RIP EHK

EHK for Darwin

While I was tossing and turning last night, unable to sleep because of this news, it struck me that we had just had the Brilliant Boarder thread and nearly every poster mentioned EHK. I'm glad he got to read that.

I just heard the news today, since I rarely log onto General Chatter. I'm very sorry. I didn't always agree with his opinions when I was lurking, but really enjoyed his posts. Rest in peace :(

EHK and I had our share of disagreements and tic-for-tats on the boards. However, we exchanged some nice emails over my time on these boards.

I will miss having him here to call me out and I will miss having his insight on so many things.

My heart goes out to his family and those on the boards he touched.

When I think of EHK's passing, I keep thinking back to the eulogy that Hunter S. Thompson posted about Tim Leary, and I can't help but feel like it suits him perfectly. So, borrowing from HST, in tribute to EHK (who I hope would approve):

"(Tom) was a Chieftain. He Stomped on the Terra, and he left his elegant hoof prints on all our lives... We will see him soon enough. Our tribe is now smaller by one. Our circle is one link shorter. And there is one more name on the honor roll of pure warriors who saw the great light and leapt for it..."

I remember way back when I first started coming to Ezboard and when his political opinions were different, I had a few heated clashes with the guy, and thought I had him figured out, namely as somebody I didn't care to know because of his political opinions. Then I saw the guy a few times in chat and one day it hit me that despite our political differences, I actually agreed with him a lot and really quite liked the guy. He was the one who first made me realise that you should not pass judgment on somebody you don't know simply based on their politics. And when his political views changed into something closer to where I was, I developed a profound respect for him as somebody who although engages in sometimes heated discussions, at least listens to the other viewpoints and sometimes changes positions. That's rare anywhere, particularly in a place like an Internet message board where more often than not people are trying to win an argument rather than engage in actual discourse, myself included. He was a rare breed and although I never met the guy nor was even all that close to him, I consider him a friend all the same and mourn his passing. RIP Tom.

Thank you so much for posting and letting us all know Chris. God only knows what else you're going through.

EHK has been one of my favourites for years and years. I've loved his posts, always stopped to read when I saw his name :) He was even one of the original Bootleggers junkies :love:. He'll be greatly greatly missed.

I was so hoping that this would be some sort of twisted joke...

rip Tom

Everyone has already said it much better than I can but I just want to say how very saddened I am by this news. I, too, loved reading EHK's rants and he always had so much knowledge about things. I really enjoy lurking around all the election and politics threads, generally keeping my mouth shut and my eyes open, and learning a great deal from EHK and many others. I will miss him around here.

My sincerest condolences to his family.

There are not many boarders who've contributed more to this community than EHK, whether it be in the form of post-counts, intelligent conversation or entertaining rants. He will be sadly missed.

What sad news to read, and what a tragic loss. Over the years, I felt like I saw EHK grow and mature in a lot of ways, but always maintaining over the years that conviction and a fiery spark. He had a breadth of knowledge on a lot of subjects. We agreed on some things (go White Sox) and disagreed on others (boo, smoking). I had the chance to meet EHK I think just once and was pleased to finally meet him in person.

Chris, my condolences to you and your family on your loss.

Whenever someone dies the thing that makes me the saddest is thinking about all the stuff they are going to miss. It makes me profoundly sad that EHK is never going to know the real reason Sarah Palin resigned. Nor will he see Notre Dame rise back to prominence, or boxing and mma cards in the immediate future. So many questions left answered. *sigh*

"(Tom) was a Chieftain. He Stomped on the Terra, and he left his elegant hoof prints on all our lives... We will see him soon enough. Our tribe is now smaller by one. Our circle is one link shorter. And there is one more name on the honor roll of pure warriors who saw the great light and leapt for it..."

Well chosen, DG.

Thanks for posting the pictures, Ran and Mormont. :)

Wow. This is truly fucked up.

Being a lurker in GC I’ve never interacted with him, but his name would regularly pop up in discussions and I always enjoyed reading his posts; a great guy. RIP EHK

Condolences to his family and friends.

Archived