NFL Offseason (cont.)

Mya Stone

I'd be curious to see if the Favre apologists at ESPN, SI, et al actually pick up this story.

But is it a story?

Should every allegation against a professional athlete be treated as though it's true? Or brought to the public's attention? For example, I love reading PFT as much as the next guy and indulging in the rumors there but I don't think most rise to the level of a story. And I don't think this does either without evidence. General public fascination with/or disdain of isn't enough to make it one. Obviously there's a difficult to define line there between what constitues a legit story and I'm not sure exactly where it is. But in this case think I need more reason to believe it's true than what the Deadspin article gives.

But in this case think I need more reason to believe it's true than what the Deadspin article gives.

Granted, the article is rather scant. But I believe the story is true, because of the guy who's the subject of it: Brett.

He's proven time and time again that he has a massive ego; the stories of his infidelities and carousing in Green bay are legendary, and, if they are to believe, didn't stop after his public painkiller humiliation.

He simply believes himself above consequences, because teams have let him be for over a decade now, and so this carries over to other parts of his life.

But is it a story?

Should every allegation against a professional athlete be treated as though it's true? Or brought to the public's attention? For example, I love reading PFT as much as the next guy and indulging in the rumors there but I don't think most rise to the level of a story. And I don't think this does either without evidence. General public fascination with/or disdain of isn't enough to make it one. Need more reason to believe it's true than what the Deadspin article gives.

While I tend to agree with you there, Jaime. This has got to be an interesting test case. The Boo Yah's essentially stopped all of their regular programming yesterday to report on another retirement from a guy who's all about the attention based on some apparent text messages. Now one of their golden children is caught up in something that kinda takes some polish off the old luster (if you'll forgive the euphamism) and while it shouldn't be a story, will a rival agency take up the torch to get out ahead of them on this...

I don't know that it needs to be anything, but it certainly could turn into something...

But is it a story?

Should every allegation against a professional athlete be treated as though it's true? Or brought to the public's attention? For example, I love reading PFT as much as the next guy and indulging in the rumors there but I don't think most rise to the level of a story. And I don't think this does either without evidence. General public fascination with/or disdain of isn't enough to make it one. Obviously there's a difficult to define line there between what constitues a legit story and I'm not sure exactly where it is. But in this case think I need more reason to believe it's true than what the Deadspin article gives.

Granted, I'm assuming there's actually something to this story, because as much as Deadspin and Sterger are targets for "traditional sports media", they'd have to be fucking nuts to run with this if Sterger is making it up. Perhaps I am extending them too much credit in my loathing for Brett Favre the media darling.

ESPN was ALL OVER tiger, and im sure they did almost no substantiation whatsoever. In this case we have deadspin claiming that they heard voicemails from Brett to Sterger, and Sterger herself claiming these things happened.

If Jenn Sterger does come out with a statement, ESPN has a former SI columnist, and sports journalism personality levying a claim against Bret Favre. I would like to see the NFL do an internal investigation on sexual harrassment here as both were employees of the Jets at the time.

I want to see Goddell's ugly face come in here and pontificate about how Brett Favre definately satisfied the definition of sexual harrassment (she claims she threw the phone, and was afraid to report it because she would be fired for doing so due to his status in the organization). I wanna see the scum of the earth (goddell) come down on favre.

If this stroy were about Chris Johnson all hell would break loose and Johnson would be suspended for 4 games. But the NFL is racist, and so is ESPN (and basically every sports journalist that doesnt cover the NBA). I wanna see Peter King and Chris Berman report on this. This is the only time ive ever wanted to watch chris berman report on something.

Yeah, we were gonna do that THIS year, except Favre was said to be coming back at that point.

Oh, I know. I live in Vikings Country after all :) That was sort of my point. Things can be alright for teams that approach Favre as the icing on the cake rather than the whole cake. If Favre is your whole cake then you're very likely going to be left hungry.

ETA: I mean the above in a strictly football sense. I don't know about all this harassment stuff and will reserve judgement on that.

While I tend to agree with you there, Jaime. This has got to be an interesting test case. The Boo Yah's essentially stopped all of their regular programming yesterday to report on another retirement from a guy who's all about the attention based on some apparent text messages. Now one of their golden children is caught up in something that kinda takes some polish off the old luster (if you'll forgive the euphamism) and while it shouldn't be a story, will a rival agency take up the torch to get out ahead of them on this...

I don't know that it needs to be anything, but it certainly could turn into something...

It's true. All this "which way is he leaning" torrent of reporting aren't stories either. Though compared with the damage to someone's reputation, they're pretty harmless however it turns out.

Granted, I'm assuming there's actually something to this story, because as much as Deadspin and Sterger are targets for "traditional sports media", they'd have to be fucking nuts to run with this if Sterger is making it up. Perhaps I am extending them too much credit in my loathing for Brett Favre the media darling.

Agreed.

ESPN was ALL OVER tiger, and im sure they did almost no substantiation whatsoever. In this case we have deadspin claiming that they heard voicemails from Brett to Sterger, and Sterger herself claiming these things happened.

The difference of course is that with Tiger there was clearly something going on after that bizarre evening. We didn't know what, but there was a reason to probe deeper. Here the only reason is what Steger claims. He said/she said. Also in Tiger's case women were literally coming out of the woodwork to confirm the early stories. Guess we can see if that happened here.

But honestly do you really want more stories about Favre? More stories clouding the space generally devoted to football about off the field crap? I don't think Steger suffered at all from it (it was a running joke between her and friends)...I don't think it's a case of "justice must be done"...I think you want to see it out there because you're sick of Favre and want him to suffer as he's made all us football fans suffer.

I'm more concerned about the precedent it sets and whether my sports watching in the future will be deluged my all kinds of allegations (some true, some BS) against athletes. The last thing we need is another non-sports story for ESPN to get in a lather over and dominate its coverage with.

I suppose id rather never hear about this again, favre comes back and then start licking his beanbag for 17 weeks. That way i can continue tor ail about gthe nfl league office's hypocracy and espn.

So, Favre looks like he is finally, finally retiring. And while this retirement (his third) is always subject to His Majesty changing his Royal Mind (like he sometimes does on critical 3rd down situations in NFC Championship games... ) this one looks like the final retirement.

I'll believe it when I actually see him sitting in the bleachers.

I think the Broncos are going to break out this year.

With the removal of team cancers like Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, and Tony Scheffler, and team guys like Peyton Hillis, I think we're in a great position to really surprise people.

Because I mean...how can you do anything but surprise people after you cut all your pro bowlers and offensive weapons and replace them with question marks?

I am hearing a lot of groaning around town about Knowshon Moreno and his injury, and I'm like "yeah, we'll miss that 3.2 yard per carry average he brought to the table."

Man I want this team to do good, but really...how can they? I swear people are really giving Josh McDaniels a lot of wiggle room. No one is questioning his moves anymore. This team appears to be wrapped in a dire struggle for life at this point. Kyle Orton is "by far" the most impressive QB we have in camp. Fuck. That's fucking awful.

I love how the local guys are saying our two rookie wide receivers are totally going to replace BMarsh. Yeah fucking right.

I'll just be glad when this nightmare is over and we get a real coach in here to rebuild the disaster he/she inherits. I would like to try a female head coach. It seems like the perfect time. You know the Denver Post ran an article about Tebow and McDaniels and something about Tebow speculating if McD wore boxers or briefs.

oh and fuck Brett Favre.

The announcement was leaked to the press through teammates and other sources. I say that Favre did all that on purpose. He did not get behind a podium and say "I am declaring that I am retiring." Which was my whole point. The point of this entire maneuver was to generate media attention. Mission. Accomplished. We are now all talking about HIM at the start of training camp. AND had he done the right thing and announced (like I know think he will in 2-3 weeks) that he is coming back, there is no story! He knows that! He wants to keep the STORY alive, and the best way to do that is to "release the hounds" on an announcement that "sources claim Favre says he will retire." The ambiguity about the whole thing is what makes it work so well.

Oh, AND IT JUST SO HAPPENS that in the follow-up article that Favre mentioned his appointment with Dr. Andrews which is happening very soon. So, we now have the next story "Favre to See Andrews!" ESPN is practically planning 24-hour coverage as we speak.

But, hey, if you think calling it idiocy makes you feel better, knock yourself out.

It is idiocy. Instead of this elaborately retarded plan involving supposedly sending texts to to players who then confirm this supposedly to only two reporters and then Favre categorically denying it happened, why wouldn't he simply just do the announcement as he did the actual one today? For some reason you don't think ESPN would give wall to wall Favre coverage for just that? Please. Basically the only way your "genius" plan is feasible is if Favre decided he wanted to try and make Jay Glazer look like an idiot.

I'm still so perplexed by this. It has to be fake, right? It's just too weird to be true...right?

Brett Favre sent Jenn Sterger pics of his cock.

That's an Onion article title. Except...no, it's actually real. And it makes a sort of perverse sense; an internet fame whore gets sexually propositioned by the original fame whore.

And what's really sad is that the thing that makes me most upset about it is finding out she had her implants removed. Sigh.

You would think that would be more reported but then again ESPN tries its best to avoid that stuff as seen when Roethlisberger got accused the first time and ESPN refused to run the story; or more recently on their decidedly huge coverup that is on going about Delonte West sleeping with LeBron James's Mom.(In case others are Bill Simmons fans and didn't know what he was referencing, that is what he is referring to on his more recent podcasts when he mentions he is not allowed to talk about a topic.)

Okay, not my comment, pulled off Deadspin.

But it sums up the situation neatly, from Deadspin's angle.

If he had the story since February, I'm guessing he's been trying to get the pics since then, to no avail. So, he was never going to get the pics anyway. She brings up the fact that shes got the pics and the VM's and texts but stops short of producing them.

So, post the story. Get the hits. And force the action. She no longer has the cards. If she comes out and says she doesnt have the pics - shes the liar. Someone contacted Deadspin, saying she had pics sent by a major sports figure and she has admitted to being liar. Obviously AJ has the emails saved.

If the pics come out, Deadspin broke the story.

Its a no-lose situation.

I don't see how this is a problem, unless you are somehow deluded to think that professional athletes are, like, these pillars of morality and role models for your kids, or give a shit about John Q. Fan.

I'll just be glad when this nightmare is over and we get a real coach in here to rebuild the disaster he/she inherits. I would like to try a female head coach. It seems like the perfect time. You know the Denver Post ran an article about Tebow and McDaniels and something about Tebow speculating if McD wore boxers or briefs.

Yeah, Simon, it's kinda depressing.

Training camp always brings optimism, but it's a different sort when all of it is centered around a third string QB. The starting QB is still Orton who when asked whether he'll move around the pocket more this year to buy some time responded: "They're job is to block, mine's to pass"; the starting WRs are likely to be Gaffney and Royal (the one who went from 91 catches to 37 in the "Welker" role). Knowshon's injured but think most people think the journeyman Buckhalter is better than he is. They lost the 100 catch man so really the only thing that'll make this offense exciting to see is the new #15, Tim Tebow when he Wild Horses his way into the game. I know his jump passes in practice drew breathless commentary. Going to take definite magic to make this offense go - if the man really is an offensive genius, now's the time to show it. Seems like the draft picks they got (Tebow and Demaryius Thomas) are both too raw to really contribute as rookies. Maybe Eric Decker can. But really I can't tell you what the Broncos do well anymore. The sad thing is think the hope has to be that Tebow turns into a home-run pick because where else on the roster is their potential to hope on for the future? Outside of him maybe the O-line.....and Barrel Man...

ETA: Unrelated, Kevin Seifert of the NFC North blog has explained the rationale for Favre's text-a-palooza this way:

They're squirming a bit, as we suggested they might. They haven't gotten an "absolutely, yes" and the start of the regular season is a month away. Now I think we can all agree that no matter what the Vikings might say publicly, they realize the fate of their 2010 season depends on Favre's health (and relatively timely) return.

That's why it took only 24 hours after the latest barrage of text messages for the Vikings to offer him a nearly 20 percent raise for 2010, with incentives that could make it a 35 percent raise. If they were as comfortable with Tarvaris Jackson as they claim to be, they wouldn't be so quick to open the vault.

I guess the question is - can you win a Super Bowl with a Front Office this sniveling and gutless?

As a life-long Packer fan I can't help but enjoy watching the coniptions that Favre has put Minnesota into. Now I have every respect for what he has done on the field. Yes, I know all to well that one has to mention he's record # of interceptions along with his record # of wins, TD passes, and completions. A good # of those interceptions caused to yell/throw things at the TV, walk away in disgust and anger, or curl up into a little ball sobbing uncontrollably, or occasionally try to do all three things at the same time. He's had his brain-dead moments. I think most Packer fans would agree with me that the benefits he brought were worth the INTs. He's routinely completed passes that few other QBs would dare try intentionally. Even last season, when he was playing for the hated Vikings, he was simply unbelievable. Given how his season ended its easy to forget that no 40 year old man should able to get himself into position to loose a conference championship game by throwing an int in OT (in a game they would have had a strong chance of winning in Peterson would have just been able to hang onto the fucking ball). Yes, he deserves mocking but he also reserves a great deal of respect as one of the 4 or 5 best to ever play the position

Now his recent off the field antics are a whole other matter entirely. Ted Thompson did not handle parting ways with #4 as smoothly as it could have been done but it was clearly the right decision for the team. On his end Favre went from quickly went from being a bit arrogant to a complete dick, a condition that he has not managed to recover from since. This is sad because when he was younger (say his first decade in the league) he came across a down-to-earth, stand-up kind of guy. He was generally as humble as one could hope for a professional athlete performing at the top of the game. I guess nearly a decade of having sports announcers lining up around the block to suck your cock will eventually go to your head. Packer fans loved Favre up until he left the team and then some. We got seriously ill having to listen to the shit the announcers would say about him every week. Regardless, whatever happened Favre apparently is going to add being a record setting asshole to his other accomplishments. I'm getting endless amusement that the Vikings are the ones getting to suffer through his antics.

Viva Aaron Rodgers.

Yeah, Simon, it's kinda depressing.

Training camp always brings optimism, but it's a different sort when all of it is centered around a third string QB. The starting QB is still Orton who when asked whether he'll move around the pocket more this year to buy some time responded: "They're job is to block, mine's to pass"; the starting WRs are likely to be Gaffney and Royal (the one who went from 91 catches to 37 in the "Welker" role). Knowshon's injured but think most people think the journeyman Buckhalter is better than he is. They lost the 100 catch man so really the only thing that'll make this offense exciting to see is the new #15, Tim Tebow when he Wild Horses his way into the game. I know his jump passes in practice drew breathless commentary. Going to take definite magic to make this offense go - if the man really is an offensive genius, now's the time to show it. Seems like the draft picks they got (Tebow and Demaryius Thomas) are both too raw to really contribute as rookies. Maybe Eric Decker can. But really I can't tell you what the Broncos do well anymore. The sad thing is think the hope has to be that Tebow turns into a home-run pick because where else on the roster is their potential to hope on for the future? Outside of him maybe the O-line.....and Barrel Man...

ETA: Unrelated, Kevin Seifert of the NFC North blog has explained the rationale for Favre's text-a-palooza this way:

I guess the question is - can you win a Super Bowl with a Front Office this sniveling and gutless?

On the other side, I love what Shanahan is doing with the Redskins and especially how he is handling Haynesworth. I bet he gets good games out of the guy. Of course, the Shanny doghouse is legendary in Denver and most guys never got out of it.

As a life-long Packer fan I can't help but enjoy watching the coniptions that Favre has put Minnesota into.

Its amazing and 100% predictable. I think all Packers fans should revel in this moment because they caught so much flack for "letting Favre go" (amazingly strange statement). Its sort of like when you date this woman and its great for he first month, the sex is awesome, she gives you space, etc, and then ... she goes crazy, starts following you to work, shows up at your place at 3AM and leaves 300 text messages in the span of 45 minutes. You then dump her, get the restraining orders etc...

... when the guy you hate starts (you know: THAT GUY) dating her. He's a real asshole and he starts texting you saying how amazing the sex has been, how stupid you were to get rid of her, all your friends start asking you if you were okay when you dumped her; that you did not seem to know what you were doing, and that your new girlfriend is, at best, a work in progress....

... and then the police show up at THAT GUY's house, his car is on the roof, and his girlfriend is saying that if he doesn't buy her a ring she will shave hid dog bald.

I mean, we laugh at that, right? You go around to all your friends with pictures of the bald dog on your iPhone, right? These suckers KNEW WHAT THEY WERE GETTING INTO! I mean, give props to the Jets: at least their Plan B was "draft Mark Sanchez"; the Vikings? Travaris Jackson FT... win... kinda?

Now I have every respect for what he has done on the field. Yes, I know all to well that one has to mention he's record # of interceptions along with his record # of wins, TD passes, and completions.

You had me at "record number of INTs..."

A good # of those interceptions caused to yell/throw things at the TV, walk away in disgust and anger, or curl up into a little ball sobbing uncontrollably, or occasionally try to do all three things at the same time.

Wait, are you a Drew Bledsoe fan?

It is idiocy. Instead of this elaborately retarded plan involving supposedly sending texts to to players who then confirm this supposedly to only two reporters and then Favre categorically denying it happened, why wouldn't he simply just do the announcement as he did the actual one today? For some reason you don't think ESPN would give wall to wall Favre coverage for just that? Please. Basically the only way your "genius" plan is feasible is if Favre decided he wanted to try and make Jay Glazer look like an idiot.

Slurk:

Well, what is in his character that makes you think he would NOT do this? I mean, The TE for the Vikings said he got the texts and then Favre, amazingly, drives out of house in his beat up pick-up truck (that I insist he actually uses for JUST these occasions- to look like a regular good-ol' boy in front of the press), drives up to Ed Werder and says (I swear to GOD!) "What are you guys doing here?" Amazing. Absolutely amazing. Like he does not know PRECISELY why they were there.

He then says that he sent no messages etc. Now this was AFTER ESPN did the half-hour special on ESPN about Favre's retirement that basically had Merril Hodge acting catatonic because by that point they were getting conflicting messages (none directly from Favre). So, after all that media hype, Favre JUST SO HAPPENS to drive out in his truck to talk to Ed. His only comments were that he had not decided on retirement (read: my teammates are all liars) and that the reason why Vishanko (the TE who's name I'll butcher) spread these rumors was because "that's why I love him." (Translation: I love how my own teammates lie about me so much!)

And remember, he is specifically feeding us the story at his pace: he is the one who told us about Andrews adn bout his ankle, so there is a marker out there for us to all keep our eyes on! The guy knows the system.

Rodney Harrison made a phenomenal point; he said that by a certain age, you KNOW if you are coming back or not. He thinks Favre knows and is milking this (no evidence to the contrary by the way).

Is there any doubt that RIGHT NOW Favre has 1) extraordinary media exposure and 2) that he will be under center for the Vikings come September? Any doubt at all?

Okay... now time for my conspiracy theory, Sulk, which is completely, 100% opposite to the above: what if the Vikings, SICK AND TIRED of Favre's indecision, started this rumor; that it was 100% home grown, 100% a lie? That the Vikes made it all up TO FORCE Favre to make a decision NOW, decided to float this rumor to get Favre to come out one way or the other?

That is the only other viable explanation, and if that is so, I 100% apologize for my diatribe against Favre (for this season; the others stand). However, right now, I think this is all Favre; if its the Vikes, I'm an ass-clown and will say as much.

(the next post should be reserved for anyone to make the "Rock, you are ALREADY an ass-clown", obligatory joke).

While I got no specific beef with Farve in general, all of this talk about people never mentioning his holding the record for most interceptions sent me on a very quick. very unscientific use of my limited math skills to look at the numbers a little closer to try to understand why it's left out of the conversation...

Farve has 6083 completions out of 9811 attempts in his career for 62.0%. He has 316 interceptions out of those 9811 attempts for 3.22%. He has nearly 1500 more pass attempts in his career in front of Dan Marino who is number two on the list.

The number two man in interceptions is George Blanda who threw 4007 pass attempts over a career that spanned 1949 thru 1975. He completed 1911 of those attempts for 47.7%. His interceptions were 277 of those 4007 attempts for 6.9%.

The current active leader in pass attmepts behind Farve is Peyton with 6531, of which 4232 have been completed for 64.8%. He's thrown 181 interceptions for 2.8%. (He's tied for 34th overall in interceptions, but 3rd on the active list behind only Kerry Collins and Farve.)

Based on very very simply percentages, Farve's numbers aren't a lot different from Peyton's at the moment. Since I think Peyton will end up breaking the passing attempts and complettions records of Farve's, but not come anywhere near the interception totals, for me Peyton's going to reign supreme a lot longer twenty or thirty years from now...

Does this absolve Farve? Hell no. Does it, for me, explain the reason why it's not needed to be trumpted, though I can't see why it's so hard to say, "Of course he's the all time league leader in pass attempts and completions...the caveat to that is that he's going to have more interceptions than anyone else and he does" and then move on in the conversation...

And this kind of rambling nothing is what happens when you have the amount of time on your hands like I've had lately... :P

Archived