Son of US Politics

Inigima

They're reporting that Obama is going to propose a spending freeze on discretionary spending:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/25/AR2010012501737.html

My thoughts:

Holy shit, it's 1993 all over again!

Health care reform has failed, and the right is on the rise. Republicans will go crazy, do something stupid like shutdown gov't after winning big at the midterms, Obama will out-politic them in the way that a matador outsmarts a charging bill and then move to the center. I wonder what his welfare reform will be? And once he realizes he's become B. Clinton, he'll figure out the key to his second term is not to cheat on his wife.

If you read it, there's a few key lines in the idea:

The cuts would target "duplicative," "ineffective" and "inefficient" spending withing government, the official said on a conference call with reporters.

"This is not a blunt, across-the-board freeze," the official said, adding that some agencies will see spending increases while some will see spending cuts as the total remains constant.

So, basically, he's going to funnel money into programs he likes and cut it from ones he doesn't.

And disguise it with populist rhetoric. It's about the same as his Bank Tax thing.

So, basically, he's going to funnel money into programs he likes and cut it from ones he doesn't.

Nevertheless, Obama is making a genuinely horrible mistake here. In an economic time like this, any freeze on government spending is just asking for trouble (just ask FDR what happened when he tried to restore "fiscal prudence" in 1937).

I was recently thinking that US politicians just don't say anything amusing anymore -- anything politically incorrect coming out of their mouth gets filtered out by various advisers and focus groups and whatnot. Fortunately, there always seem to be some who prove me wrong. I think this comment speaks for itself:

Now Bauer has folks shaking their heads again, after he likened government assistance to the poor to feeding stray animals.

At a town hall meeting Thursday, Bauer, who is running for governor in his own right now that Sanford is term-limited, said: "My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed! You're facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don't think too much further than that."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100126/ap_on_re_us/us_lt_gov_don_t_help_the_poor

Re: The proposed spending freeze on social programs.

If Obama is trying to look serious about our deficit, he should start with a freeze on military spending (which will never happen). This is a joke. Fuck that guy.

It all depends on how discretionary domestic spending is defined, doesn't it? I mean, non-defense spending in 2009 was through the roof, so limiting future years to 2009 isn't really much of a limitation. Especially since he apparently doesn't see a conflict between this pledge and continuing to push for health care that would expand coverage to the uninsured, which is going to cost money no matter how you slice it.

This one just struck me as bizarre. Article:

You missed the really interesting part:

one of the men arrested was James O’Keefe, a filmmaker who produced videos purporting to document questionable practices at some field offices of the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, known as Acorn.

Yup, real peach that man. Totally trustworthy.

Would a freeze on discretionary spending at the Pentagon crimp military efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq? Not necessarily a deal-breaker for me, in desiring such a freeze, I just want to make sure I understand this particular facet of the MIC.

I must admit I never paid much attention to the ACORN stuff last year, but this development is certainly interesting:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB20001424052748703906204575027500584356116.html

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2010/01/republicans-distance-themselves-from-okeefe/1

http://politics.theatlantic.com/2010/01/okeefe_i_am_a_journalist_the_truth_shall_set_me_free.php

P.S. Sorry didn't see this was already mentioned above. But the above articles are more recent and talk more about possible political fallout.

Would a freeze on discretionary spending at the Pentagon crimp military efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq? Not necessarily a deal-breaker for me, in desiring such a freeze, I just want to make sure I understand this particular facet of the MIC.

Wouldn't Afghanistan and Iraq military spending fall under "Defense spending" which is exempt from the freeze?

Yup, real peach that man. Totally trustworthy.

Next you're going to say that G. Gordon Liddy is untrustworthy!

Mad Monkey,

Wouldn't Afghanistan and Iraq military spending fall under "Defense spending" which is exempt from the freeze?

Well, that's just my point. Is "Pentagon discretionary spending" the same thing as "our budget for military operations abroad" ...? Judging by your response, I'd surmise the answer is "yes."

Loved the state of the Union.

Especially labeling the 2000s as "the Lost Decade"

and then digging in later that "the Lost Decade" took away a 200 billion/year surplus, gave us two unfunded wars, two giant tax breaks (mostly for the rich and superrich), an unfundeded prescription drug program, and gave us instead 6 trillion dollars in new national debt. more than double the prior national debt.

Lost Decade, indeed. :)

Has anyone been paying attention to recent events in Oregon? I wonder how many other states will follow suit, given the current budget problems most face.

Here's a link to the story: Oregon Passes Tax Boost on Wealthy, Corporations

Basically they are raising state income taxes by 2% on incomes above $125,000 for singles and $250,000 for households, as well as upping corporate taxes. Anyone from Oregon who can give us his take on this? I have no idea how this will play out but I have a funny feeling it's not going to work out in the way they are hoping it will.

Has anyone been paying attention to recent events in Oregon? I wonder how many other states will follow suit, given the current budget problems most face.

Here's a link to the story: Oregon Passes Tax Boost on Wealthy, Corporations

Basically they are raising state income taxes by 2% on incomes above $125,000 for singles and $250,000 for households, as well as upping corporate taxes. Anyone from Oregon who can give us his take on this? I have no idea how this will play out but I have a funny feeling it's not going to work out in the way they are hoping it will.

Businesses will flee, unemployment will shoot up, and revenue from taxes will plummet. The voters in Oregon will get what they so richly deserve.

Businesses will flee, unemployment will shoot up, and revenue from taxes will plummet. The voters in Oregon will get what they so richly deserve.

I suspect that this will be the case.

You won't see the pay hikes for public sector workers cease, though. And I wouldn't mind their pensions!

You won't see the pay hikes for public sector workers cease, though. And I wouldn't mind their pensions!

Hold on, I thought it was only high-taxin' libruls that were supposed to be motivated by jealousy? :huh:

Archived