When people ask what you're reading....

Liadin

I always get the "wow, what a big book!"

But it's always in places where I have to behave, like a doctor's office, or I'd come back with the amazing line that I've never been able to use..."I like my books the way I like cock...long and thick."

Ah, well, maybe one of you can use it? ;)

On the other hand, when I've been out and about with my Nook, people don't ask what I'm reading, they ask about the technology, which isn't so bad.

Don't they ask you: Is it Kindle?

If you don't want actually want to talk to me, then don't talk to me. It's not that big of a deal. I don't think that's being "antisocial" (I hate that word; every douchebag on the Internet is "antisocial"); I don't want to talk to people who don't really want to talk to me, and I don't think that anyone else actually does either.
Asking someone about what they are reading and just making small talk for the sake of it are not the same thing though.

I was antisocial before the internet existed. I'm an introvert and being around other people without let up gets on my tits. However, I don't think that you can or should expect to cut yourself off from human contact unless you (intentionally) live in the middle of nowhere. If you live in a populated area then interacting with others comes with the territory. I'm not saying go out of your way to do it but rather accept it as part of life and try to make the most of it. Or, don't. :)

Asking someone about what they are reading and just making small talk for the sake of it are not the same thing though.

It isn't? Well, in my experience it usually is. The conversation usually goes along the lines of them asking me, me telling them the title, and then them saying, "Oh" or "That's nice" and going back to whatever they were doing before they started talking to me. I don't see the point of that; to me, it's like small talk except it's just distracting and annoying.

However, I don't think that you can or should expect to cut yourself off from human contact unless you (intentionally) live in the middle of nowhere

Again, I'm not saying that I want to be cut off from human contact or that I want to live in the middle of nowhere. I don't understand this logical leap at all; all I want is that, if you interrupt me when I'm reading or doing something else that requires concentration, that you have something that you want to say to me. I have no problem exchanging pleasantries with anyone, or having a conversation about almost anything, but I hate when someone interrupts me for no reason and then doesn't have anything to say. To me, that's annoying and somewhat disrespectful; if you don't actually want to talk to me, then don't interrupt me. Really, it won't hurt my feelings! And if you do want to talk to me, then talk to me. I'd be more than comfortable putting down any book to talk to a person. :D

WOW!

A really good example.

I am going to memorize it :)

Thanks! :)

When I used to cycle to work every day I often had people stop me to ask for directions even though I had headphones on. I bet some of you think that's pretty rude, huh? :P

Meh, I would be annoyed by that--the last thing you want when you're in a hurry is somebody looking for directions. I must be a terrible misanthrope. :P

Actually though, I'm not particularly bothered if somebody comes up to me with a purpose while I'm reading--they need directions, they want to know if I saw their lost dog, whatever. But, like Mad Monkey, I don't want to be interrupted for nothing but inane chit-chat with a stranger.

But it's always in places where I have to behave, like a doctor's office, or I'd come back with the amazing line that I've never been able to use..."I like my books the way I like cock...long and thick."
Can't you say, "Oh, but I like my books long and thick...LONG PAUSE" and leave people to work the rest out for themselves?

Does this actually happen?

I don't think a stranger has ever asked me what I am reading, and I read in public places (in cafés, in parks, on the beach, on the subway, etc.) all the time. I guess this is one of those things that only happen to beautiful girls.

I'm neither a girl, nor really extraordinarily attractive, and it (fortunately) happens to me, so there's that.

Almost every time I fly (which is moderately often) and occasionally on my daily train commute.

Recently when I was sitting in a Starbucks, reading Nights of Villjamur while I was waiting for someone, a woman asked me where the restrooms are and on her way back she commented on my book and we talked a bit. So it happens.

It might of course have something to do with how you present yourself in that public place. If you hunch over your book and glare at everyone who dares approach you...

It could just as easily be that you're bored and not at all disinclined to chat, but there was nobody there to chat to when you started reading. Or you don't have an opener (mostly on planes/trains). Or whatnot.

I'm actually quite surprised at how curmudgeonly most of y'all's reactions here are :)

I usually love when someone asks me about what I'm reading. It's not like it's that hard to get the message across that you'd rather continue reading than talk.

Yeah, this is me. I read in public a lot, not because I go out of my way to do so, but because I spend a lot of time in airports and on planes, and there are only so many ways I can kill time. For me, the book is really just a prop, and nine times out of ten I would gladly put it down in favor of chitchat. In fact, I'm usually sitting there hoping someone will start up a conversation. I was reading A Game of Thrones in the hotel bar the other night, and I was thrilled when I went up to the bar for another drink and a dude there asked what I was reading. We had a pleasant conversation despite the fact that he was into horror and I hadn't read any of the books he mentioned.

If I sincerely don't want to be disturbed, but have to be in public, I wear my headphones (sometimes with the iPod turned off) and a scowl. I don't understand how one can be out in public and not expect to have to interact with people, but, then again, I don't assume a stranger's chitchat is going to be 'inane', either.

Yeah, this is me. I read in public a lot, not because I go out of my way to do so, but because I spend a lot of time in airports and on planes, and there are only so many ways I can kill time. For me, the book is really just a prop, and nine times out of ten I would gladly put it down in favor of chitchat. In fact, I'm usually sitting there hoping someone will start up a conversation. I was reading A Game of Thrones in the hotel bar the other night, and I was thrilled when I went up to the bar for another drink and a dude there asked what I was reading. We had a pleasant conversation despite the fact that he was into horror and I hadn't read any of the books he mentioned.

I think it's an introvert/extrovert thing. People like you and me are naturally extroverts. Despite being a voracious reader (and I know you are too), I would always, always, choose meeting a real life new person over a fictional person. Which is why I don't mind putting down a book to chat with someone on a plane or in an airport. The book can wait til I'm alone in my room, this potentially interesting new person might not. I like to meet people who are very different from me with different interests. I don't care if they're not readers and just want to chat. I like new people.

I'm neither a girl, nor really extraordinarily attractive, and it (fortunately) happens to me, so there's that.

Almost every time I fly (which is moderately often) and occasionally on my daily train commute.

Recently when I was sitting in a Starbucks, reading Nights of Villjamur while I was waiting for someone, a woman asked me where the restrooms are and on her way back she commented on my book and we talked a bit. So it happens.

It might of course have something to do with how you present yourself in that public place. If you hunch over your book and glare at everyone who dares approach you...

I don't. On the contrary, I frequently look at people around me, and smile if someone looks back.

Perhaps it's just a cultural thing. Scandinavians probably have a higher threshold for talking to random strangers than people in most other countries.

I recently blundered horribly trying to explain Anathem to a person who'd never read Stephenson (or any SF, for that matter...). It was embarrassing. They ended up saying 'Atheist monks treasuring knowledge? Not very realistic then, is it?'. It was one of these occasions in which there's too much cultural difference to effectively explain something. I can explain ASOIAF to you, but you have to have at least some kind of history/fantasy background knowledge or it's like speaking to people from another planet...

The story of my life.

I always get the "wow, what a big book!"

To which your reply should be, "the better to beat you with." :P

Honestly though, I don't have a problem with this. I guess it could represent a few embarrassing moments, like say if you were reading Meyer. I find it more amusing (in a good natured way) to discover what people are reading. For example, the Vampire Diaries, or some other tosh.

What?

I love when people ask me what I'm reading! It's an opener to pimp books I like and trash books I don't like, and I can ask them what they are reading. I mean, I love reading but I love discussing books just as much (for instance on internet message boards).

I understand not wanting to be "judged" for reading fantasy, but on the other hand I can't help judging people who enjoy certain romance novels or Terry Goodkin, so as long as it leads to an interesting discussion, I'm game.

One of the main reasons I don't want a Kindle/Nook is cause there's no cover. I want people to see what I'm reading; just in case they've read it too and would like to talk about it.

Do some people actually like it when strangers or casual acquaintances interrupt them to ask what book they're reading?

I break down, start crying, and say, "How can you be so cruel?? Don't you know I can't read??"

Then walk away.

:)

(It rarely happens to me, so I don't mind when people ask.)

I'd liken it to running. When I see somebody running in my neighborhood, I wouldn't dream of stopping them to ask how far they run each day/what their route is/whatever. This would be an especially asinine thing for me to do since I'm not a runner and know little about it. Same goes for interrupting strangers' reading, especially if you're not a reader.

I definitely agree. I once had someone stop me while I was running with headphones on to ask me what kind of stomach exercises I did (when it's sunny I usually run in shorts/sports bra). I was really quite pissed. I was getting close to the end of my run and just starting to kick it into high gear, and since my stomach isn't that great the guy was clearly trying to hit on me. Dude, now is not the fucking time.

I need to get some fake covers, that mnake it look like I'm reading the bible. If someone still persists in asking, I can then start harranguing them, telling them to repent of their sins and return to Almighty God.

:rofl: I should totally do that!

Actually though, I'm not particularly bothered if somebody comes up to me with a purpose while I'm reading--they need directions, they want to know if I saw their lost dog, whatever. But, like Mad Monkey, I don't want to be interrupted for nothing but inane chit-chat with a stranger.

Agreed. I don't even mind if someone has an actual germane comment about the book I'm reading (Oh, I read that book, do you like it?). But small talk? Please, no.

I think it's an introvert/extrovert thing. People like you and me are naturally extroverts. Despite being a voracious reader (and I know you are too), I would always, always, choose meeting a real life new person over a fictional person. Which is why I don't mind putting down a book to chat with someone on a plane or in an airport. The book can wait til I'm alone in my room, this potentially interesting new person might not. I like to meet people who are very different from me with different interests. I don't care if they're not readers and just want to chat. I like new people.

Whereas my thought is that these people are transient in my life, they will have little to no impact on me, and I most of all do not care about them personally and I'm much more interested in whether or not the main character is going to make it across the Chasm of Death or not. Introvert. :)

Introvert here, too.

I often travel by public transport of one way or another and being interrupted in my reading has taught me to keep my reading to places where I can find privacy. So I took to "hearing" books whilst travelling - the "Crypronomicon", "Anathem", "Name Of The Wind" I have thoroughly enjoyed on my IPoD without being interrupted by fellow travellers once.

Reading causes more people to dare to interrupt, IMHO.

I prefer reading in private so I rarely get asked what I'm reading. One semester in university I had to travel from one campus to another and I used to read for about 20-30 minutes while on the bus and tube, but nobody ever interrupted me. People on London transport are usually very quiet, especially on the tube, and a lot of them are either reading something or listening to music, so they hardly pay attention to what anybody else is doing. At least that's how I always feel when I travel in London. While reading in the library I've only been asked a few times about what I'm reading, but my friends and most people who know me realize that I hate to be interrupted, so they usually don't try to start a conversation unless they find the title interesting. Back home my dad sometimes ask me what I'm reading and I usually tell him or point to the cover. Sometimes we start a conversation, but most of the time he doesn't know what to say about the stuff I'm reading. My mother, on the other hand, rarely asks me about what I'm reading. She just comes into my room and starts a conversation... Depending on my mood I either keep the conversation going or listen patiently for a while and then tell her that I'm actually reading something.

I'm surprised that so many of you get interrupted while reading. I imagine that people would not approach readers randomly, but I'm an introverted person so I wouldn't interrupt anyone reading even if I had something to say about the book they were reading. I do, however, often glance at the covers of the books that people are reading on the tube, because I'm very curious to learn what other people's tastes are.

I guess this is one of those things that only happen to beautiful girls.

<- Average-looking male here, but it's happened to me a bunch. And as others have said, with only a couple exceptions, no one ever seems to actually care about the answer. Like I said earlier, it doesn't bother me too much. I do try not to be an ass about it because in some places it's normal for people to talk to you, but I feel self-conscious talking about what I'm reading. Leftover high school-nerd, I guess :dunno: Plus I normally really do want to get back to the book-- people always seem to interrupt at the good parts. I see reading a book like watching a movie: I'll pause for a second, but I don't really want to stop in the middle for small talk.

Archived