Footy the 22nd!

MercenaryChef

My point is that it's less of an upset than it otherwise would be. It doesn't tell us a whole lot about the relative strength of both sides. But it does tell us that neither take the league cup that seriously. Don't be glib, the implications are pretty obvious.

Congrats to Newcastle though. Great night for their fans.

My point is that it's less of an upset than it otherwise would be. It doesn't tell us a whole lot about the relative strength of both sides. But it does tell us that neither take the league cup that seriously. Don't be glib, the implications are pretty obvious.

Congrats to Newcastle though. Great night for their fans.

it says that the weakened side of newcastle was stronger today than the weakened side of chelsea. and i for one will fucking drink to that! go toon!

If both sides had weakened sides out, then there's no point in mentioning that they're weakened as neither team received a greater advantage by this supposed predicament. The tournament is garbage, no one takes it seriously in any case. That Chelsea and Newcastle feel this way should come as no surprise. But we go on, and they supposedly played an entertaining match to a usually meaningful conclusion. In this case, it's simply meh. Barring Newcastle winning the thing (highly unlikely), it'll be forgotten in a few weeks time.

Congrats, yea.

Looks like both Chelsea and Newcastle had weakened sides out.

Yeah, but the 'weakened' Chelsea side featured Terry (for the first half - Alex replaced him in the second), Anelka, Ferreira, Zhirkov, Ramires, Benayoun and would have featured Kalou in the second half if he hadn't got injured. The big names in the Newcastle side were, um, Lovenkrands and Ameobi. And Sol Campbell, who apparently ate so many hors d'ouevres at his wedding that this is the first time he's been fit enough to play.

So, still pretty impressive from Newcastle. And from Northampton too. Well done to both. Disappointed that Hearts went out to Falkirk, but we did pretty well to come back from 2-0 down to 3-2 up after going down to ten men. Blew all that good work at the end, though. Need to get the defence sorted out...

i haven't seen liverpool vs northampton match, but i've seen liverpool's lineup and i was very dissapointed, to say the least.

league cup is not high on the club's list of priorities, liverpool is looking at a long season ahead with the league, 2 english cups and europa league and that squad rotation is essential under those circumstances, but fielding 11 players who hadn't played vs man utd and who have most probably never played together (i don't count a couple of practices) is just outrageous.

do try the youngsters out, do rest the best two or three players, but don't EVER rest an entire starting lineup. and with cole, torres and gerrard begging for matches to find some of their lost form at least one or two of them should have played.

liverpool showed no respect to an opponent and i for one am glad northampton went through, even though liverpool is my favourite english team for 12-13 years now (and counting)

Archived