SG: U Spoilers

oneeye

Sorry was adding spoiler tags occasionally when I posted right after an episode, in case someone came to discuss the episode before that still.

I am guessing Telford is history since now Young and TJ are having a baby together anyway, the wife might be written out too.

Those stone transfer episodes creep me out for some reason still. That last episode combined a lot, stones, rush background, the lost ones returning, the aliens returning, was a bit much, yet little.

In the preview for season 1.5 Telford appears. He has a bloody nose and annouces, obviously in some pain "They're coming... They're coming to take Destiny"

Therefore, I don't think we've seen the last of Telford.

SLightly tangential to your comment, but I can't help but notice that I keep seeing Daniel Jackson in some Destiny commercials. It is most certainly not any image from the episode we've already had him in.

Hmm well the two of them back wouldn't be bad, interesting!

Sounds like a cliff hanger coming up too possibly.

Not bad episode with all the hallucinations, got to know the characters some more, and I almost liked Ming Na. Bit of a filler though.

Looks like 3 guest stars next episode though, Telford, jackson and oneil!

Last night was weird. And we're still gonna just forget about how the three got back and no one talked about it, huh? Though the idea that James cannot/has not dealt with the end of her relationship with Scott, that's good story potential...

And seriously, how big is Destiny? Are we talking Super Star Destroyer here or what? Exterior shots just do not give the sense that this ship is so big that any of it should remain unexplored (unless the area is open to space)...

Last night was weird. And we're still gonna just forget about how the three got back and no one talked about it, huh? Though the idea that James cannot/has not dealt with the end of her relationship with Scott, that's good story potential...

And seriously, how big is Destiny? Are we talking Super Star Destroyer here or what? Exterior shots just do not give the sense that this ship is so big that any of it should remain unexplored (unless the area is open to space)...

I was just going "no James NO. You're too good for him!" the whole time. Interesting stuff with Greer too.

My impression is that destiny is enormous, like kilometers long, possibly, and that huge chunks of it are without life support, if not exactly open to space and that they've never been there.

My impression is that destiny is enormous, like kilometers long, possibly, and that huge chunks of it are without life support, if not exactly open to space and that they've never been there.

I thought that was how it was supposed to be as well...but that's one of the great failures of this show, that the impression on the size of the ship just doesn't come across properly...

I thought that was how it was supposed to be as well...but that's one of the great failures of this show, that the impression on the size of the ship just doesn't come across properly...

yeah, its not really clear how large the area that they do occupy is either, but like with the crew numbers, I think this is something the writers are loath to tie themselves into.

It seems like the bugs hit on the strongest emotional difficulty each victim was dealing with. Greer's suspision about Rush and Wray (what the heck is between the two of them anyway), Scott's guilt about his son, James difficulty losing Scott, Chloe's grief over her father's death, Rush's trauma over being captured and "examined". Had Young been bitten I imagine his would have been his divided heart. I'd like to know what the bugs got out of the hallucinations they provoke.

It seems like the bugs hit on the strongest emotional difficulty each victim was dealing with. Greer's suspision about Rush and Wray (what the heck is between the two of them anyway), Scott's guilt about his son, James difficulty losing Scott, Chloe's grief over her father's death, Rush's trauma over being captured and "examined". Had Young been bitten I imagine his would have been his divided heart. I'd like to know what the bugs got out of the hallucinations they provoke.

What do you mean? Their the leaders of the civilians on board, but it isn't as if there is more to it than that. Though I was expecting that the talk Rush wanted to have with Wray was going to be about what almost happened while her body was being borrowed...

I'd like to know what the bugs got out of the hallucinations they provoke.

I was wondering that. I think its just that they keep the subject from pulling them off right away. Chloe gets her father telling her that it shes living his dream, Jaime gets to confront Scott for dumping her, Greer to play out his paranoia, even Rush who isn't the type to go talk to anyone about the kidnapping trauma can work it out this way. I suppose the more obvious route would have been to just have really nice, happy halucinations, but this is more interesting as a character study.

This theory is completely undermined by the snake guy, of course.

ETA - Greer and Wray had some weird animosity that was never adequately explained right from day one. I suppose it might just be Greers general distrust of civilian bureucrat types, but it seems more personal than that, on Wrays side too. (IIRC, Greer was locked up for something at the beginning. Did we ever find out what?)

Jaxom,

What do you mean? Their the leaders of the civilians on board, but it isn't as if there is more to it than that. Though I was expecting that the talk Rush wanted to have with Wray was going to be about what almost happened while her body was being borrowed...

I ment Greer and Wray. She's been weird with him from the pilot, "You're supposed to be in the brig." Then she suspects him of killing the depressed Marine in "Justice" and removes him from the away team roster. There's more between Greer and Wray than just the mutiny.

Jaxom,

I ment Greer and Wray. She's been weird with him from the pilot, "You're supposed to be in the brig." Then she suspects him of killing the depressed Marine in "Justice" and removes him from the away team roster. There's more between Greer and Wray than just the mutiny.

Ah. Well, Wray is the HR person. Doesn't explain why she'd be involved with the military in that respect, unless Greer's actions that got him locked up had something to do with a civilian.

And I didn't realize until last night that Greer was a Marine. Since it's the Air Force that runs the Stargate program I'd always assumed that the "action guys" were air force too. I mean, Marines tend to hang with the Navy, not the Air Force. :P

And I didn't realize until last night that Greer was a Marine. Since it's the Air Force that runs the Stargate program I'd always assumed that the "action guys" were air force too. I mean, Marines tend to hang with the Navy, not the Air Force. :P

It's kind of a weird Stargate thing. The Air Force runs the program for the most part, but there's a considerable number of Marines involved as well, at the SGC but especially at off world bases and at Atlantis. If I recall correctly, most of the military personnel on Atlantis are Marines, with the exception Sheppard, Lorne, and the guys on the ship. Since Icarus was an off world base, it makes sense that there would be a lot of Marines around.

Also, there was an amusing little joke in one of the direct to DVD movies about how in an alternate universe the Navy had control of the program, and all the Air Force officers acted extremely affronted.

Edit: grammar fail

This was a total filler ep.

Even the small bits of character development we got in this episode could have been done in a proper plot episode. Worst of the season, for me.

This was a total filler ep.

Even the small bits of character development we got in this episode could have been done in a proper plot episode. Worst of the season, for me.

I emailed almost exactly this same post to my brother last night after watching the episode. What a let down after the past several weeks. :(

I'd like to know what the bugs got out of the hallucinations they provoke.

If I remember the episide Dr. Volker theorized that the bugs targeted the limbic system. When we are in heightened states of emotions our bodies will produce more of certain chemicals, like adrenline, serotonin (sp?), or dopamine (sp?). My guess is the bugs wanted an excited state to get at a chemical like that. Fear is a strong emotional motivator and promotes a strong psyological reaction; Love does as well.

ETA: I disagree that this was a filler episode. I think it was an interesting and decent character driven piece. It also serves to continue to feed into the atmosphere that the show has been building.

I think the ship is huge and they will keep discovering parts kind of like Atlantis over the next few seasons. I would rather they had a running ship voyager style though honestly.

I think Rush wanted to discuss kissing Wray while she was away, part of the new softer Rush.

ETA: I disagree that this was a filler episode. I think it was an interesting and decent character driven piece. It also serves to continue to feed into the atmosphere that the show has been building.

Maybe. It felt clunky in it's execution though. And it lacked enough references (though I know there were a couple) to anchor it to the story overall. I won't call it filler. But I won't call it a home run of an episode either.

I think the ship is huge and they will keep discovering parts kind of like Atlantis over the next few seasons. I would rather they had a running ship voyager style though honestly.

They need to reference this more and better then. We see only the parts that the crew is living in for the most part right now. There also appears to be a lot of downtime between gates and/or galaxies. There was something there with the one montage in that goofy mystery planet epsiode that resulted in a robot that made little sense in general (especially once it was used), but what's being done to explore more? They do not give a sense that this ship is nearly as big as it's supposed to be.

Archived