London Pub Night - May 2010

Myrddin

How is your mother's sabre-tooth bite healing?

The bite wasn't too bad thanks to the leg being frost bitten already, saving the necessary amputation. There is much discussion over whether the sabre-tooth should be put down. Some say we shouldn't have defrosted it from the glacier in the first place, while others say that if it was a dog it would have been put down by now.

KCF - I get the impression the london-based gang don't need much coaxing for a drink, so I'm sure you will get some of us turning up when/if you pass through London.

Yeah, if it's a weeknight and I'm not on holiday or anything, then I'll be along. Just name the day!

We have it down to three nights and no one wants to decide from there. :)

I'll be on "vacation" so any night from 17-19 works for me.

Let's assume that Monday isn't the preferred night (just to narrow it down) and take a vote between 18th and the 19th.

I'll say 18th, just because it's the day I was born (in October).

Once we get the day, then we need to decide on the pub. :)

Fear not, we haven't forgotten you - there's ages left to make arrangements before you get here. Let's for now pick a day - I'll vote with you for the 18th - and I'll suggest some pubs for you closer to the time. We want somewhere central, and I assume you'd like somewhere with a bit of character? Maybe somewhere that does decent food too? Let us know if you want to be near to where you're staying or a particular tube station or anything...

Let's assume that Monday isn't the preferred night (just to narrow it down) and take a vote between 18th and the 19th.

I'll say 18th, just because it's the day I was born (in October).

I might be able to make it. I'm not sure because I was considering heading up to Scotland at some point in May for a week and haven't decided when I would being heading up there, but if it doesn't end up being that week then I should be able to make it through to London. Either the 18th or the 19th should be fine if I am around.

sorry for the momemtary hijack. Does any of the London-based gang fancy a greenlight-celebratory beer over the next few days?

That also sounds like it might be a good idea.

sorry for the momemtary hijack. Does any of the London-based gang fancy a greenlight-celebratory beer over the next few days?
Mmmmm. Maybe. What about Thursday? I'll be in need of a massive drink as I have a School safety meeting first thing and then I'm teaching medics morning and afternoon. Good grief, that looks hideous when written down. So, yeah.

Mmmmm. Maybe. What about Thursday? I'll be in need of a massive drink as I have a School safety meeting first thing and then I'm teaching medics morning and afternoon. Good grief, that looks hideous when written down. So, yeah.

Thursday would suit me, I've started a thread

Fear not, we haven't forgotten you - there's ages left to make arrangements before you get here.

:lol: I know. I'm just anticpating the entire trip.

I know home is never very exciting (I remember how excited everyone was to come to Denver :) ), but this will be the first time I'll be able to spend more than two consecutive days in London, so I'm looking forward to just wandering around (the safe areas).

:lol: I know. I'm just anticpating the entire trip.

I know home is never very exciting (I remember how excited everyone was to come to Denver :) ), but this will be the first time I'll be able to spend more than two consecutive days in London, so I'm looking forward to just wandering around (the safe areas).

I love walking around London - never get bored of it. I hope the weather is suitable for your wandering.

No, really, we will sort out a nice pub or two for when you come over.

Slick, what are you talking about - the meet in May or something sooner, or both?

• 1 month later...

My wife got her itinerary for the two weeks of training. It seems we'll be changing hotels up to Milton Keynes from May 16th-19th. How long of a tube/train ride is that from London proper? An hour or so?

My wife got her itinerary for the two weeks of training. It seems we'll be changing hotels up to Milton Keynes from May 16th-19th. How long of a tube/train ride is that from London proper? An hour or so?

According to this it is only half an hour from London Euston station (which is only a short tube ride from the city centre) to Milton Keynes. It would take you longer than that to get to many parts of London.

I work ten minutes from Euston - there is no shortage of pubs between here and there. Ten minutes is easy walking distance, I'd say.

The Euston Flyer is a bit urgh if memory serves me well. Can't recall having been in the other one. What used to be the Jolly Gardener (which is now the Bree Louise) is about 30 seconds walk from Euston - I went in there a lot when I studied at Birkbeck. When I was last in there (six months ago) I was surprised to see that it was a CAMRA-award winning pub for real ales and something to do with food. It's not a big pub but it has room outside.

The other one which springs to mind is a pub two minutes walk north from there which is quite big, has outdoor seating at the front and is perfectly okay if you can handle being in somewhere that's like a bit like working mens club/community centre. It's the one with a ridiculous number of hanging baskets outside... think it's called The Hope?

Other than that we can easily venture away from Euston Road a bit...

I'd prefer not to go to a pub that's right outside Euston. As Isis says train station pubs can be a bit manky.

Another nice pub in the area is Somerstown Coffee House http://www.beerinthe...ee_House/Euston

It does decent food and shouldn't be too packed on a Monday/Tuesday night.

N

Archived