The Good Wife

Datepalm

That was a rather stellar episode (even with the return the the well with Kalinda...).

The resolution to the will(s) was the only thing that rang hollow. It was simply just...there...of course, I get that the episode wasn't about the money. It was absolutely about sex, power and the ability to manipulate those things. The insight to Will's reaction to Alicia's betrayal, being able to see it and how he sees it, juxtaposed with Alicia's view of events only highlighting the angst level...hell, I even get that the bit with Kalinda was another aspect of the same type of thing, but really? Did we need to see her in the same sitaution again? And looking less like she's capable of even faking enjoying herself?

I'm a sucker for a series episode during the holiday season that includes the fact that it is or soon will be Christmas, while not making Christmas itself the focus of the episode, but more part of the pressures and the set too. So right there this episode had me.

They even had a hint of the classic comedy trope of characters coming and going and just missing each other, re the Florrick-Argos firm Christmas party, invites and guests.

Those were heavy breathing scenes that Will remembers in pain and in rage. The girl he's with is as far away from Alicia as he could find, all right. She's going to be crushed like a sugar cube when the time comes that Will can no longer stand her.

All the parts of this episode worked very well for this viewer, with the exception, as others already have commented, the Kalinda arc. They really don't know what to do with her now, having started with a character already so over the top in the first season, playing sex and violence in equal extreme measure to do her job.

But this danged hiatus now -- why do they do that? By the time it comes back I'll have forgotten what happened in this episode, even though the team says that the January episode will pick up right at the moment this one left off. What? With Eli spitting?

Upon further reflection there's this, which it feels to me is something that was more effective to see, in a short flashback scene now, than as part of the episodes of season 2. I'm thinking particularly of the balcony scene.

In that scene Alicia was a fully charged and armed sex goddess, beautiful and desirable in every way, which, when a woman experiences those moments in her life, makes her indeed desirable to all men in every way -- and she knows it. It gives her the power via being in full confidence of her power. That knowledge, that power, is fleeting, but it's marvelous and every woman, if she's fortunate, has these phrases in her life, at least once or twice. Every woman deserves to.

So yes, Alicia would be spectacularly compelling to Ashbaugh back then, because she is spectacularly compelling to everyone, including Kalinda -- and not necessarily because Kalinda is bi/lesbian, but because Kalinda is drawn to power.

I loved that this phrase in a woman's life was shown us in that balcony scene.

All the parts of this episode worked very well for this viewer, with the exception, as others already have commented, the Kalinda arc. They really don't know what to do with her now, having started with a character already so over the top in the first season, playing sex and violence in equal extreme measure to do her job.

I'm just not getting Archie Panjabi's portrayal. She's just so dead eyed. Even in scenes where we see her likely in bed with someone because she's truly wanting to be, she looks like someone just shot her dog in front of her.

I get that the tone is a little more somber and there is the idea Kalinda is dealing with the little world she's built at LG (*snicker*) having crumbled (Alicia and Cary gone, Will on a rampage)...but really. Get a grip. Has Kalinda ever actually smiled?

I'm just not getting Archie Panjabi's portrayal.

Maybe she's exhausted? Judging by her IMDB page, she's been working like crazy all through, presumably 2012, to have this many appearances on that many different shows in 2013. The only one I've seen though, was The Fall, which featured Gillian Anderson. Panjabi's role in The Fall was as far from Kalinda as she could possible get, which certainly added another dimension of interest for me in watching her on screen presence in it.

Still, I think it's the fault of the Kings. They are stymied as to any further development with Kalinda, especially as they're getting stacked up with all these other characters they have added throughout the seasons, and then the complications of elections, rival law firms, the children, and all the rest. They have dropped plot elements more than once during the seasons.

I really like how this show throws in stuff that women have to deal with and is completely under-represented in media, but not in a way that it's the focus of the show. Choice between family and career. Pregnancy nausea and/or having to deal with practicalities like that (even if shown as ridiculous), older men being distracted and noticing young women, women's intended (or unintended) sexual power/politics and the consequences thereof.

Also, Christine Baranski is my hero. I love that they're actually showing women in the age demographics who are actually powerful, intelligent, and established in their careers, not only early 20's little girls who are super human in their composure and have jobs which usually take decades to achieve.

I'd really like them to get back to focusing on interesting Kalinda storylines as she's consistently been a fan favourite - for a reason. And the whole naming the baby Peter - priceless!!!! :lmao:

I'd really like them to get back to focusing on interesting Kalinda storylines as she's consistently been a fan favourite - for a reason. And the whole naming the baby Peter - priceless!!!! :lmao:

I've recently decided that, because we know next to nothing about Melissa George's character outside of the office, that we'll find out either her husband or tather is named Peter. Just to muddy the waters. Heh.

I have just seen episodes 9 and 10, and I really enjoyed them. Overall, this season is doing rather great, IMO, but there are few missteps. Carey has become dull, and am I seeing the troubles in Florrick/Agos given Alicia's comment about stopping to work together. Eli is also going from brilliant to not so much. The way I would handle Jackie is very simple. Threaten her to tell Peter and she would be quiet. I mean, the entire Supreme judgeship is now so boring. First he rejected Diane because of Alicia, now Rachel because of Jackie, who is next? Someone that did something to Grace or Zack? But, also, as for Eli, I totally cracked on the last scene of episode 10.

New guy? Not sure about that. I should like him, but somehow it isn't working for me. Kalinda is also starting to growing on me these days. Overall, with few small things, the show is rather brilliant this season. As for Will/Alicia, it has been done perfectly. I adore this new relationship between them. it's amazing.

And, for the end, I am a bit confused by the endings of both episode 9 and 10. Especially with the judge calling Alicia on date.

Well, SAG nominations are out, and TGW got zero nominations. Do I even need to ask WTH is wrong with them? Someone better come up with decent solution before I start breaking things around. :)

Well, SAG nominations are out, and TGW got zero nominations. Do I even need to ask WTH is wrong with them? Someone better come up with decent solution before I start breaking things around. :)

SAG usually nominates things by default on TV- every nominee in the Ensemble part of TV had already been nominated before apart from Veep.

Also, if your show has most characters speaking with British accents, you're an automatic nominee, even if it's just a soap opera.

SAG usually nominates things by default on TV- every nominee in the Ensemble part of TV had already been nominated before apart from Veep.

Also, if your show has most characters speaking with British accents, you're an automatic nominee, even if it's just a soap opera.

I imagine you are right... But, I was really astonished with Julliana's performance this year, and not just hers. Christine Baranski was also superb. But, when we see the nominees in Drama Actress, there is at least one or two places free for Julianna. As much as I think Maggie Smith is a legend, her role in season 3 was far from the best, and Kerry Washington, IMO, was a bit worse than Julianna. The other three ladies are good... But, Alicia is kicking some serious asses this year, and I counted on SAG members to acknowledge that given that she has been awarded and nominee so many times before.

Josh Charles also got a nomination.

Yeap, I missed that... Nice, I loved his performance in Ep. 5... Well, it's strange... From 0 on SAGs to 3 on Golden Globes... I actually thought that Margulies had a better chances in SAGs...

Archived