The NFL Thread 9

Mya Stone

When the players drag their feet on the turf, what is the dark dust that comes up? I don't have HD, watching online so I can't tell.

I think every field in the NFL was re-turfed with this new almost sand-like turf that pebbles up when players drag their feet. Its easier to mark the balls, etc and is more forgiving on cuts etc (torn ACLs, etc).

. And yet *another* 4th Q 3-4pt loss for the fudge packers

Well, first and foremost, the Pack was playing the supposed "best" team in football (many may be asking for a recount after tonight), on the road and was using their back-up QB. How many other teams in the NFL could expect to do THAT well under the circumstances? The Pack did AMAZING on third down- 11 for 19! The Pats were 4 for 10! That was Flynn at his finest. The bad clock management was only apparent at the very tail end. Frankly, there is no law that says you can only spend time outs on the last drive of the half; there were solid reasons for the Packs' time outs (especially their last- Fletcher's (?) sack).

Overall, the Pats won because 1) Tom Brady, 2) the goal-line stand to start the fourth quarter (cannot stress that one enough), 3) Connolly's KO return, 4) the INT ret for a TD, 5a) Fletcher's sack, and 5b) Chung's tackle to make it fourth and 1 instead of 1st and 10. The Pats had to make all that happen to win this game and it was still an unsure affair up to the bitter, bitter end. If ANY of those things are not present; Pack could have EASILY walked away with the W.

Good game from Flynn though, right up until the end. Pats lucked out there.

Well no, the best teams hang in there and oppurtunise (sp) on the other team's mistakes.

edit: is that even a word or....a sentence for that matter? too drunk to bother :shocked: Capitalize on - thats the word i was looking for

The Atlanta Falcons (12-2) deserve a lot more press than their getting. I guess the analysts are too busy slobbering all over the New England Patriots and the Philadelphia Eagles.

There was lots of good football this Sunday. I decided to watch Jags @ Colts instead of Eagles @ Giants, which was a mistake. However, I really enjoyed Jets @ Steelers, and was pleasantly surprised by SNF.

The Atlanta Falcons (12-2) deserve a lot more press than their getting. I guess the analysts are too busy slobbering all over the New England Patriots and the Philadelphia Eagles.

There was lots of good football this Sunday. I decided to watch Jags @ Colts instead of Eagles @ Giants, which was a mistake. However, I really enjoyed Jets @ Steelers, and was pleasantly surprised by SNF.

Meh... the Falcons beat the Seahawks- a horrible, horrible team; both the Pats and Eagles defeated teams with winning records (at least). The Falcons are also hailed by the media for being the forerunner for the NFC; and the only reason the Falcons are not immedaitely put ahead of the Eagles or in the same ratified air as the Pats is that the falcons lost to the Eagles and the Pats have defeated every single relevant team in the AFC, save only the Chiefs (Steelers, Ravens, Jets, Chargers, Colts)- clearly something the Falcons cannot say.

The Falcons are defiantly getting their due, as well they should.

By the way- how could we have gone so far in this thread without expounding on the results of the Sex Cannon? 25 of 43 for 322 yards, 4TDs and two INTs. He played ... not horrible! And if that's not a step-up for the Redskins and Grossman, I don't know what is ...

I do think it's interesting that the possibly two best teams in the league New England and Philly have awful defenses. Both feed off spectacular QB play but if they don't get a big lead early they can be exposed.

All that said I still think both teams are better than Atlanta. Atlanta seems like a team that does everything well but if you watch their offense it's just so much less varied and spectacular than Philly or New England. Think against a good, well schemed team that's able to lock down Roddy White and pack the middle against Michael Turner they can stop Atlanta. And withouut the big time of possession edge they have in most of their games I think the defense will regress to just average.

But they're so good at home we might not see that until the Superbowl. All that said, if Michael Vick goes back to Atlanta I'd bet he torches them.

By the way- how could we have gone so far in this thread without expounding on the results of the Sex Cannon? 25 of 43 for 322 yards, 4TDs and two INTs. He played ... not horrible! And if that's not a step-up for the Redskins and Grossman, I don't know what is ...

Caliban needed a smoke after that.

Agree it was definitely a step up and was especially impressed with how the Sex Cannon performed in the red zone throwing into tight windows (I'm sure there's a joke here but it's too early for me to come up with it). All the Skins were raving about Grossman's intensity which is I guess, how the seduction beguns. But before we all get too far along in a sex cannon orgy I think it's important to point out he was still responsible for 3 turnovers.

Don't get me wrong think he infused some life into the team and I'm interested to see what he does his second time out. But against the Cowboys Good Rexy and Bad Rexy were just two sides of the same coin.

The fullback wham/dive on the goal line has to be the WORST playcall in football.

Everything else relies on it though. The other stuff works because defenders pack it in tight to prevent the dive. You gotta do it to keep them honest.

It's a pretty bad 4th down or 2-point conversion play. But you don't see it there very often.

I wonder if all of Wisconsin is singing along with me right now.

"Come all without, Come all within. You ain't seen nothin' like the Matty Flynn"

Probably not. :leaving:

I understand the folks who don't follow the Pats not getting my comment, but I would have thought the fans would have seen the truth of it in a glance. Ah well.

Also, Atari Bigby is the best name in the NFL.

I understand the folks who don't follow the Pats not getting my comment, but I would have thought the fans would have seen the truth of it in a glance. Ah well.

Also, Atari Bigby is the best name in the NFL.

There does seem to be a pattern, but there's not much to discuss.though you'd think that game planning against bad quarterbacks shouldn't be that hard.

Can anyone explain to me broadcast rights and television markets?

As I was tucked away in the confines of NAFTA HQ in Montgomery County MD, I had my choice of Sexy Rexy on Fox or Peyton Manning on CBS. Why did I get Colts instead of the Voldemort Ravens, which is the other team in my market? Can Washington and Voldemort not be broadcast on tv at the same time? I'm pretty sure they have been previously in the season. Or was it because they were playing New Orleans and so Fox had dibs instead of CBS?

Kair, it was because they were playing NO and NO was away. Fox and CBS have joint rights to NFL games, and one of the rules is that if a NFC team is playing at an AFC team (and vice versa) the away team's sponsors have the rights to the game. This is to allow both networks access to all stadiums in the course of a season. CBS of course has AFC rights, Fox has NFC rights.

It's an odd rule at first but makes sense when explained that way.

Archived