NFL Thread - Conference Championship Round

Mack Kilimaro

Somebody slap Fox for all the Kim Kardashian shots.

Sidenote: As a guy, I don't normally pay attention to these things, but it occurred to me today that Reggie is way sexier than Kim is.

I'm psyched to see New Orleans advance.

Honestly, unless you still have a horse in the race, how could you not?

I mean, with the history (recent and distant) and the fact that they have like, one dick* on their team, you have to root for these guys, ya know?

*And I still mancrush Shockey, regardless.

ETA: I can't even imagine Falcons fans not rooting for them at this point.

This game is all defense so far. Intense. Ravens are really buckling down vs. Manning, which is heartening. But the Colts are looking at least as good on D tonight, too.

Man, makes my stomach all nervous. Tension, without any release (one way or the other).

Not surprised by either game so far.

Manning is doing great; the Colts O line is completely dominant- the Ravens are not anywhere near Manning. And also, the Ravens contonue to cheat mercilessly. And the Ravens O looks horrid.

The Saints just stepped up and demanded to be called the team to beat in the playoffs. It was an incredible game and the Saints are wanting this one bad. I really hope they can carry this through to the end for the simple reason that every other team in the playoffs I loathe.

Watching that first half makes me feel stupid for willingly picking the team with Joe Flacco over the team with Peyton Manning. I mean when Ray Rice is your only real dynamic offensive weapon he can be taken out by a well schemed defense which is what has happened. Now it's up to Flacco to lead the comeback and I don't think he'll be able to. Not to entirely blame him...the Ravens just need more weapons on offense.

BTW, really liked how the Colts tried for the end zone twice with 10 seconds and no timeouts left. I mean if you can't trust Peyton Manning in that situation, who can you trust? So many teams would be risk averse to a fault and just settle for the field goal, whereas the Colts got a TD out of it. Smartest thing they ever did was put a mannequin in as coach and then just let Manning do his thing.

BTW, really liked how the Colts tried for the end zone twice with 10 seconds and no timeouts left. I mean if you can't trust Peyton Manning in that situation, who can you trust? So many teams would be risk averse to a fault and just settle for the field goal, whereas the Colts got a TD out of it. Smartest thing they ever did was put a mannequin in as coach and then just let Manning do his thing.

When, and if, he ever hangs up the spikes, what's Peyton Manning do with the rest of his life? Play golf? Make commercials (seriously, the new one I saw tonight with the one broadcaster breaking cement blocks was great)? Does he coach? Could he coach? Go into the front office? I'nm going to be fascinated to watch this later on down the road...

By the by: There's nothing like trying to explain football to your two day old son while he lays on your chest...gotta start them early!

When, and if, he ever hangs up the spikes, what's Peyton Manning do with the rest of his life? Play golf? Make commercials (seriously, the new one I saw tonight with the one broadcaster breaking cement blocks was great)? Does he coach? Could he coach? Go into the front office? I'nm going to be fascinated to watch this later on down the road...

He probably becomes a genial announcer/pitchman. Maybe he boots one of the non-genial QBs off the studio show: either Marino or Esiason. Though I don't know if that satisfies his competitive urge. He could definitely go into coaching if he wanted to, the man's a football encyclopedia, but I'm not sure he'd have the patience to deal with lesser talents.

By the by: There's nothing like trying to explain football to your two day old son while he lays on your chest...gotta start them early!

Many congrats, Jaxom!

Hmmmm.... well, so much for the theory that tanking the last couple weeks of the season makes you rusty. The Saints and the Colts seem to be doing just fine after either not playing, or playing like sh*t for a month. The Cards did indeed look spent as JJ said at the half.

When, and if, he ever hangs up the spikes, what's Peyton Manning do with the rest of his life?

Whatever he wants. Governor of Indiana? He could commentate and be 10,000 times better than these two CBS hacks. Sometimes, I wonder if Dierdorf is even watching the game.

It was beautiful to see the Saints get their mojo back.

One question for the more knowledgeable - is Flacco considered a "good" QB? He's obviously not as good as Peyton Manning, but it seems like his receivers are more the problem in the Ravens-Colts game than his passes.

EDIT: Bloody Ravens! They finally get a good run, and then it's fumbled (naturally, the Colts get it).

One question for the more knowledgeable - is Flacco considered a "good" QB? He's obviously not as good as Peyton Manning, but it seems like his receivers are more the problem in the Ravens-Colts game than his passes.

In my view, he's seen as solid. Not spectacular, not a guy you fear...but a middle of the road type QB who can get the job done if given adequate support. He had a very strong season as a rookie last year, though this year, it appears he's taken a small step back, though it's possible that's due to lingering injuries. I think this game has highlighted how few weapons Flacco has had to work with. Not many guys that can consistently win their one on one matchups.

I also want to say, I don't see the Colts receivers getting that much separation today, or really all season. I think reason #924 why Peyton Manning is great is he doesn't need guys like Collie and Garcon to get wide open..he just needs a step. But really this Colts team doesn't strike me as explosive for that reason. It's really a team of grinders made successful by Manning. I also think the Colts defense is better this year than in years past. They've finally started going with bigger DTs and I think it's made them much more solid against the run. And finally mixing up the defensive schemes instead of just doing the predictable Cover 2 every single damn play, I think, makes them much tougher to scheme against. I don't think the Colts defense of years past could go toe to toe with a physical offense like the Ravens and hold them down so thoroughly.

Again, Ravens? Another strategically bad turnover, although this time it was Flacco's fault - his receiver had some serious coverage.

I'm divided on which I hate more - those irritating "Denise" Taco Bell commercials, or those irritating Southwest "bags" commercials.

I'm divided on which I hate more - those irritating "Denise" Taco Bell commercials, or those irritating Southwest "bags" commercials.

This is a no-brainer. Those Southwest commercials, I don't know if they're trying to be funny or what, but they make me want to stab someone.

Meanwhile, Denise is hot.

The Ravens looked as bad this week as they looked good last week. They were awful. Turnovers, gave up big plays, never got anything together. The Colts looked great; Manning played an amazing game; the team hustled and made plays. That team is dangerous.

The Ravens looked as bad this week as they looked good last week. They were awful. Turnovers, gave up big plays, never got anything together. The Colts looked great; Manning played an amazing game; the team hustled and made plays. That team is dangerous.

It was definitely some shitty offensive work by the Ravens most of the game. I mean, it's not as if the Colts have some amazing defense to excuse it.

So many bad turnovers, so many stupid penalties. I think they lost the game mentally long before they were out of it in terms of score vs. time left on the clock.

This is what I posted 6 days ago.

For Colts/Ravens the popular pick is going to be Ravens in the upset. I think the Colts will show up with some fire and pull it through. Momentum is overrated, just ask the Cards.

And I was right, people overrated what they did against the Patriots and tried to apply that to the Colts.

Bill Simmons covered it somewhat in his weekly post/podcasts this week as well. Too many times after the first weekend fans overreact on a good performance by a wild card round team. Add in there that the Colts sitting starters and losing the last two how they did didn't sit well with people and I think they were eager to pick the Ravens.

I think people make better picks when they actually analyze the matchups rather then go off of momentum as a way to decide things. History has shown that the "hot" team has rarely won the Super Bowl or even gotten there.

Funny enough there were some parallels between the Saints/Cards game today and the Pats/Baltimore one last week. Both started with a huge run play on the first play. But NO then went and scored and took the momentum back. The Pats imploded as Brady played a historically bad game. If you looked at the stats last week, after that one 80 yard run Baltimore barely got any yards the rest of the day.

It is amusing how many people here were suckered into picking the Ravens after last week. The Patriots imploded that game should have been what people took away, not that Baltimore was really playing well.

Even though I picked wrong, I'm still not terribly impressed with the Colts, and that was my reasoning for picking against them in the first place. The Ravens really killed themselves and that kept this from being a more interesting game, but the Colts and Manning were not quite perfect.

Also, from what I saw on ESPN's polls the popular upset pick of the week is the Cowboys

Archived