The Good Wife

Datepalm

I just watched the previews for next week and, oh gods, why did I do that? The next episode will be very painful, particularly the interactions between our two favorite ladies.

And I think the most cruel thing about all this was

how Will was the only one to believe in that brat, and look at where that took him...

Still, I am happy that apparently Matthew Goode is to be a series regular now.

Wow, that was one of the most out of left field endings I've ever seen. This is TGW's "They Killed Ned" moment, if Ned's death had totally come out of left field.

I was hoping they would bury for good the love triangle that had long past it's point of being interesting, but I didn't think they would take such drastic measures.

Normally I think actors leaving great shows on their own like that, when the show is far from finished with them, but Josh Charles is talented and charismatic enough to get big roles somewhere else. I just hope he goes the HBO or the next TGW route rather than get some dull CBS procedural to cash-in.

I can't wait to see where this goes next.

After all your "wows" I kinda expected something like that, but it still hit me hard. Can't wait to see how it goes from here. Next episode's preview was heartbreaking.

And the most ironic thing was that the guy seemed to be innocent after all, he just couldn't stand the tension anymore.

Diane seems to be scrambling to fill up the empty seat at the top of the firm...(bringing in Canning?) is Lockhart/Florick/Agos an option?

I forgot about something...

I don't think that LFA is impossible. Remember the episode 14 when Elsabeth speaks about the firm run by 2 partner women? Perhaps that was the foreshadowing for Lockhart/Florrick alliance. That is something I see Diane doing, using feminist perspective to recreate her firm and allying with Alicia. Just add two Careys, David Lee and Howland Lyman to the pot and you get one hell of a ride :)

Also, Angalin, Datepalm, can we please stop using the spoiler tags? :)

I don't know if he was truly that innocent; all the evidence seemed to point that he wasn't. Everyone but Will thought he was guilty, which is the true tragedy of this whole thing. I think they were very smart in casting a handsome young actor who manages to play the part of innocent wonderfully, to better leave us uncertain of the truth; it certainly worked for me. I don't care about whatever the truth was/turns out to be anymore, his actions make him guilty.

Wtf was the problem with that cop, though? What kind of professional leaves his gun within the reach of a possible criminal - or anyone but himself, really?

Edit: the actor, Hunter Parrish, has talked about the scene. There are some minor spoilers for the next episode.

Wtf was the problem with that cop, though? What kind of professional leaves his gun within the reach of a possible criminal - or anyone but himself, really?

I mean, it was done for plot convenience. No cop would leave their gun unclipped like that when there is no real threat. It's a huge no no.

I guess, ultimately, I just wasn't a massive fan of Will and him moving on is fine for me. The death in a diff show hit me a lot harder and came out of left field a lot more than this for me.

I mean, it was done for plot convenience. No cop would leave their gun unclipped like that when there is no real threat. It's a huge no no.

I guess, ultimately, I just wasn't a massive fan of Will and him moving on is fine for me. The death in a diff show hit me a lot harder and came out of left field a lot more than this for me.

This is the type of show that just might address that kind of apparent slip up though. Who knows? There may be something with the baliff later on. Maybe not, but this show could do it.

This is the type of show that just might address that kind of apparent slip up though. Who knows? There may be something with the baliff later on. Maybe not, but this show could do it.

Oh I'm sure there will be something. I think the next episode is focused on "how did this happen" and the reactions to it.

I know what you're talking about and that was definitely a surprise too (not to mention quite impactful), but for me this was the most surprising thing I have ever watched on TV. I don't remember being this surprised at a death, ever...

The way they showed it was excellent as well. In hindsight, it was quite deliberate manipulation, almost flat out lying to the viewer, but it was very effective. The way Kalinda and Dianne were somewhat relaxed in front of the wrong room, with someone on the background saying things like "We got you, you are OK"... and of course in my mind, I am not even contemplating the possibility of Will dying, so what i'm seeing makes perfect sense..heh...

When Kalinda started walking and we see that foot without the shoe, I basically reacted like one of those people in the Red Wedding reactions videos.

I know what you're talking about and that was definitely a surprise too (not to mention quite impactful), but for me this was the most surprising thing I have ever watched on TV. I don't remember being this surprised at a death, ever...

It's all about marketing and what you see vs don't see when catching previews. In the other show, I hadn't seen any of the previews, had no idea that a death might be coming and was caught completely off guard though in retrospect, it made sense for the character at that point. In this show, the whole marketing leading up to this episode was all about how the next three episodes (last two plus this one) will be an arc, that the show has never done anything like this before, and it'd be a game changer. With all the focus on Will, I was fairly sure something would happen to him so I wasn't really all that surprised. That and I just didn't care much about Will's character as much as I did the other character in the other show so the impact was different.

Still, The Good Wife did a good job keeping it under wraps and setting it up and I'm sure the aftermath will be amazing drama.

It didn't really hit me until Kalinda pulled the sheet back. Then it was "are you serious..." Yup, they were. From a storytelling point of view, this really opens things up beautifully. Without any mention of a death, I'd heard that Alicia would be reconnecting with Diane to support her, and am relieved to have it not be Diane getting cancer or similar.

The thing that struck me most in the preview for the rest of the season were Alicia's clothes when she's talking to Peter in the kitchen: she's never looked so rumpled. Very indicative of her grief and loss of self-control: a good touch.

Still, The Good Wife did a good job keeping it under wraps and setting it up and I'm sure the aftermath will be amazing drama.

True.Unlike the RW episode where half of the fandom knew what's going to happen, where the Internet was so crazy the days before "Rains of Castamere" episode, nothing was shock. I mean, if somehow some 10% of the fandom didn't know what's going to happen, the rest certainly knew or at least was prepared for something huge. With this, I was completely blown away. I wasn't able to track down all the previews and marketing but nonetheless this was rather shocking twist that certainly served its purpose. I imagine that the aftermath of Will's death is, as Angalin said, from storytelling POV, a delicious treat and with talented cast TGW has, one can only hope for the best.

It didn't really hit me until Kalinda pulled the sheet back. Then it was "are you serious..." Yup, they were.

This was also my moment when I realized he is actually dead. I mean, when I saw the shoe in the courtroom, I was like "he is fine", then when Kalinda moved into the courtroom and saw blood and Will shot, I was yet again "OK, he will be fine, no worries". Then in the hospital, I was just expecting to see him either laughing for surviving or being somber and saying something like "I trusted him". That all being said, I worked out through all possible cliches in the book :) But, when I saw the sheet, I knew it, and I was "wait the second, if he is alive, they wouldn't cover his head" and then I started saying some words I will not repeat :)... All in all, wonderful road of misleading us to the point that we are actually surprised that man with GSW into his chest actually died!!!

Also, has anyone noticed Eli's reaction to the phone call. That is something we haven't discussed but it shows the progress since the Eli Gold who listened Will's message and deleted it (Season 1 or 2, right?) I really liked how they paralleled those two scenes with Eli's different reaction showing how he grew to like or at least care for Alicia.

The way they showed it was excellent as well. In hindsight, it was quite deliberate manipulation, almost flat out lying to the viewer, but it was very effective. The way Kalinda and Dianne were somewhat relaxed in front of the wrong room, with someone on the background saying things like "We got you, you are OK"... and of course in my mind, I am not even contemplating the possibility of Will dying, so what i'm seeing makes perfect sense..heh...

When Kalinda started walking and we see that foot without the shoe, I basically reacted like one of those people in the Red Wedding reactions videos.

:agree:

Hindsight is a b*tch; if you think about how this episode was so focused on Will, and how they went through a lot of trouble to make sure he had a last happy interaction with the three ladies in his life, no matter how unlikely that sounded in some cases, it makes you want to go like this :bang: for not taking the opportunity to avoid pain over fictional characters when you could. I guess no one really thought this was a show that would kill its male lead before the final episodes.

True.Unlike the RW episode where half of the fandom knew what's going to happen, where the Internet was so crazy the days before "Rains of Castamere" episode, nothing was shock. I mean, if somehow some 10% of the fandom didn't know what's going to happen, the rest certainly knew or at least was prepared for something huge. With this, I was completely blown away.

Not only that, but the RW, even when reading the books, was something you could see coming for hundreds of pages before it actually happened, because the characters' choices was what caused that. In TGW, while there were some clues that something would go very wrong, they were very scattered and only present in the episode itself; plus, it wasn't really something that depended on Will's actions, it was entirely the consequence of a moment's desperation on the guy's part and the convenient carelessness of a cop. Not to mention all the red herrings: Alicia's mother and brother trying to convince them both of just accepting their feelings or whatever, leading us to believe Willicia was inevitably how their narratives would end; Kalinda telling Will she would be leaving her job creating the notion that something terrible would happen to her; all of his and Diane's plans for LG, plus the rivalry with Florrick/Agos...

The one funny thing about this is that people are calling this event the Red Trial :bawl:

Also, has anyone noticed Eli's reaction to the phone call. That is something we haven't discussed but it shows the progress since the Eli Gold who listened Will's message and deleted it (Season 1 or 2, right?) I really liked how they paralleled those two scenes with Eli's different reaction showing how he grew to like or at least care for Alicia.

The part of me that wasn't on the verge of tears watching that scene was simply terrified that Eli would start jumping about happily that, without Will, it was more likely wouldn't be charged with fraud. I love his friendship with Alicia, it's one of my favorites on the show. And as devastated as I am over Will's death, I'm hoping we might have her get closer to all the relevant friends (Diane, Kalinda, Cary, and Eli himself) as a consequence.

A quick thought: I was discussing the Lockhart/Florrick/Agos possibility with a friend, and she thinks that, if it happens, it will actually be Lockhart/Cavanaugh/Agos. Alicia will get a divorce, that's pretty much inevitable, but will she change her name, when she is already so well-known as Florrick? (unless there is any US or Illinois laws on this subject I'm not aware of, but I remember at least one politician in Brazil who kept her ex-husband's name after the divorce)

Archived