UK Politics VIII

Maltaran

He's the chief idiot of a party of assorted idiots, one rife with racism but utterly devoid of any actual ideas. Their main policy is to carry on like fractious schoolchildren: if you liked that, you'd love his colleague chanting 'ein volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer' while another MEP was trying to speak. (Because he was German, you see. This passes for wit amongst these morons.)

Isn't he the guy who also crashed the 1 man plan he was driving due to stupidity with a trailing banner.

Yes and no. It was a two-man plane and he was the passenger. It was still his stupid banner that made the pilot crash, though.

You mean unlike all the other celebrities, socialites and reality show contestants?

I really can't see how it is that you've come to hate the royals that much. Personally I regard the royal family and all that as an essential part of our country's heritage and identity. Also you know what happened the last time England was a republic? Oliver Cromwell cancelled Christmas.

-Poobs

This is probably way too old but I do believe that you can be a staunch republican without hating the royal family. Personally I think the monarchy is a hopelessly outdated institution, left over from the bad old days which we have moved on from. It seems to me calling the Royal Family essential not only imparts on them a value they do not have in this day and age, but also diminishes the value of your "ordinary citizen". What exactly are they doing that is essential? Do they implant a value in the nation that it would keenly miss if they were not there? (and I am not talking commemorative mugs here)

I also think that while Cromwell was hardly universally good news, a modern republic would be quite a different beast and in most ways not unlike what is already here.

FYI I also oppose the Swedish royals whom I consider pointless, of no use and of little to none cultural use.

The UK has a long and proud tradition, completely indepentent from its Royals.

Meh.

In general I just kinda like them where they are. They don't do much but they add to the aesthetic of the place. I do, specifically, very much like the current queen, however. She seems like a great moderate and thoroughly sensible British person, does good ambassadorial shit, looks good on money, and brings her hilarious husband trailing around after her.

Meh.

In general I just kinda like them where they are. They don't do much but they add to the aesthetic of the place. I do, specifically, very much like the current queen, however. She seems like a great moderate and thoroughly sensible British person, does good ambassadorial shit, looks good on money, and brings her hilarious husband trailing around after her.

I agree with you on Lizzie. She seems competent and sensible and does a good job. As the monarchy is hereditary though, would you be as happy with a King Charles with Queen Camilla at his side? You may get lucky with monarchy (as evidenced in Liz and also perhaps in the spanish monarch) or you may get unlucky (examples too numerous to go into). The problem is you cannot remove them if you are not happy with them, since they're born into their position.

A president could do the same thing a King/Queen does, but if you don't like him/her, you can get rid of them during the next election. Maybe I am naive in thinking that a republic is fairer than a monarchy in the regard that a president is mainly elevated due to his ability, and not by accident of birth (without touching on why GWB was elected, mind you).

There's a difference between being 'moderate' and keeping quiet about your political opinions out of well-judged self-interest. The Queen has managed to be married to Philip for many years: do you really think someone who was 'moderate' in their views could manage that? The rest of her family have some very conservative views too. Some of them have the sense to keep them quiet, some don't.

"Just who the hell do you think you people are?! You are very, very dangerous people, indeed." :lol:

He wasn't bad on HIGNFY, as I recall.

But then neither was James Blunt... :dunno:

There's a difference between being 'moderate' and keeping quiet about your political opinions out of well-judged self-interest. The Queen has managed to be married to Philip for many years: do you really think someone who was 'moderate' in their views could manage that? The rest of her family have some very conservative views too. Some of them have the sense to keep them quiet, some don't.

To be fair, it is known that Liz disliked Thatcher.

What's she gonna do when she finds out she's married to a crazy person? Divorce him? <_<

Archived