SG: U Spoilers

oneeye

I wonder what happens when and if Young's wife turns up pregnant from Young's sojurn in Telford's body?

They should just stop with the going back and forth to earth thing. I like the dynamics of the crew on the ship, and i don't think they need the crutch that is the stones any longer. This show is getting really good.

I liked how the stones got interrupted and the hot medic girl had to finish the surgery.

It looks like Daniel is going to guest star though so more stone action coming. That also means they might get more control of the ship with him there to figure things out which is not a bad thing.

It is a "hush, hush military thing", but as most such military things they get funding form different Senate Committees, and somewhere in SG:1 the US Government informed the other permanent members of the Security Council of the Stargate and the IOA was formed (that is the International Oversight Advisory). Wray is by accident the senior member of the IOA on Destiny, and is why she is struggling for power. You can read more about the IOA '>here.

The point we're making is that for this specific journey it isn't relevant at all, because they are still under orders from Stargate Command, and Young is the Senior officer at hand. That could change of course, if he were to say he tried to strand a member of the crew on an alien world, and the SGC ordered him to step down, but until that happens he is the designated leader of the crew.

Remember this is all re: your argument of: "Uhm....you do realize where the military gets its budget, right? Wray was right, western nations have armies controlled by civilians, not the other way around."

I've said before, and I'll say again, Young isn't 100% right in everything he does, but he is mostly right. The other options presented, Wray and Rush, seem to be on the wrong side a lot more of the time - that is why I am throwing my lot in with Young.

I don't see any other candidates, you mention Chloe later in your post; westeros.org listen up! I'm betting all my internet credibility (if I have some left) that if that happens, the show has officially jumped the shark and is no longer watchable! ;)

Looking back, I don't think the mutiny ep was very well thought through. Would all the civilians really do that, knowing that the military have the guns, and they are all stuck on the same ship? Must have been a hard sell to get them all on board (I am thinking) unless the animosity against Young and the military is much greater than what has been portrayed so far - and even at that, I don't see how they could grow to dislike him so much in such a short span of time.

It seemed at least like Chloe didn't know what they had done, and that the guys with the guns and the training, would try to stop them, from the scene where they have the medic chick and the no-name military guy who somehow gave up his gun locked up. Could be that it was just Chloe though, she is also the girl who walked towards the place where a piece of the bulkhead had just been cut open when they were under attack..

Final words on the ep: If I was that military guy stranded with them, with a gun, I would never have given it up. I would have said: "Stop this mutiny right now, I have 15 bullets, who is the first to die?"

I definitely agree with this. :)

I completely dislike Wray, don't get me wrong. But as far as i understand, she does have some authority, and within the context of the show the only reason that Young is in charge is because that is how they are used to doing it...under controlled circumstances...meaning that they have a McKay character to solve all of their problems in the nick of time. Side note, i find the character of Rush to be far more authentic than McKay ever was. I also find him to be a plausible, and possible, real life scientist as opposed to a sci-fi tv genius. As for Wray, considering the situation they are in, there is no sense to keeping the military firmly in control. Young is always ordering the civilians back to their rooms or dismissing them like he would his own men, and that doesn't sit well with civilians, any number of whom are probably in the highest 10 percent in terms of IQ.

As for Chloe, i think that perhaps the show is setting her up for something along these lines. I would not have thought so initially, as she was annoying and, to be honest, stupid (bulk head, beam of light, wandering towards it...yadda, yadda). But i saw some political gusto in her move to turn her back on her lover, but her friend. She felt strongly about something, and chose to operate with that knowledge. I can only imagine as a senators daughter that she watched her father take steps to support what he believed in, and she must have felt she was doing the same.

As for that guy with the handgun, he was powerless. All of those civilians would definitely have rebelled had the military started shooting, besides which the military doesn't know what the fuck they are doing with that ship. Eli has some knowledge, but he's still only one kid, and everyone else has worked to get that floating piece of crap into some semblance of order.

I went to some other forums, and the amount of bullshit from some people is retarded. Calling their action a mutiny, which would have implied that they were military, which they are not. While Young might currently have command, it is the lawful right of a soldier to disobey his commanding officers orders if he feels they breach a military code of conduct. For even his own soldiers to obey him, knowing that he tried to kill a civilian, and possibly the only man to get them home, seems a bit far fetched. So far TJ has been a model of restraint, but her little speech about war seemed completely off base from her character. And James clearly hit a man who was standing with his arms up, which is further abuse of power.

Also, side note: Wasn't Young cheating on his wife with TJ? It seems the man's career is punctuated by bad ideas.

Being former military, i find myself amazed that i am siding with the civilians. But i cannot agree with military abuse of authority, which i have seen several times.

The shit of it is, none of them are fit to command the crew. I read someone on another forum mention Eli, and i think thats a shit idea. He is clearly comprimised by his relationship with Young, which is completely at odds with how his character was portrayed at the beginning....namely that he wasn't all that keen on authority. I don't know, perhaps i'm remembering wrong.

Time to rewatch the season on my days off.

It looks like Daniel is going to guest star though so more stone action coming. That also means they might get more control of the ship with him there to figure things out which is not a bad thing.

I'm really interested in how they'll have Daniel interacting with Rush. Daniel has got to be the authority on all things Ancients and Stargate, right? How does Rush fit into this? How much do he and Daniel know each other (seeing as we'd never heard of Rush before SG:U, unlike Rodney who'd been previously introduced on the original show).

I'm really interested in how they'll have Daniel interacting with Rush. Daniel has got to be the authority on all things Ancients and Stargate, right? How does Rush fit into this? How much do he and Daniel know each other (seeing as we'd never heard of Rush before SG:U, unlike Rodney who'd been previously introduced on the original show).

I am a little nervous about that. The show doesn't need to be propped up by cast from the prior series.

I would imagine that Rush and everyone else are intimately familiar with the work of Daniel Jackson and the rest of SG-1, both for scientific and tactical reasons. I doubt that Daniel is terribly familiar with Rush. As the Stargate program grew, and extended to Area 51, and even off-world, the number of scientific personnel had to have grown exponentially. There are likely to be several Rush/Daniel/McKay types in the program, perhaps with expertiese in different areas of Ancient tech. Daniel would probably not have the time to be intimately familiar with all of them.

I wonder if Daniel can give Rush some counsel on how to work better with his military overlords. After all, if he was able to learn to work with a suicidal Jack O'Neal, then I would guess that Rush and Young can overcome their issues too, someday.

I also note that he did not deny keeping a stone for himself, nor did Young try to get it back yet...

Did Rush retrieve the stone from the blue Alien he beat up?

Regarding the leadership issue I'll present my thoughts in a couple questions.

What if the President was among those who escaped to Destiny? Then, as the democratically elected commander in chief there should be no question about leadership (lets consider any scientists of foreign citizenship on Destiny are ok with this).

What if the President was to get killed, or called away via the stones for indefinite periods? Then, if he/she had the foresight to set down a chain of command in his/her absence could we presume Young would follow that chain if he was not left in charge, and would the civilians accept it if he were given charge?

And I'm with Jaxom and Beniowa in hoping they resolve the leadership soon. Unless there's a cracker twist to it I'd be a little disappointed if it forms the basis of the remainder of the season.

ithanos,

Did Rush retrieve the stone from the blue Alien he beat up?

Regarding the leadership issue I'll present my thoughts in a couple questions.

What if the President was among those who escaped to Destiny? Then, as the democratically elected commander in chief there should be no question about leadership (lets consider any scientists of foreign citizenship on Destiny are ok with this).

What if the President was to get killed, or called away via the stones for indefinite periods? Then, if he/she had the foresight to set down a chain of command in his/her absence could we presume Young would follow that chain if he was not left in charge, and would the civilians accept it if he were given charge?

And I'm with Jaxom and Beniowa in hoping they resolve the leadership soon. Unless there's a cracker twist to it I'd be a little disappointed if it forms the basis of the remainder of the season.

There's nothing but Young's speculation to show Rush had a stone with him. In "Space" all the stones appeared to be in the case for the stones. If one of the stones were missing it would be pretty obvious. Young leaps to conclusions most of which have Rush engaged in something sinister. This is not to say Rush isn't rather Macheivellian, he is, however when Young only looks one direction for something going wrong it weakens him as a commander. In other words Young has some very serious issues.

ithanos,

There's nothing but Young's speculation to show Rush had a stone with him. In "Space" all the stones appeared to be in the case for the stones. If one of the stones were missing it would be pretty obvious. Young leaps to conclusions most of which have Rush engaged in something sinister. This is not to say Rush isn't rather Macheivellian, he is, however when Young only looks one direction for something going wrong it weakens him as a commander. In other words Young has some very serious issues.

Young is paralyzed by his paranoia, justified in many ways, of Rush. Young doesn't trust Rush, yet knows that Rush is smarter than him and knows alot more about the ship. Rush led them here with the Gate Dial and doesn't really desire to get them home, I think Young believes and understands this yet others have not. I think if the equation was just Wray and Young, we wouldn't see this tension. At the end of the last episode when Wray learns that Rush has an alien tracking device inside of him and that he knew of it, she is seeing a little bit why Young is so paranoid of him.

I'm disappointed so little happened during yesterday's episode. In the old stargate series they would have explored the solar system for anomalies, examined the pillar, used it to contact the aliens, befriended them after saving them from something and then have a debate about if the the humans deserve their advanced tech and help in a single episode. In SG:U, they stayed on the planet a whole month and didn't even visit the pillar. We got lots of shuttle landings, shots of trees, shots of a scientist snorting, someone shaving, Chloe swimming, shuttle repair segments, people playing cards and countless scenes of people eating.

Not to forget the now annoying emo montage of the week with trendy music that feels tacked on.

Despite this, I liked the episode. It served it purpose well, repairing some of last week's damage to the team and hopefully preparing them for an upcoming roller coaster ride.

TJ have been one of my favourite characters since the beginning and I'm ambivalent about the recent developments. I liked the focus on her, I love the additional layers on her character and I think they did it very well. While TJ is usually very bright on the screen, she looked older and felt used and tired this week, reminding me strongly of that poor early twenties mother trying to get by I babysat for as a teen. I can't help but be disappointed they chose this story device though. It endanger her role as the female action lead, opens the possibility of making her needy and clingy and we just don't need another Chloe.

Outside of the obvious 'who are the aliens and what is the pillar' and 'what will happen to TJ', this episode creates lots of questions:

- Why don't they organize a clothes trading pool instead of wearing the same thing over and over?

- Did Young easily give up on valuable scientists only to gain a numerical advantage on the ship? We don't really know how many persons are on the ship or how many stayed on the planet, so will it ever matter or they will just keep introducing new people as 'previously a background character'?

- Did they introduce Dr Caine in the previous episodes only to make us sympathize with him and the persons staying during this one or will they expend his role even further? If we hear about him again, will it be:

a ) limited to using the pillar as an antenna to give news or as a video footage explaining how everyone died?

b ) back on Earth where the crew will learn with the stones that the persons that stayed got back?

c ) will the story branch out to a point where we'll have a permanent base on that planet and frequent contacts with it?

d ) as an ambassador on the Destiny for the super aliens or on the alien ship for the humans?

e ) as a normal crew member after we learn they had to leave the planet (or got captured) and got back on the ship?

- Is Wray acting to get Eli on her side or are they really bonding? Wray could really mess up Eli depending on how far she is willing to go in a fake relationship.

I like how the show evolving and I'm wondering if we'll hop on a season story arc soon. I was sure the aliens in the previous episode would be that story arc, but we got away pretty easily.

Good episode. I can't say enough how much more authentic this show is than anything else in the Stargate franchise. And if there is a growing dynamic between Rush and Young, aside from hate, that would be interesting as well.

My only question is how stupid the scientists who stayed on the planet are. I mean, there is perhaps ten people. They have no idea about animals, or much of anything. And an alien race that can create planets and stars is unlikely to care enough that a couple of idiots stranded themselves on their science project. Personally, i think they are all dead.

I liked this one too. I'm interested to see where TJ's predicament is going to lead. It creates a nice tension for Scott given his backgound as someone who lost his parents at an early age and the fact that he has a child he is unlikely to ever really know given his circumstances. Some are speculating at a relationship between TJ and Scott. I really hope not. They've got a great Brother/sister vibe (non-Lannister) going on. I don't want them to lose that. I'm really curious to discover what Young's reaction is going to be.

I hope they don't lose the tension between Young and Rush. That said I do hope we get to see tension filled games of chess in future episodes.

I liked the part where they found the robot the best, even if it was just 10 seconds. I'm really hoping the spend a few episodes here and there reclaiming more and more of the ship, finding new tech that can help them. You have those kios or what they call them, but it would be cool if they found more - perhaps logs of other people who have been on the ship.

I hope they don't lose the tension between Young and Rush. That said I do hope we get to see tension filled games of chess in future episodes.

I really liked Rush's expression after Young says he understands Rush would have liked to meet the aliens to find someone as intellegent as him. Hes either thinking "OMG, Is that really what you think of me?" or "You comprehend so little, contemptible mortal of average intellegence." and I have no clue which.

I think Young was just making a well meaning joke, and Rush appreciated it. I wonder how long the truce will last.

I think the focus for SG has changed and they are making aliens more mysterious (and they definitely don't speak english anymore, or don't speak at all)

TJ being pregnant is kind of annoying but too late I guess.

Wray's role is still a little undefined.

I think Chloe needs to hook up with Eli :P

Anyone else think scott was chosen because he reminds one of Crichton?

Looks like Daniel time next episode.

I was just rewatching the first couple of episodes and remembered a few things, and noticed another. Rush has constantly taken abuse from the military, specifically Greer, and none of the command staff have done anything about it. Greer threatened to shoot Rush when he was working on the air controls, and on the desert planet he kicked and abused him. Is it any wonder that Rush mistrusts all of the military team?

Also, one of those craft that aliens had attached to the Destiny leaves the ship. Meaning that they had planned those aliens from at least this point, but it was interesting to see and catch on with what will happen later on.

Overall, I liked the latest episode. The new religion was kind of funny. At least I think it was meant to be comical, especially when the guy starts talking to Young. Comparing the people on the ship with the people on the planet, montages aren't that great, but it did what it was supposed to do pretty quickly. And I liked that the Stargate crew didn't automatically figure out the alien technology. I know they so often do, but it's nice to see acknowledgment that humans can't do everything sometimes, and that something made by people who created a solar system might take longer than a month to figure out. The one thing I wish had been a little different is that we'd had a little more warning about TJ's pregnancy. I wonder if they only decided to do that during the break?

I liked the part where they found the robot the best, even if it was just 10 seconds. I'm really hoping the spend a few episodes here and there reclaiming more and more of the ship, finding new tech that can help them. You have those kios or what they call them, but it would be cool if they found more - perhaps logs of other people who have been on the ship.

I liked that too, I'm hoping they continue to explore/repair the ship. It would bring back a bit of the exploration aspect that the original series had, except not instead of planets it's the inside of a ship. I'm glad the second half of the season picked up b/c tbh, that first half was uneventful garbage imo.

Archived