Mini Rants

ztemhead

stuff

Wow. That's an entire store of unwarranted dickish-ness in that post.

Obviously, nobody who hired her or works there has any kind of problem with her performance, so it probably makes more sense for you to find another store, if she displeases you so much.

And how would you know that she's not one more complaint away from being canned?

Wow. That's an entire store of unwarranted dickish-ness in that post.

Heh, yeah, you're probably right. It's probably showing that I've been in that particular buisness (retail, not dickishness :thumbsup:) for some time now, and have had to endure any number of mind-blowingly inane customer "complaints" on any number of topics. I suppose it tends to make me a little jaded.

And how would you know that she's not one more complaint away from being canned?

Well dude, I suppose I don't, but I will tell you this. In most of the retail places I've managed, I've had customers complain about every employee at some time or another, from my very best to the most incompetent fuck-ups. People will always find something to be upset about, and unless those allegations are about an actually serious matter: e.g., improper sexual conduct, violence of any kind, threats, etc they're usually, and in my opinion, rightfully, ignored.

Plus, I have, y'know, psychic powers, so I happen to know for a fact this girl is the bee's knees.

Heh, yeah, you're probably right. It's probably showing that I've been in that particular buisness (retail, not dickishness :thumbsup: ) for some time now, and have had to endure any number of mind-blowingly inane customer "complaints" on any number of topics. I suppose it tends to make me a little jaded.

Well dude, I suppose I don't, but I will tell you this. In most of the retail places I've managed, I've had customers complain about every employee at some time or another, from my very best to the most incompetent fuck-ups. People will always find something to be upset about, and unless those allegations are about an actually serious matter: e.g., improper sexual conduct, violence of any kind, threats, etc they're usually, and in my opinion, rightfully, ignored.

Plus, I have, y'know, psychic powers, so I happen to know for a fact this girl is the bee's knees.

I have been in the customer service industry for my whole career span. So I'm going to ignore the little jab about it being a long time ago. I was a cashier a long time ago,but I've never left customer service. And I did my years in the retail trenches and I did it well.

I have been bitter and jaded (mostly very early on when I took customer complaints personally), yes there's a LOT of assholes who complain just because they can. I have MANY crazy fucktard customer stories, but I choose to not let them get to me and focus on the many more cool ones. And being a cool service provider goes a looong way to promote that.

This chick has an attitude/chip on her shoulder that just screams 'I HATE MY JOB, I HATE YOU, I DON'T CARE.'

She has not yet learned that treating customers like shit does not get you anywhere.

Maybe she never will, she should probably get out of the industry.

I did not 'get in her face', I was calm, assertive and polite, as I stated in my first post.

She very likely IS one step away from getting fired or quitting.

One can only hope.

Yes I could have handled it better by actually telling the customers off, or by being more forceful in taking my place but I was honestly in shock over the gall of these people to do that to an old man (the guy in front of me) more than myself. And IMO she should be more aware of what's going on.

I was in no way a 'mind-blowingly insane' customer. That gets no one nowhere.

Oh and if I was feeling more charitable towards her I would tell her that some random dude from the interwebz thinks she's the 'bees-knees'... that made me laugh anyways. :lol:

Recently, I was given the run-around by the local college's financial aid department. I did the FAFSA form online earlier this month for my wife. We got the results via email.

I then called fin. aid to see if they got the results. "No, we didn't. We'll call you when we do."

A week went by. I called fin. aid again. "Do you have the results?"

"No, your going to have to contact FAFSA."

So, I call them. "Hello. My name is _____. I'm calling on behalf of my wife _______. Can you help me....?"

"Sir, I'm sorry, but your wife will have to call us directly."

"How do we do that? My wife is not currently in the country."

"Ask her to log into our Live Help chat room on the website."

Ok. So I finally find the Live Help chat room and log-in. "Hello. My name is (insert the wife's name her). Can you help me resend the fin. aid paperwork to the fin. aid office at my school?"

"Can you please type in your SSN and your DOB, so that I may access your file?" I do so. "One moment please."

"Miss, we processed your application on Aug. 18th. Please ask your fin. aid office to access that day's section within the database. This is all done electronically. We can't 'resend' the documents as you are requesting."

"But, they are the people that asked me to contact you. Now, you are asking me to contact them."

"I'm sorry. Can I help you with anything else today?"

*deep breath* *sigh* "No. No thank you." Log-out.

Now, I have to call the fin. aid office. Again. "Hello. I am calling about my wife's fin. aid paperwork. I called FAFSA. They said to the information you need is in the FAFSA database dated Aug. 18th."

"Well. Let's look at the database. What's the SSN again?" I give the number. He types it in. "Mmm... There seems to be a problem here. We don't have the SSN entered in the proper location."

"FUCK YOU, ASSHOLE!!!!!!! I just did about 2 hours of busy work because some shithead neglected to do 15 seconds of data entry. Ain't that some shit?"

Or at least that's what I'm thinking in my head.

"Ok. Now we need you to call the fin. aid office at our main campus."

*CLICK*

The proper thing for me to do right there would have been to say, "No offense, sir, but I just put in a lot of time to correct a mistake made by someone in your office. I think it is only fair that your office make this call." Unfortunately, my patience (and my ability to speak with a patient tone) was a distant memory at that time. Besides, it probably would have taken another week for someone in that office to actually do the task.

So, I call the main campus and get transfered to fin. aid. "Hello. The fin. aid office at your branch campus wanted me to call you. They corrected their file. Now, we need you to look through the FAFSA database from Aug. 18th to find the necessary paperwork."

"Uh... Ok." *pause for processing of an atypical request given in an expected fashion* "Let me write a ticket to request this information. This will probably take about 5 to 7 business days."

Grrrr. *deep breath* *happy place* "Thank you for your help."

GOD DAMN IT! I hate fuckin' mindless bureaucrats and their "Our computers can't be wrong" mentality. If I could go back in time, the first thing I'd do is beat the livin' shit out of Max Weber.

Guest Nadine
Returning the thread to ranting, I would like to complain (once again) about babies/toddlers on planes. OMFG, if you can't keep your crotch fruit from yelling and screaming and crying for TWO STRAIGHT MOTHERFUCKING HOURS, maybe he doesn't belong on the plane. Or load him up with some cough syrup. Yeah, guess who just came straight from the airport.

I feel that a second rant may be coming on soon, about mothers who say that I just don't understand what it's like to travel with little precious there, and you know what, it was your choice to have the kid, not mine so don't take it out on me. Because, you know, I understand that babies cry and you can't keep them quiet every single minute, but seriously YELLING FOR TWO HOURS? He wasn't a newborn or anything, in fact, he wasn't so little that if it had been me, I wouldn't have been turned over my mother's knee for acting like that in public.

Nope, you don't know how ungodly horrible it is to travel with a kid like that. That blank look on the parent's face? Thats the utter mortification of knowing your precious child is being horrid and you would greatly like to experiment and see if swatting lildevil would make them mind you and stfu, but you just know there are at least 4 people on the plane who would turn you in and your rationial mind knows that giving your child a beatdown to satisfy the sensibilities of your fellow travelers is entirely counterproductive. Perhaps the parent should have done a poll with the others in the plane - I know my kid is being a shit and would you stop being so fucking patronizing at me if I hit the child? If so, how many hits? How hard? How much do I have to beat my child to satisfy you?

No, I don't like listening to crying, overtired, overstimulated, out of their element children. I also don't want to be stuck next to any other sensory overloads on any sort of public transport that I can't escape. Too much perfume/cologne, BO, random stank, personal space invasion, talking to me, leaning your seat back so your head is in my crotch, having you hit me on the head with your 50 gazillion fucking carry on bags, your stank ass food, your loud motherfucking voice, etc. Its all part of PUBLIC transport, so we have to try to pretend to get along. Thats society.

I understand that babies and toddlers on transportation can't be helped, but babies and toddlers who can't sit quietly for 2 hours should not be brought to the movies. Please get a babysitter to stay at home. I paid money to see a movie, not to have your kid talk, scream, yell, kick the seat, climb into others seats (esp. occupied by people outside of their family). I went to see Harry Potter with a friend a few weeks ago. We were sitting in half filled movie theatre. There was plenty of empty seats. This family of three decided to sit a sit right next to us. The three year old kept talking, making noises and eventually started to kick my friend or climb on her. Wtf. Leave your kid at home. I don't think they're ready for a PG-13 film they're neither going to understand nor remember!

Movies are not for children. Why the fuck can't people understand this? If you bring a kid to a movie it best be fucking Shrek or some shit. No, your kid isn't quiet, no your kid isn't sitting still and not twitching and kicking other people and their chairs - you are just so USED TO IT that you don't notice. Sack the fuck up and watch movies on DVD or don't be a cheap fucker and get a sitter. DO NOT take your damn kids to adult movies.

Jesus Christ.

Thanks, Chal. :thumbsup:

My own mini-rant: When I enter these sorts of discussions, I go in thinking I have two, maybe three clear, concise points to make. After I hit 'post', I wonder where the hell this 47-page rambling monstrosity has come from. WTF, self, shut up! If you can't make your point succinctly, or at least efficiently, rethnk your approach and start again. :tantrum:

I rather like those posts. It shows the path of a person's thought pattern and there are always jewels found in the oddest places.

Dio, I got past the twos twice with the simple question 'Do you want candy/truck/car/apple/etc' - something I knew they wanted. They would yell NO!! then think about it and say yes. Never failed to make me laugh. The experts say during the No's, you should never ask yes/no questions. Ex) Would you like carrots or celery? That way the kids feel empowered by having a choice and you don't go mad when they say no to everything you present. :P

As for right now, my bitch is that I have been under some stress and have been clenching my teeth. All the muscles in my jaw are sore and my teeth feel loose.

And I can hear my neighbor snoring. groooooos

Perhaps the parent should have done a poll with the others in the plane - I know my kid is being a shit and would you stop being so fucking patronizing at me if I hit the child? If so, how many hits? How hard? How much do I have to beat my child to satisfy you?

Yes, actually I would stop being so "fucking patronizing" if I saw parents actually trying to control their children. Not much you can do about a very young baby, but if the little fucker is having a tantrum and is old enough to know better, and you're just fucking looking the other way while the kid screams, and you didn't bring any shit to distract your crotch droppings, yeah, I'd rather you give the kid a spanking. Incidentally, I just got back from my return trip.

I wish they'd just find a safe sedative and get on with the new version of air travel where we all get knocked out and then stacked up in pods or something, to save on space, discomfort, and annoyance.

As for right now, my bitch is that I have been under some stress and have been clenching my teeth. All the muscles in my jaw are sore and my teeth feel loose.
Went to the dentist on Monday and he showed me a crack in one of my molars - caused by clenching my jaws. :cry: He said I need more Zen in my life.

Guest Nadine
Yes, actually I would stop being so "fucking patronizing" if I saw parents actually trying to control their children. Not much you can do about a very young baby, but if the little fucker is having a tantrum and is old enough to know better, and you're just fucking looking the other way while the kid screams, and you didn't bring any shit to distract your crotch droppings, yeah, I'd rather you give the kid a spanking. Incidentally, I just got back from my return trip.

I really hope you do not have children.

Isis, I already broke one tooth and I am afraid another is about to go. :(

I guess since you don't have a lot of experience dealing with young children from newborn up to about 4-5 years old, which is when they can actually understand things like "no" and not throw a huge fit about being denied what they want, it's harder for you to have empathy. It's been said that children up until about 4 are like cavemen. They aren't particularly good about communicating how they feel, and we aren't particularly good at understanding why they do certain things, mostly because we're old enough to reason and have patience.

I'm wondering how old you think "old enough" constitutes. 3? 4? Their powers of logic and reason are pathetically puny, no matter how much you explain to them why they cannot do x or have y. Most people cooped up on a plane will wait however long it takes for it to land so they can get off. Toddlers don't get this. They want off NOW. They don't get why they can't go NOW. NOW, GODDAMMIT. And then they cry. The situation doesn't change. They cry harder until suddenly they're full out in tantrum mode and they have trouble stopping.

Meanwhile, people who have no experience with children think that the parent should be able to bribe, distract, smack, or otherwise control their kid for the public's peace of mind. Sorry Ep, the little shits have minds of their own. By the way, I'm curious to know how you think a spanking will help the situation. Would it be designed to shock a child into silence?

Meanwhile, people who have no experience with children think that the parent should be able to bribe, distract, smack, or otherwise control their kid for the public's peace of mind.
You forgot to include drugging them, which was the original suggestion.

I was out in the rich part of town last night, driving around looking for this address and getting a wee bit frustrated. Frustrated because my GPS navigation would have me drive straight through a wall, frustrated because rich people put all these lame twists and turns on their roads for no apparant reason, frustrated that I'm driving a cab at 1AM on a Friday night, you get the idea. But lo, there's the street I'm looking for! No wait, ya can't get there from here. There's a big fat NO ENTRY sign on the way across, along with some very menacing looking speed nuggets, and another sign that says EMERGENCY VEHICLES ONLY.

Already late, in my fatigued, overcaffeinated state, I assess the situation. Scooting across those buggers means saving having to drive all the way around and down, after which I may or may not be able to locate that road again, the road which is RIGHT HERE. I slowly start to drive over the road nuggets, and sure enough, even going slow as I am, it trips the camera in the cab which catches a nice video of the whole thing, which I'll undoubtedly have to explain to the company soon enough.

Really though? At 1AM? And why not just put up a gate or something? It was like an invitation to break the law.

mini rant #1 (inspired by ztem's rant above)

Parking lots with only, like, two enterance/exit openings. I hate when I drive to a corner of a parking lot which intuitively seems like a perfectly logical place to enter/exit, only to find it curbed off, causing me to drive around for what seems to be miles finding the damn entrance/exit. More openings do not cause more wrecks. Fewer only cause more backups and fuel road (or parking lot) rage episodes.

mini rant #2

Steak and Shake advertising. Maybe I'm just biased because of the dozen or so times I've been to a Steak and Shake, I've only had one good experience. BUT. The fucking advertising is misleading. They say x number of "meals for $4!." But, if you look closely at the advert or even make the trip into a Steak and Shake expecting a meal for $4, you'll discover it does not include a drink. Sandwich and fries. That's it. That's your goddamned meal. Fuck that! I go to a fast(ish) food restaurant that has a drive through and they offer me a meal for 4 bucks, it better goddamn well include a drink! What the fuck kinda bargain is that that you feel like it is worth advertising about? You add a soft drink and with tax, now you're pushing $6. fuh.

mini rant #2

Steak and Shake advertising.

Yeah, I no longer patronize that place since they changed their menu, which was the same time they started this lame advertising. They removed the yogurt fruit smoothie, which is 10X better than their regular milkshake. It's actually not so sweet that it hurts my teeth to drink. So yeah, they're being stupid trying to compete with McD and Subway, etc. They should be the "slightly better than McDonald's" chain and go get the clients who'd pay $2 or $3 more for a better meal. Bah. Stupid businesses.

I was tempted to put this in the US healthcare thread, but no, its a rant.

Mrs W just got a mail shot from a building society she has an account with. For some health insurance. Against female specific cancers. Accompanied by lots of horror story stuff about cancers and how likely she is to get one. The deal is that if she pays them about £10 a month she gets a £25K lump sum if she develops any female cancer. Unless, reading the small print, she gets it within 3 months of starting to pay the premiums. Or unless she has any existing condition that makes her more likely to get cancer. Or unless ...

Looking at the (very) small print, I see that this insurance is not actually offered by the building society, but by AIG. The society has apparently just sold the details of their customers, plus the right to use their logo, to AIG.

Just what the f*cking hell is the point of this?? 25K?? How far would that go if (the Flying Spaghetti Monster forbid) she got a "female specific" cancer? What if she got some other cancer instead? Or suffered another of the million and one mischances that all flesh is heir to?

What the flying f*ck is the UK doing aping the worst aspects of the broken US health care system??? Is this building society really that desperate for a bit of extra cash??? Well they can go and f*ck themselves, because they have just lost our custom.

No, that is not at all what I meant. I said originally that "by choice" is a gross oversimplification.

I know, I even said something along those lines. In the end though I thought it was reasonable to point out that in the end one does have a choice, it's harder for some than for others but it is there. And you'd agree.

Also, you do mention children, and I think you'll find that an ever increasing number of people who are obese as adults had problems with weight alredy as children and grew up on unhealthy diets. You also mention lack of education, depression etc. Are these free choices? These people chose to be depressed, or not educated enough? I agree that there is an element of inacitvity in this and of bad choices made, but to go ahead and simply say "it's by choice" is to grossly oversimplify things.

With the availability of information today most people can educate themselves. Weight watchers is there and does a great job in regard to this. These arn't kids now, they're adults. Acknowleding personal responsibility for you situation is important, else you just wallow in excuses. People love excuses. It's like complaining that you can't read on the one hand whilst declining reading classes with the other and then expecting special consideration when applying for a job.

In regard to depression there are in some cases choices you can make to get out of that depressed state instead of wallowing in it. In some cases of you may not be able to help it but just like with the genetically fat people do you think these are the majority?

A country awash with fat depressed people?

It's a bit like telling somebody who is depressed to "just snap out of it". For a lot of people, overeating is not dissimilar to fighting an addiction. And unhealthy food is everywhere! It's marketed to us in the supermarkets, on TV, on leaflets sent home. Plus at least in the UK, eating a crap diet is often cheaper than eating a healthy one. Sure, it is a choice, or actually continuous choices, you will have to make, but it is by no means a straight forward or easy thing to do.

Acknowledging that something is difficult and has a number of different causes doesn't mean it absolves people of personal responsibility. Saying "oh it's a disease" and offering everyone gastric bypass would be absolving people, but I am definitely no fan of that method.

I think in the end we basically are thinking a very similar thing. I'm just going out of my way to point out that it's up to the sufferer themselves in the end. And doing it in a kind of harsh way.

There was basically a bit too much lovey dovey care bear 'it's not their fault' in thread and not enough to counterbalance it. I thought it could do with a bit of balancing out.

To a degree it is their fault.

Unless you're not one for free will.

I haven't had any real work for over a month, and when I finally get some, it's a fucking Pokemon movie. It's like giving a steak to a starving man, but it's being served with shit sauce all over it. :tantrum:

And it's already been dubbed into Norwegian, FFS! How many hearing-impaired kids are there in Norway, and what are the odds any of them are Pokemon-fans? Jeebus...

What's so freakin' great about big cities? It's the same old sh*t as smaller towns, just in greater numbers.

What the hell kind of cities have you been hanging out in? Wal-Marts and Multiplexes sounds like suburban hell to me, not like a city at all. I love small towns too, but cities have a breadth of art, culture and entertainment that you aren't likely to get in smaller towns.

Archived