SG: U Spoilers

oneeye

Gotta admit, I expected a pat ending where it was revealed that the star and planet were figments of someone's imagination as they tried to work through the tensions on the ship on a subconscious level...or that someone else was in the clutches of the aliens and that the alien experimants were giving this person what they wanted in an attempt to better understand humans...

Some on the Gateworld forum (where I can post from work) are complaing about the serial and character driven nature of SGU. They are claiming that SGU isn't really "SciFi" because it is so character and interrelationship driven. That's what I like about the show. Most of the camp of the first two incarnations of Stargate has been dropped and the tone is much more serious.

I'm suprised by the backlash.

Some on the Gateworld forum (where I can post from work) are complaing about the serial and character driven nature of SGU. They are claiming that SGU isn't really "SciFi" because it is so character and interrelationship driven. That's what I like about the show. Most of the camp of the first two incarnations of Stargate has been dropped and the tone is much more serious.

It is surprising. Don't they want to see how Battlestar Galactica was supposed to go? I mean, that's what it feels like I'm watching sometimes, if on a smaller scale... :P

Maybe they don't enjoy good TV and just want one shot episodes with human aliens and a new world that looks like the woods near Vancouver?

Haha, that was a bit more snarky than I meant for it to be, all said with a smile! ;)

I really liked the last episode - that was almost the exact opposite of what I think of when I think 'Stargate'. I do wish we would know actual numbers on crew and how many stayed behind and such.

That's hilarious, and a little sad at the same time.

I really liked the last episode - that was almost the exact opposite of what I think of when I think 'Stargate'. I do wish we would know actual numbers on crew and how many stayed behind and such.

I think they're being very careful to never really come out and say "theres 42 people on board" so they don't write themselves into any corners. If they suddenly want to take a slightly different direction with the crew politics or something of the sort, they can still semi plausibly reveal that theres actually 112 people, no, really, the mess hall has shifts, thats why you never see them all together!

weird in particular that they're calling it not really "scifi", given that it both seems to have a lot of concern for actual science (which is still not a huge lot, as far as I can tell, but theres clearly a certain effort there) for a tv show, and its one of the best series I can recall for actually exploring SFish concepts and having a bit of the old sense-of-wonder, rather than just an adventure show set on a spaceship. I think I said someplace upthread it reminds me a lot of a decent big dumb object novel, which is not a bad thing at all in this instance.

I think they're being very careful to never really come out and say "theres 42 people on board" so they don't write themselves into any corners. If they suddenly want to take a slightly different direction with the crew politics or something of the sort, they can still semi plausibly reveal that theres actually 112 people, no, really, the mess hall has shifts, thats why you never see them all together!

That's 100% why they're doing it, but I think it's contradictory to the realism that they're trying to portray. I've got mixed feelings about it because it's nice that they're not locked into a set cast list, but it also allows for sloppy writing.

That's 100% why they're doing it, but I think it's contradictory to the realism that they're trying to portray. I've got mixed feelings about it because it's nice that they're not locked into a set cast list, but it also allows for sloppy writing.

hey, I love logistics. I would watch antire episodes about how the hydroponics bay works and what considerations were at bay when picking quarters. I liked the early episodes when they were getting water/air/etc, except the bits were they were marred by all the silly drama and heroics. More models of water use per person, please!

However, I am grudgingly willing to concede that that might not be everyones cup of tea, trilobitic heathens though they be, so I can appreciate the options the writers are leaving open for themselves. Even similar format shows usually either had much bigger crews - Voyager, Galactica - or endless potential for contact with the natives - Farscape, Andromeda.

Watching that I was totally wishing it was in 3D.

Regarding Destiny's crew there's always the opportunity to introduce an Alien to the mix. Of course if it's one who immediately speaks English it would ring hollow but maybe they could have one who miscommunicates with the crew via an interpreter module and correctly to the viewers via subtitles. That would be bold.

I think a lot of people are complaining because Universe is not another SG-1 or Atlantis. People like what they like and it's clear that Universe is doing things differently than what they did before. I do hope the show broadens out a bit later, but for now I'm liking it as it is.

Its a total shit show in the one forum i saw, not sure if its Gateworld. They have polls to see who is smarter, Samantha Carter from SG-1, or Rush. And of course, being the tools they are, Carter is winning. According to them, she could have solved all of the problems on Destiny in two days.

That was the problem with SG-1 and Atlantis. It was silly adventure science, where the heroes can meet a new alien civilization, understand its technology, and still fight off another attack at the same time and wrap it all up neatly in one episode.

I think Rush is the most intelligent of the three, to be honest, simply because he seems real, and not deux ex machina. I like the interplay of the characters, even if i don't like them all. And i like the fact that they are actually a little bit in awe of the different things they see. In the episode where they sling shot around a planet, or go through the sun, they are all pretty much amazed by what they are seeing. In Atlantis, or SG-1, they see all sorts of neat shit and no one so much as stops to take a fucking picture.

Can you imagine your photo album, and how much cooler your slide shows would be than your neighbors trip to Florida, if you were aboard the Destiny?

That last episode was real dark. Rush's machine memories plus the four getting stranded, wtf.

Yeah, definitely did not see that coming. I expected him to get the code in the nick of time...and save them, not the opposite. I have to say I really like that again we don't get a neat happy ending with everything solved.

Archived