.

This is sad new while not the best author out there, he will always hold a place in my reading heart. :cry:

I remember being in 7th grade and staying home "sick" so that I could finish the Belgariad series. I really loved them, while I feel like I grew out of them as I got older they still hold a special place in my heart.

Rest in Peace Mr. Eddings and thank you for helping a nerdy, awkward girl get through middle school.

Saw this this morning. Quite sad. Oddly, I thought he was older, like in his 90's. PoP/QoS was the first time I ever finished two books in one day. And an Eddings board was the first one I regularly posted at.

Archived