NFL Thread - Conference Championship Round

Mack Kilimaro

My "animosity" is with the overrating everyone does of the Chargers every season. Just so they can lose it in the end. And by "chock" if you mean "get completely outplayed by" than, yeah I can understand you Pats-Chargers issue.

I agree the two games had a lot of similarities, but in neither game did you "give" it away; you got outplayed both times and were out-gutted by the more physical team. Its not a coincidence. Its the Chargers in a nut-shell. I really thought this was their year because they put so much on their best player- Rivers -and he looked like he could handle it. Right up until that second INT. That was when you knew the Charegsr were not going to win because really good teams don't make those types of mistakes, especially from the guy who was supposed to win it all for you.

They almost completely gave away both games in question. By default, that means they were outplayed, but they most definitely beat themselves. I've heard that same remark on Patriot losses (and other teams). It is different that only being "outplayed" which I will concede all of the other Chargers losses were to better Patriot teams. Yes, it's kind of a snub and it's a little snide, but you won't convince me of otherwise. Just like any fan won't when they see their favored team lose to a perceived lesser team due to poor play. Much different than being "clearly outplayed". Also, the Chargers should have been able to overcome that one Rivers pic, and they actually would have with 2 easy FGs.

I still don't get the overrating comment. I don't know, maybe I don't pay as close attention to sports commentators as you do. I can only say that locally, the people I know have been pretty skeptical on the Chargers, and don't trust the ownership. I honestly thought they overachieved a bit this year and expected more like a 10-6 or 11-5 season.

Anyway, Go Saints! Hopefully, Brees left all of the bad Chargers mojo in SD

Certain poetic justice in the Chargers loss. I always thought Marty Schottenheimer got the shaft.

Then again, Wade Phillips may get the shaft as well. Jerry Jones didn't give him a vote of confidence after the game, saying they would meet this week to discuss the furure. Technically, his contract is up so he has to sign an extension. So adding a new head coach technically wouldn't be firing Wade...

yeah right. It would be firing a coach that just won his first playoff game. I'm torn. On one side, you would be firing the coach that won your your first playoff game since 1996.

OTOH, this team HAS underachieved the last 3 years. There are no doubt better head coaches you could hire. Wade is a Hell of a defensice coordinator but not a great head coach. The debacle last year is proof of that.

Verdict? Go get Bill Cowher. :ohwell:

I thought so too about Marty, but he's had the horrible stigma of not being able to coach a team all the way. It probably was mostly his fault they lost that last playoff game, but I agree that he got the shaft.

Phillips has similar troubles. He hasn't had a team fail quite as badly as Marty did, but he also hasn't brought a team to the Superbowl either.

I've been saying it for a long time. Defense and a strong running game will win you games, especially in the playoffs. Every year, it seems that there are some really strong passing offenses that tend to dominate the regular season then when they get into the playoffs, they get beat by physical teams with a strong defense and running game. Now, I didn't think it would be the Jets that proved my point (obviously thought the Bengals) but still...

I think the Jets can beat Indy (though I don't think they well...Peyton is too good) and possibly a team like NO, but I do not think they can beat Minnesota. They don't match up well against them.

At the end of the day, defense wins championships.

ETA: What is it with the Jets and opposing field goal kickers? Graham missed 2 easy field goals and now Kaeding has missed 2 easy field goals. That's insane.

I've been saying it for a long time. Defense and a strong running game will win you games, especially in the playoffs. Every year, it seems that there are some really strong passing offenses that tend to dominate the regular season then when they get into the playoffs, they get beat by physical teams with a strong defense and running game. Now, I didn't think it would be the Jets that proved my point (obviously thought the Bengals) but still...

:huh:

One team with a predominately running offense makes it through and it proves your point? Only one of the top five rushers of the postseason is still playing, Rice is the second leading rusher and the Ravens (a physical, rushing, defense oriented team) was handled by a team that totaled 42 yards rushing on 25 attempts.

Three of the top six QBs in the league are still playing. NO ran a fair bit, but was still pass-oriented. Peterson did very little against Dallas. Does Indy even have a running back, or do they just use six people on the line?

I love run-oriented, defense-minded team. That's why I've loved the Steelers for my entire life. But passing and defense has been winning more often than rushing and defense.

At the end of the day, defense wins championships.

:agree: This, 100%.

:huh:

One team with a predominately running offense makes it through and it proves your point? Only one of the top five rushers of the postseason is still playing, Rice is the second leading rusher and the Ravens (a physical, rushing, defense oriented team) was handled by a team that totaled 42 yards rushing on 25 attempts.

Three of the top six QBs in the league are still playing. NO ran a fair bit, but was still pass-oriented. Peterson did very little against Dallas. Does Indy even have a running back, or do they just use six people on the line?

I love run-oriented, defense-minded team. That's why I've loved the Steelers for my entire life. But passing and defense has been winning more often than rushing and defense.

Fair enough.

Anyway, just makes me feel like the status quo is still the way it should be when a team that's predicated around the run and defense moves on against high powered offenses.

This year's playoffs are almost enough to turn me off of the NFL. Almost.

I can't decide which team to root for (or root against least) in the AFC Championship game.

Wait? Why? Because there's not Patriots? It's Indy, Peyton and the Jets? Brett's actually living up to and beyond expectations this year? While part of me would have liked to see a little better play, almost every game has been entertaining and worth it.

Wait? Why? Because there's not Patriots? It's Indy, Peyton and the Jets? Brett's actually living up to and beyond expectations this year? While part of me would have liked to see a little better play, almost every game has been entertaining and worth it.

Oh, I reconciled myself to the Pats' fate a while ago. It's because I can't stand three of the four teams left standing right now. Because I had to root for LaBabyan and his Chargers against the fucking Jets and they couldn't seal the deal.

Also because it sucks to see that the Patriots and Colts have traded places from the positions they were in five years ago.

Oh, I reconciled myself to the Pats' fate a while ago. It's because I can't stand three of the four teams left standing right now. Because I had to root for LaBabyan and his Chargers against the fucking Jets and they couldn't seal the deal.

Seriously. It's like the Jets rate in higher on the hated-teams-scale, but it's like pulling teeth to want the Chargers to win. Colts-Jets, I just hope both teams collapse in flames, allowing an easy Saints victory in the SB...cause I hate the Vikes too.

I swear I don't really hate that many NFL teams (Jets, Chargers, Colts, Vikings, Cowboys, Ravens), and somehow they've all ended up going far! Boo. Boooooo.

Huh, I'm pretty happy with the playoffs this year, aside from the Eagles implosion. The Jets are the only team in the final four that I hate. Would love to see the Vikings win, I've liked them since the Tarkenton era. Wouldn't mind seeing the Saints win, Brees is a good guy and Nawlins could use it.

And I'd like to see the Colts and in particular Manning win a second SB, especially with a new coach at the helm. Definitely takes the "is it the coach or the QB" question out of play.

I think these games come down to coaching. Dallas and the Chargers coaches both made some key mistakes. Early in the game, the Cowboys were moving the ball and getting into Viking's territory. They had a forth and short, Wade could have went for it, they were running the ball right at them and doing damage; instead Wade opted for the long FG and missed. This gave the ball to the Vikings with good feild position, they moved the ball down the field and scored a TD. The Vikings did not look back.

Everybody was saying that the Chargers had too many weapons for the Jets and they should be able to move the ball. Early in the game they were getting the ball to Gates, and they were moving the ball. A missed FG and high snap stopped the Chargers; however, they did not stop getting the ball to Gates. On their first TD drive, Gates got the ball several times and the Jets could not cover him in their regular pass defense. The Jets had to adjust their pass coverage and made a mistake and let the Charger WR open for the games first TD. After that, Gates did not get the ball thrown his way till near the end of the game when the Chargers were behind. Too little and too late. The Chargers were also undisciplined and sloppy in their play and execution on both sides of the ball. Norm got away from what was working, and tried to use their WR and LT while not getting the ball to their most dangerous weapon Sproles(only 3 rushes and 3 passes too him) at all and forgot about Gates. Revis and the other Jets DBs were dong a great job in covering the WRs, they should have went away from them and attacked the LBs covering Gates and Sproles.

In other news, Nolan has left the Broncos. McDaniels issued a statement that it was a mutual parting of ways...but does anyone believe that? Let's be frank, Nolan's defense was the best thing about Denver. And this was a team that was awful at defense before he got there. Looks like for the second straight year, McDaniels has run the thing that Denver does best out of town. Not sure what's going on there, but it doesn't look good.

There's also a rumor that McDaniels is going to replace him with Dean Pees, the Defensive Coordinator on the 2007 Patriots team. I think he's just pissed off at Kansas City's establishment of Patriots West and is now seeking to turn Denver into Patriots Far West. Except a BenJarvus Green Ellis in the next few days.

Also for Bluray, looks like the Bills are getting Chan Gailey as their next head coach.

I thought so too about Marty, but he's had the horrible stigma of not being able to coach a team all the way. It probably was mostly his fault they lost that last playoff game, but I agree that he got the shaft.

Phillips has similar troubles. He hasn't had a team fail quite as badly as Marty did, but he also hasn't brought a team to the Superbowl either.

Marty's son is on the Jets coaching staff (i think he is the DC), you know he loved rubbing in their faces, and Marty had a good laugh over the Chargers losing.

In other news, Nolan has left the Broncos. McDaniels issued a statement that it was a mutual parting of ways...but does anyone believe that? Let's be frank, Nolan's defense was the best thing about Denver. And this was a team that was awful at defense before he got there. Looks like for the second straight year, McDaniels has run the thing that Denver does best out of town. Not sure what's going on there, but it doesn't look good.

There's also a rumor that McDaniels is going to replace him with Dean Pees, the Defensive Coordinator on the 2007 Patriots team. I think he's just pissed off at Kansas City's establishment of Patriots West and is now seeking to turn Denver into Patriots Far West. Except a BenJarvus Green Ellis in the next few days.

Also for Bluray, looks like the Bills are getting Chan Gailey as their next head coach.

Saw this, and I think McD has fucked up again, tbh. This team is gonna struggle next year.

Re: the Bills news, thanks for bringing it to my attention... I am underwhelmed. Dunno that Chan Gailey is really what we're looking for.

Finally, I picked the Jets both of the past two weeks and they came through for me; I'm picking the Colts and the Saints this week, though.

Reiss (Boston ESPN) is reporting that Dean Pees is about to sign with Denver and the Seahawks have agreed with Packers executive John Schneider to become their new GM. So one would think that Dean Pees health is fine and he just might have been fired from New England. :dunno:

Marty's son is on the Jets coaching staff (i think he is the DC), you know he loved rubbing in their faces, and Marty had a good laugh over the Chargers losing.

He's offensive coordinator. He basically turned down the Bills job because he is having fun with the Jets and likes the young players. I think he just didn't want to go to the Bills and see what opens up next year.

He's offensive coordinator. He basically turned down the Bills job because he is having fun with the Jets and likes the young players. I think he just didn't want to go to the Bills and see what opens up next year.

Thanks, I knew he was on the staff, and for some odd reason, I thought that somebody with Marty's bloodline would be a coach on the defense :D .

Archived