NFL Offseason (cont.)

Mya Stone

I have never watched more than five minutes of this show, but I may flip over just to see his hair messed up - Jimmy Johnson joins cast of Survivor :blink: The man is 67.

Too bad we couldn't get an entire season full of coaches.

I just read about this as well. I think JJ will have to cut down the helmet hair quite a bit as I doubt there will be an abundance of hairspray/gel in the wilds of Nicaragua (unless he can bum some off the camera crew ;) ). I won't be watching it, however, because I avoid "Unreality" tv like the frakkin' plague. Besides, won't there be some NFL football to watch soon?! :thumbsup:

I just read about this as well. I think JJ will have to cut down the helmet hair quite a bit as I doubt there will be an abundance of hairspray/gel in the wilds of Nicaragua (unless he can bum some off the camera crew ;) ). I won't be watching it, however, because I avoid "Unreality" tv like the frakkin' plague. Besides, won't there be some NFL football to watch soon?! :thumbsup:

Not to further the thread drift, but Survivor is as far from "Reality TV" as it is today as an unscripted show can get.

Anyway, should be interesting. I don't see him lasting very long, though. He's both wealthy and old, two things that will almost surely work against him making it very far (unless he also comes across as very unlikable, in which case I can see him being a good goat).

Being reminded that Hard Knocks will be following the Jets this year just seems to increase the chances this team flames out spectacularly. The more I look at them the more I see the 2000 Redskins and Danny Snyder's first big spending spree. Like the Jets, the Skins had come off an exciting playoff appearance and splurged on big names to put them over the top. But I think the thing that both teams forget is that what got them to that point was great team chemistry. Big names, especially those past their prime, have a way of upsetting that. Even the moves are similar:

Skins got Deion Sanders in 2000, Jets got Antonio Cromartie.

Skins got Bruce Smith. Jets got Jason Taylor.

Skins got Jeff George. Jets got Santonio Holmes.

Skins got Larry Centers. Jets got LT.

If that wasn't enough, the thought processes seem to be the same. Pair the hyperathletic Cromartie with shutdown pro bowl corner Darrelle Revis and teams will have nowhere to throw the ball. Skins were doing the same thing 10 years ago pairing Deion with Champ Bailey. The thing about Cromartie, like Deion, is that he's a finesse corner and absolutely a liability in the run game. So is Jason Taylor. The strength of the Jets last year was this physical, swarming defense but I have to think Cromartie and Taylor, when on the field, go against that. Also like the Skins, because of this frenzy of activity they had to drop or displace some key cogs. Faneca and Washington were absolutely key pieces to that offense. And LT doesn't offer much of a change of pace from Thomas Jones. Similarly Holmes seems to provide a redundant skill set to what Edwards gives you. Really seems like they'd be better served with a consistent, possession guy to help Sanchez develop. As is usually the case with free agents, there's a reason their former team let them go. They added two future hall of famers just like the Skins but I'll be amazed if they're a net positive on this roster.

We all know how well it worked out for the Skins. Was subtraction by addition. For the Jets it still remains to be seen...but considering that it's New York with its bright spotlight, a coach who's promising the world and Hard Knocks as icing on top this seems to have incredible implosion potential. I'll be honest, wouldn't mind seeing it happen to some other team besides the Skins for once.

LT doesn't offer much of a change of pace from Thomas Jones.

Thomas Jones is in Kansas City now.

That said, I agree with the sentiment that LT's time as a dynamic offensive player is done. He won't add much to that offense.

Similarly Holmes seems to provide a redundant skill set to what Edwards gives you. Really seems like they'd be better served with a consistent, possession guy to help Sanchez develop.

I think Holmes is better than Edwards, if only for the fact that he can consistently catch the ball. They may be similar, but I'd call Holmes an upgrade (once he's done with his suspension). And I'd say that Cotchery/Keller are solid possession options.

If that wasn't enough, the thought processes seem to be the same. Pair the hyperathletic Cromartie with shutdown pro bowl corner Darrelle Revis and teams will have nowhere to throw the ball. Skins were doing the same thing 10 years ago pairing Deion with Champ Bailey. The thing about Cromartie, like Deion, is that he's a finesse corner and absolutely a liability in the run game. So is Jason Taylor. The strength of the Jets last year was this physical, swarming defense but I have to think Cromartie and Taylor, when on the field, go against that. Also like the Skins, because of this frenzy of activity they had to drop or displace some key cogs. Faneca and Washington were absolutely key pieces to that offense. And LT doesn't offer much of a change of pace from Thomas Jones. Similarly Holmes seems to provide a redundant skill set to what Edwards gives you. Really seems like they'd be better served with a consistent, possession guy to help Sanchez develop.

Well, firstly while Faneca and Washington were key pieces of their team in past it wasn't so last zear. Washington was injuried and Faneca was the weakest point of their (very good) line. Besides the money factor was there too Faneca cap number was 7 mil. per season I think and Washington wanted new (and potentialy very lucrative) contract too. The same about Thomas Jones whose salary cap number was quite high for such old players.

Jets knew that they need to extend Mangold, Ferguson, Harris plus either Edwards or Holmes next year. And those guys are future of franchise not the guys they cut. So they did what every well managed team would have done - they cut old, overpaid and/or underperfroming players and took the cap hit in uncapped year. Next year (if cap is back in place) it would have been much moe difficult.

I agree that both Edwards and Holmes are unlikely to work well when both on field. But I don't think they will heep both (they have just 1 year contract), they simply will offer extension to better option next year. Like said they already have possesion reciever in Cotcherry. And they gave up just 5th pick for Holmes, that's a steal.

To Taylor - it's true that Jets run D is very good, but their pass rush is nothing special and Taylor should help them there.

Cromartie is better option than what they had last year I think, so he should be improvement.

Thomas Jones is in Kansas City now.

Shit, you're right.

Even though he isn't spectacular think Thomas Jones remains underrated as a move the chains back. Sure Shonn Greene is more talented but that's what the Bears said about Benson when they let TJ go and their running game imploded. Not to say that will happen to the Jets. Just that Greene's never had to carry to load so there's a small unknown there. And thought the three backs they had last year provided everything you could want from a running game. This year not so much.

I think Holmes is better than Edwards, if only for the fact that he can consistently catch the ball. They may be similar, but I'd call Holmes an upgrade (once he's done with his suspension). And I'd say that Cotchery/Keller are solid possession options.

I agree with all this. I'm just not sure Sanchez is the ideal QB to have two talented deep threat guys like Edwards and Holmes. Also don't think the Jets are going to be running an "air it out" offense so I think there'll be some ability wasted here. The big question is if they can find playcalling that works to keep everyone happy.

Well, firstly while Faneca and Washington were key pieces of their team in past it wasn't so last zear. Washington was injuried and Faneca was the weakest point of their (very good) line. Besides the money factor was there too Faneca cap number was 7 mil. per season.

Yeah, I'm guessing Faneca wasn't as good as usual last year because he's not the typical guy you release. But who did they get to fill his spot? I remember before he got there there was a yawning chasm at OG between Mangold and Ferguson that was actively keeping both guys from being as good as they can.

Jets knew that they need to extend Mangold, Ferguson, Harris plus either Edwards or Holmes next year. And those guys are future of franchise not the guys they cut. So they did what every well managed team would have done - they cut old, overpaid and/or underperfroming players and took the cap hit in uncapped year. Next year (if cap is back in place) it would have been much moe difficult.

Well they cut old guys like TJ and Faneca but also brought in old guys like LT and Jason Taylor. It's not like their moves made them any younger. Also I wouldn't call them moves of a "well managed" team until we see how they perform and fit in with what they already have. From my perspective - the moves look like a classic Redskins off-season. Big names that look great on paper complimenting what they already have...but hopefully not disruptive to the winning chemistry they had last year. Most well run teams promote in house when a guy is released because he wants too much or has gotten too old and generally avoid big names for the potential distraction they cause unless there's a definite specific need. These pick ups don't feel necessary as much as "sugar on top" kinda additions.

Hey, it could all work and the Jets could become dominant this year. I just think there's also serious flameout potential - especially considering the magnifying glass they'll be under starting with Hard Knocks, and especially especially considering their coach is promising the world.

Thomas Jones was never more than an above average runner, but he was a great running back. He knew how to block, he knew how to run routes and catch, and he knew how to find holes and get 4 yards when he needed three. Even at his age he's still good for those things. The Bears were fools to get rid of him.

Training camp starts on Thursday. I can't wait.

I'm also glad we didn't draft Dez Bryant. This article makes him sound like he could potentially be a cancer in the locker room. I like my chemistry and I like players going through the age old idea of hazing. It brings teams together.

Training camp starts Friday...it's been a long couple of months since hockey ended and we have no baseball team to speak of! :D

On another note, Bill Cowher's wife Kaye died on Friday from melanoma. :( Condolences to Bill and their girls. She did an awful lot of charity work here, even after they moved to North Carolina. She will be missed.

I just figured it out. Jason Taylor is going to sabotage the Jets! He'll run by Cleveland and pick up a little Staph infection for the the locker room, he'll give Santonio Holmes pictures of Lashae Boone giving Mark Sanchez a lap dance, he might even sneak into Rex Ryan's bedroom at night and cut his lap band!

Jason Taylor, you magnificent bastard!

Training camp starts on Thursday. I can't wait.

I'm also glad we didn't draft Dez Bryant. This article makes him sound like he could potentially be a cancer in the locker room. I like my chemistry and I like players going through the age old idea of hazing. It brings teams together.

Have to disagree with you. Hazing is a stupid excuse to bully and demean another person, under the guise of it being 'all in good fun' and 'everyone has to do it' and 'it brings the team together'. Its not necessary. And Dez Bryant refusing to participate only makes me like him even more.

You might be glad the Bengals didn't draft him right now, but you're going to be regretting that soon. My guess is by the middle of this season, but if not that early, then at the very least in a year or two.

Also, if Cincy signs TO (it looks like the Bengals and Rams have the most interest), I'm going to laugh at your comment about liking team chemistry. :P

Have to disagree with you. Hazing is a stupid excuse to bully and demean another person, under the guise of it being 'all in good fun' and 'everyone has to do it' and 'it brings the team together'. Its not necessary. And Dez Bryant refusing to participate only makes me like him even more.

You might be glad the Bengals didn't draft him right now, but you're going to be regretting that soon. My guess is by the middle of this season, but if not that early, then at the very least in a year or two.

Also, if Cincy signs TO (it looks like the Bengals and Rams have the most interest), I'm going to laugh at your comment about liking team chemistry. :P

I honestly can't see why Cinci would sign TO. We have enough WRs and we've seen enough in offseason workouts to suggest we don't need him.

Here's the thing, hazing happens. It's been happening in lockerrooms pretty consistently for years. If one person decides they don't have to go through it, it'll cause issues. It might be fine from an outsiders perspective but inside that locker room, you can't honestly expect the people to start to respect him more because he decided he was too good to carry a veterans pads like everyone else did before him.

Here's the thing, hazing happens. It's been happening in lockerrooms pretty consistently for years. If one person decides they don't have to go through it, it'll cause issues. It might be fine from an outsiders perspective but inside that locker room, you can't honestly expect the people to start to respect him more because he decided he was too good to carry a veterans pads like everyone else did before him.

I agree it isn't likely to increase the respect his teammates have for him. Whether it should do that or not is a different question. I honestly think that teaching the rookies a little humility, since they are playing at the higher level, would be a good thing. Carrying pads isn't so bad at all. Some of the other hazing I hear about sounds a lot more counterproductive and potentially dangerous.

He is getting compliments from Peter King and getting ripped by everyone else. :dunno:

Whiskyjack is on the same side as Peter King. Say it ain't so? :blush:

I think good natured hazing is a positive thing. From funny hair cuts, to making rookies sing embarrassing songs or paying for the entire offensive line's dinner it does build chemistry. It is something Brett Farve must have missed out on. Does it change wins and losses probably not, but it does help a team become a team. As long as the veterans don't cross a certain line it can lead to veterans and rookies building trust and relationships with each other.

I don't think it was the hazing, it was WHO was hazing him. Over-priced, underperforming veteran who has talked and talked and TALKED all off-season about how it's his starting job vs. super-athletic rookie who was drafted specifically to take that job.

Every OTA and practice has had reports (from both the local and national media) of how great Bryant has looked. Makes impossible catches, inpresses teammates and coaches with his ability, works extremely hard. Every other week a new article came out about how Roy Williams keeps preaching that he and Tony Romo need to get on the same page but they will and he's the starter.

Then Roy Williams tells Dez Bryant to carry his shoulder pads. The media sees it but is it handled in-house? No, Roy Williams speaks publicly about it and how he might have to take it up another level.

My guess this will be handled by the orgaznization and team leaders like Tony Romo and Keith Brooking. If it really does become a distraction then they have no business winning a damn thing.

A NFL rookie, especially an early round pick, has likely spent his entire life as one of the most important and most athletic players on the field and a god walking among mortals off of it. He has to be shown that, in the NFL, he's still a worthless nobody who has yet to accomplish anything, that none of his his high school or college accomplishments mean shit and that the shittiest veteran player is unequivocally above him, and most importantly, that the first pick in the draft is just as worthless as any undrafted free agent. Hazing can help to impart this wisdom.

Of course, that's only my take and since I've never played football, I could be talking out my ass.

Well said Ericxihn.

Now what the hell happened to Sergio Kindle? Fractured skull? :o Will miss training camp? His side is saying that he woke up in the middle of the night at a friends house and couldn't see so well in the dark causing him to fall two flights of stairs. Holy shit. And I was hoping the Pats would draft this guy.

Rams are saying no to T.O. Will ESPN self destruct if he joins Ocho?

Archived