The NFL Thread 9

Mya Stone

I understand the folks who don't follow the Pats not getting my comment, but I would have thought the fans would have seen the truth of it in a glance. Ah well.

There is a lot to this comment; we lost to Cleveland and that was the first time we saw that QB. Same was true with Flynn. Fitzpatrick for the Bills passed all over us (but he IS a Harvard graduate).

At the same time, the Pats also played the Lions with a brand-new QB, had some problems in the first half and no problems at all in the second. Flynn was also running the same offense that Rodgers had been running all season. The reality is that the Patriots cannot stop anyone on third down, not just new QBs. We are the absolute worst on stopping 3rd down conversions. That's true for Flynn, Manning, Sanchez (at least the first game), Rivers, Fitzpatrick, Flacco etc. The fact that its a brand new QB is irrelevant. The poor performance last night is indicative not of a system that cannot deal with a new QB; its indicative of a system that cannot stop anyone on third down.

There does seem to be a pattern, but there's not much to discuss.though you'd think that game planning against bad quarterbacks shouldn't be that hard.

Belichick game plans specifically for someones (perceived) weaknesses. When he does not have any learned tendencies to go from, he plays a base defense with little variation. Anyone good enough to make an NFL roster as a quarterback can shred such.

I think the tendency to play vanilla against unknown quantities is a huge weakness in Belichick's coaching. (Although it would be rare that such could occur in the playoffs.)

Brett Favre changed from Out to Questionable

Early Monday afternoon, the Vikings announced that Favre has been upgraded from “out” to “questionable” for tonight’s matchup with the Chicago Bears.

Favre will be worked out 2 1/2 hours before game time, and Vikings medical staff will determine his status then. According to Albert Breer of the NFL Network, Favre attended Saturday’s walk-through practice in sweats.

Really says a lot about Webb, I think, that they're considering playing Favre. You know the guy won't be happy handing the ball off to Peterson all night long. Also knew the attention whore couldn't just sit idly by during his final Monday night game.

Can anyone explain to me broadcast rights and television markets?

As I was tucked away in the confines of NAFTA HQ in Montgomery County MD, I had my choice of Sexy Rexy on Fox or Peyton Manning on CBS. Why did I get Colts instead of the Voldemort Ravens, which is the other team in my market? Can Washington and Voldemort not be broadcast on tv at the same time? I'm pretty sure they have been previously in the season. Or was it because they were playing New Orleans and so Fox had dibs instead of CBS?

Do you have a comp with a broadband connec handy? You can watch NFL online for free.

So tonight's game should be fun. Crazy stadium, Vikes at home outside, Bears needing a win to clinch NFC north. If only Favre were starting!

OK, I'm an NFC North whore. I like both these teams. But definitely going to be a Vikings/Gophers fan tonight! Also they're playing at home, their dome roof ripped and that totally sucks and I've got sympathy for that. Having a bad season - no sympathy, but a broken stadium absolutely.

CHI favored by 6.5 pts. I would take MN with those odds. This seems like a toss up game. So many variables. Certainly Bears have a hell of a lot more on the line and after last weeks routing will not be overlooking this match up.

July: Bruce Allen, talking to Comcast SportsNet, says the Redskins see Donovan McNabb "as part of our future...and we think he's gonna be a great Redskin for years to come." December: Home replica Donovan McNabb jerseys go on sale for $39.95, half off the normal price. That means his jersey is half the price of a Malcolm Kelly, Chris Horton OR JOEY GALLOWAY jersey. The only other player whose jersey is listed at half price is Albert Haynesworth.

UPDATE: From Redskins PR:

"Upon discovering that a third-party vendor made a decision to reduce the price of the jerseys, we had it corrected immediately, and we apologize for the error. Both replica and authentic McNabb jerseys are now full price."

Ahahahahaha, ahem.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/12/mcnabb_jersey_prices_slashed.html

arrowfan, I do. I never even thought to look for the game online.

Brett Favre changed from Out to Questionable

I have heard a very good conspiracy theory on this. It goes something like this ...

Changing an injury report in this manner - going from "Out" to "Questionable" would normally have resulted in an immediately investigation of any team doing this- its a clear violation of league policy. But it was done BECAUSE the Sterger investigation is over and its pretty obvious that Favre sexually harassed this woman and sent pictures of his junk to her. Over the phone. Like an idiot. Anyway, Goodell was on Sunday Night Football last night and Costas asked him the money question, namely, that even if you suspend Favre it will be for games he would miss on IR anyway. Goodell dodged the question clumsily (Goodell is doing something he is used to: covering up for white quarterbacks involved in indiscretions with women). But this was because the plan had already been hatched.

Goodall cannot really suspend a player for two games who is already on IR; that's just lame. So he contacts the Vikings and lets them know that the two game suspension is going to happen. The Vikings and Favre both agree to take the two game suspension. But in order to make it seem like a legit sanction (which it is not), they agree to "upgrade" Favre from "Out" to "questionable" FOR THE EXPRESS PURPOSE of having him be suspended for the last two games of his career. His storied, highly questionable, extremely media-tailored and publicity-enhanced, INT-filled career.

Thanks beautiful.

I have heard a very good conspiracy theory on this. It goes something like this ...

Changing an injury report in this manner - going from "Out" to "Questionable" would normally have resulted in an immediately investigation of any team doing this- its a clear violation of league policy. But it was done BECAUSE the Sterger investigation is over and its pretty obvious that Favre sexually harassed this woman and sent pictures of his junk to her. Over the phone. Like an idiot. Anyway, Goodell was on Sunday Night Football last night and Costas asked him the money question, namely, that even if you suspend Favre it will be for games he would miss on IR anyway. Goodell dodged the question clumsily (Goodell is doing something he is used to: covering up for white quarterbacks involved in indiscretions with women). But this was because the plan had already been hatched.

Goodall cannot really suspend a player for two games who is already on IR; that's just lame. So he contacts the Vikings and lets them know that the two game suspension is going to happen. The Vikings and Favre both agree to take the two game suspension. But in order to make it seem like a legit sanction (which it is not), they agree to "upgrade" Favre from "Out" to "questionable" FOR THE EXPRESS PURPOSE of having him be suspended for the last two games of his career. His storied, highly questionable, extremely media-tailored and publicity-enhanced, INT-filled career.

Is that you, Jesse Ventura?

His storied, highly questionable, extremely media-tailored and publicity-enhanced, INT-filled career.

Well the truth is, what difference does it make if he's got a 2 game suspension and is on IR/out for game 2 games before he retires? You're saying if he was out for the last 2 games due to injury before retiring that the NFL might fine him instead? ...and because of this he convinced the Vikes to change his status???

As for your digs at Favre... sorry, nothing questionable about starting every game in the NFL for 20 years, 70,000 passing yards, and a superbowl ring.

As for your digs at Favre... sorry, nothing questionable about starting every game in the NFL for 20 years, 70,000 passing yards, and a superbowl ring.

Especially if the bulk of that was done with a painkiller addiction.

He's starting tonight, Bee Tee Dubs.

heh, sounds like because of conditions they are holding Petersen out. But rickety old man Favre plays? Ratings. Hanging Judge Goodell:

"Brett, we won't suspend you for sending pictures of your junk. But you need to go out and play tonight. Here, have a few vicodin"

:P

At least now I don't have to have conflicted feelings about my fantasy playoffs. Going into tonight I was losing by 1 point with Peterson and Johnny Knox to play on my team vs. the Bears defense on the other team. That's just a disgusting situation for a Bears fan in a game his team needs to win.

There is something great about a night outdoor football game in Minnesota. Let's face it, the Metrodome, like all domes, kills the ambiance of football. Makes it feel synthetic, like Arena League. Football's meant to be played in the elements. Starts in summer and ends in the dead of winter. Minnesota in December is where the game should be. Can't imagine it's all that different from Lambeau in December.

Just hope Kluwe's being overly dramatic when he talks about the field...

Archived