Football XXI

Iskaral Pust

come on, lad.

we of the toon army must stick together. and already calling for more thin than thick without a minute played is a right bad attitude, sir! certainly we start the campaign against man u. but, i like our odds. i see a draw! yes, my friend. monday the magpies will draw against man united. you heard it here first!

The last time we started away at man utd with a draw we got relegated!

i only pretend to be pessimistic, some other fans think geordies are deluded so i like to pretend to be a little bit humble. i think we'll be fine, there are a lot of awful teams out there. and carroll will be a revelation.

Can't watch the Scottish Premier League.

Well you're not missing much to be honest. I just watched one SPL game last season, and that was right at the end of the season. And today the most over-hyped game in the history of football takes place: Motherwell-Hibernian. They had a 6-6 draw at the end of last season, so the TV company thinks it'll happen again and is showing it at midday, which is a crap time to have a football match and it'll probably be a goalless draw anyway.

The new MOTD opening titles are horrible by the way. :stillsick:

Well you're not missing much to be honest. I just watched one SPL game last season, and that was right at the end of the season. And today the most over-hyped game in the history of football takes place: Motherwell-Hibernian. They had a 6-6 draw at the end of last season, so the TV company thinks it'll happen again and is showing it at midday, which is a crap time to have a football match and it'll probably be a goalless draw anyway.

I've only watched Old Firm games in full, the last couple of years. I do still trawl through the highlights though. Thankfully i don't get regional TV anymore, so i don't feel the need to watch any of the actual highlights programmes. The dour scottish punditry is god-awful, even more so than regular punditry.

The new MOTD opening titles are horrible by the way. :stillsick:

Yep, they're terrible. What were they thinking? Looks like a bad animation by a final year art student who's short of funds.

Well you're not missing much to be honest. I just watched one SPL game last season, and that was right at the end of the season.

Dundee United will be feeling your support throughout the season!

Came home last night, rather drunk. Put on MOTD. First game on was Blackpool annihilating Wigan. It was truly bizarre to watch it unfold. I watched it again this morning, hoping for a little more clarity, but it still didn't make much sense. Just how bad of a pre-season workout did Wigan have?

Yep, they're terrible. What were they thinking? Looks like a bad animation by a final year art student who's short of funds.

The league table is impossible to read as well. It's like when I watch TV on a June afternoon with the sunlight reflecting off the window. :rolleyes:

Dundee United will be feeling your support throughout the season!

Just how bad of a pre-season workout did Wigan have?

I can support my local team, it doesn't mean I have to enjoy what I'm watching. :P

Wigan played Dundee United actually. :rofl:

Wow that's about the most depressing way possible to draw a game that you've spent 45 minutes with 10 or even 9 men. Oh well, not too bad all things considered I suppose.

That was a big let down. I thought we were going to hang on to claim a victory despite lacking any cohesion going forward. Lucas was very suspect as a replacement for Mascherano. I would not have made that switch at that stage of the game unless Mascherano was injured (he might have been).

Ngog did pretty well again and is still developing. Perhaps they'll teach him the offside rule before the next match.

At least we had some heart today, and the defence felt less nervy, but we need more going forward. And we really lacked an Alonso today. (any chance the Toffees would sell Arteta?)

Spurs vs. City played at a cracking pace in the first half, but neither looked great in front of goal and it fizzled a bit in the second half.

Yeah, Isk, Masch was nursing a small injury in his leg or something.

But I had the impression that the defence looked more together than in a long time, and less nervy is the perfect way to describe it.

I must say, given our past games with Arsenal, playing with one man less, either we've got A LOT better defensively, or Arsenal were playing a sub-par game yesterday. They only started looking dangerous after Rosicky came on, and even then only in the last 10 minutes or so. I was expecting a good buggering in the second half, being one man down, but you really couldn't tell, and Liverpool did not drop as deep as I fear we would have under Benitez.

And what a shame about the goal. It was the second wtf? moment from Reina in a couple of minutes, though. I've never liked the way he equips himself when rushing out / (mis)judging the trajectory of high crosses, and yesterday the consequences were dire.

Props to Ngog. That was the first time I've seen him score on a proper shot. Torres would have been proud.

(any chance the Toffees would sell Arteta?)

Definitely not, especially to Liverpool. He's just signed a new contract and I doubt Liverpool have the money to buy him. Just look at how much money Manchester City wasted on Joleon Lescott.

Sunderland threw away a win, highly disappointing. Cattermole is a good player, but he cost us the game with that red card. Henderson is a really good player though and you'd think we could hold on after going 2 up.

Still need a couple of signings, imo. But it was a confident performance, and we did dominate, if we can play like that again without falling asleep at set-pieces towards the end, I think we'll do really well this year.

Newcastle just kicked off and i am stuck at work. it was going to be my first game watching them on my big new tv in HD with ridiculous surround sound system. Balls. would kill for a draw, or even a good showing narrow defeat. last thing we need is a spanking to start off the season.

What the fuck were we doing playing a meaningless friendly against Blackburn in the middle of competitive matches? Argh. Brown has a knock and our new striker is now out for six weeks. On top of that, I'm reading about how our debt has risen...

Turnover fell 15% to £61.72m and the club made a loss of £2.13m, due to the costs associated with hiring and firing Tony Mowbray's management team. Grrr.

Bring on Utrecht, though. Have to play the big Dane instead of Hooper now, I feel. It's disappointing. Scoring goals is key and we're going to find it difficult if we can't keep our strikers on the pitch. If our players last season had not been so wasteful in front of goal, we would have automatically qualified for the CL, and we would not have had to even think about debt.

*shakes fist*

Also, Rogne picked up an injury playing for Norway's u21s and another one of our top youth talents, Paul Slane ruptured his cruciate ligament in pre-season and has had a successful reconstruction but will be out for about nine months.

Feck it!

/rant

You are doomed. Utrecht will field their full complement of Aussie wunderkind and the bars of green Glasgow will be filled with lamentations and much cursing of Zullo, Sarota and Oar.

Cardiff for promotion? They still have Chopra aswell, who is brilliant at that level, and Peter Whittingham, who scored over 20 goals last season. I can see them scoring lots and lots this season.

Bellamy is the type of player I'd love at Sunderland, I'd much prefer him to Santa Cruz, but if we can get Gyan, I'd be happy enough.

So Özil is off to Madrid. Could be good for him, but more than likely it won't be. A pity, he could develop into a fantastic player. Maybe Real will be a different club under Mourinho, but I doubt it.

Now Werder need a replacement, either going with Hunt or signing someone new, with Wesley of FC Santos apparently being a candidate.

Archived