NFL Thread - Conference Championship Round

Mack Kilimaro

Well, Colts offense versus Jets defense should be fascinating at least. Jets Defense really earned it today.

And Rex Ryan versus Jim Caldwell in a trash-talking competition will be assuredly great too.

Not sure what it is with Kaeding and the Jets. That's now both playoff games he's cost them against the Jets. It's like they have a little voodoo doll of him.

Manning vs Sanchize, has there ever been a bigger QB mismatch (May be Rexy vs Manning? @ the SB)?

Think that would be the only comparable.

Well its what I feared might happen. I thought that SD would have enough to pull it out. Was sure it would be close, but the Chargers just made a few too many mistakes. For the most part the Jets defense was as advertised. They shut down the pass other then the one drive and the one big play to Jackson. The Jets ran the ball and the Chargers couldn't stop them. It should be very interesting next week with Colts vs Jets round 2.

I think it's the nature of the Jets defense. I mean, think about it. Rex Ryan sends pressure from just about every place on the field. As a result, QBs have to make quick decisions and generally, who would they throw to? Their number one option as that's where the trust is. Not to mention that Lito, Lowry and Rhodes are all playing well.

In places like Oakland, teams can avoid Aso because they aren't getting a ton of pressure on the QB so QBs have time to pick a part the rest of the secondary.

As for Bailey, the rest of the Denver secondary isn't very good so...

Also from what I read, Aso stays on his side of the field so the number 1 WR can follow avoid him. Revis is consistently put on the number 1 receiver (unless they are playing a zone or zone blitz).

Big win. And Revis is incredible.

Also, I think Rockroi has finally won me over with his raging boner of hatred for LDT. The guy never comes up big when it matters, it seems like.

Well at least I am good for something.

Without a doubt, the Chargers were, once again, the Chargers- a team of huge talent that everyone picks every year to do huge things AND THEY HAVE NEVER WON ANYTHING! Its not Marty, its not injuries, its not bad luck, ITS a culture of entitlement that breeds complacency. The Jets came into SD, slammed the crap out of them and after that the Chargers were frustrated (kicking the challenge flag), dropping passes, stopped running completely, missing FG, and then Riovers goes 2 for 2 on Interceptions- BALL GAME. You cannot give those types of plays, make those types of mistakes and expect to beat such a hard-nosed team. The Chargers may be many things, but mentally tough has NEVER been one of them (except Rivers in the 2007 AFC Championship game. He was a stud that day). They have never matured, never rising to the occasion, never "got the job done." From missing GIMMIE FGs to high snaps, they crumbled.

Sanchez played fine. He almost gave the game away with a costly INT, but here the D bailed him out. He then threw a bullet TD and that was game. I think its critical to understand one thing- as long as the D plays like this, the Jets NEVER have to give the ball to Sanchez and say to him "You have to win this for us." If it comes to that, I have my doubts, but if its a day like this... J-E-T-S, Jets Jets Jets. (I am crying on the inside).

Well the Colts made 'em, now the Colts get to deal with them. And the Colts running game is even worse than the Chargers. Should be interesting.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

Colts rushing game is actually better then the Chargers. Not by a whole lot, but it is. Especially inside the red zone. The one thing that was open for the Chargers today was the underneath pass, which Manning does very well with. So it should be an interesting matchup, but I think the Colts like this much more then they would have liked facing the Chargers.

And this is amusing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate_Kaeding

He has consistently been the least clutch kicker in the playoffs and is hated by nearly all Charger fans. We hate you Nate, you've screwed us again.

Currently Dog the Bounty Hunter and company have a bounty on his head by every Chargers fan in San Diego.

I think its critical to understand one thing- as long as the D plays like this, the Jets NEVER have to give the ball to Sanchez and say to him "You have to win this for us." If it comes to that, I have my doubts, but if its a day like this... J-E-T-S, Jets Jets Jets. (I am crying on the inside).

That was my point about Sanchez when we were debating how good he is/will be. He is like a better Trent Dilfer with the Ravens. As long as he manages the game and can occasionally move the chains with 6-7 yard passes he will be OK for the Jets. Last week he had the Deep TD that Edwards dropped that shows he can be more. But tonight he had Wallace Wright wide open down the sideline that he waited a little too long to throw and was hit as he threw and the ball didn't reach him. It wouldn't have mattered because Wright stepped out of bounds, but I think give him a year or two and he throws that ball a second earlier and it's a TD (if your receiver doesn't step out of bounds).

What a crap game for a Chargers fan. Maybe it was good for football fans vs the 3 other blowouts, but damn that was horrible and ugly performance all around.

As I saw it, the blame in order:

Kaeding, (duh)

Stupid penalties that should make the Ravens feel better about themselves

Turner's conservative play calling through most of the game

The 1 Rivers Int (not the Revis play)

Chargers were playing as if they were in control with a comfortable lead when that was never the case.

Without a doubt, the Chargers were, once again, the Chargers- a team of huge talent that everyone picks every year to do huge things AND THEY HAVE NEVER WON ANYTHING! Its not Marty, its not injuries, its not bad luck, ITS a culture of entitlement that breeds complacency. The Jets came into SD, slammed the crap out of them and after that the Chargers were frustrated (kicking the challenge flag), dropping passes, stopped running completely, missing FG, and then Riovers goes 2 for 2 on Interceptions- BALL GAME. You cannot give those types of plays, make those types of mistakes and expect to beat such a hard-nosed team. The Chargers may be many things, but mentally tough has NEVER been one of them (except Rivers in the 2007 AFC Championship game. He was a stud that day). They have never matured, never rising to the occasion, never "got the job done." From missing GIMMIE FGs to high snaps, they crumbled.

I know you have this huge animosity towards the Chargers, which is a little weird since they pretty much always choke against the Pats - really you should be thanking them for that gift of game back in the 2006 playoffs, that looked an awful lot like this one. If you were a Colts fan I might understand it better.

Personally, I didn't expect the Chargers to do nearly so well this year. I also don't remember hearing "everyone pick them to do big things" It was a nice surprise how strong they finished out the year despite how bad their running game is/was. That doesn't make today any better. I still think they are far less of a disappointment than the Patriots have been over the last five years. Talk about a team that is over-hyped year in and year out, and happens to own the all time greatest choke in NFL history.

All teams are nothing until they win it all. The Colts were nothing, the Cards, Saints, Chargers and Vikings are all still nothing.

Certain poetic justice in the Chargers loss. I always thought Marty Schottenheimer got the shaft.

Then again, Wade Phillips may get the shaft as well. Jerry Jones didn't give him a vote of confidence after the game, saying they would meet this week to discuss the furure. Technically, his contract is up so he has to sign an extension. So adding a new head coach technically wouldn't be firing Wade...

yeah right. It would be firing a coach that just won his first playoff game. I'm torn. On one side, you would be firing the coach that won your your first playoff game since 1996.

OTOH, this team HAS underachieved the last 3 years. There are no doubt better head coaches you could hire. Wade is a Hell of a defensice coordinator but not a great head coach. The debacle last year is proof of that.

Verdict? Go get Bill Cowher. :ohwell:

I know you have this huge animosity towards the Chargers, which is a little weird since they pretty much always choke against the Pats

My "animosity" is with the overrating everyone does of the Chargers every season. Just so they can lose it in the end. And by "chock" if you mean "get completely outplayed by" than, yeah I can understand you Pats-Chargers issue.

- really you should be thanking them for that gift of game back in the 2006 playoffs, that looked an awful lot like this one.

I agree the two games had a lot of similarities, but in neither game did you "give" it away; you got outplayed both times and were out-gutted by the more physical team. Its not a coincidence. Its the Chargers in a nut-shell. I really thought this was their year because they put so much on their best player- Rivers -and he looked like he could handle it. Right up until that second INT. That was when you knew the Charegsr were not going to win because really good teams don't make those types of mistakes, especially from the guy who was supposed to win it all for you.

If you were a Colts fan I might understand it better.

Bite your tongue.

Archived