NFL thread lucky 13

davos

Cheering for the Packers. Feels a little weird, but hey.

So it was your fault!

We are all Packer fans now. We cannot have a Todd Collins Super Bowl.

A sentiment I think Bears fans were going with when he came into the game...

I wonder if Jaxom or Kal are in a coma yet.

It's going to be hell at work tomorrow...

What if Cutler lost his job to Hanie?

Oh I can't wait to sit through those calls on the radio all summer...

Pick!!!!!

I told you it was your fault!

That sucked.

Lovie and Martz having their insanely stupid loyalty to Collins, when he should have been cut after his pathetic performance against Carolina earlier this year, really hurt the Bears. If Hanie had been on the field after the Urlacher interception, might have been a completely different game.

When I envisioned the biggest issue for the Bears in today's game to be some of the game time coaching decisions, this wasn't the one I had in mind. But you're right.

If I were a packers fan I would be deadly worried that the 3rd string qb of the bears, for crying out loud, almost beat you.

Cutler wasn't great but he wasn't bad. He wasn't the reason the bears lost. Hell, he played about as effectively as Brady did. Only an idiot would pin that on him.

I find it inexplicable why the Packers didn't throw the dagger the minute Collins, and then Hanie, stepped onto the field. Releasing the pressure instead of upping it almost did them in...

Outside of the first couple of series it was an ugly, defensive game. Still its a win and a trip to the superbowl so I'm not going to complain. Ok, maybe I will since I think the tension has taken at least a few weeks off my lifespan.

Its been an epic run as a 6th seed having to win every game on the road.

4 road games for the Pack. Chicago to get into the playoffs, now three road playoff games. I did pick them at the start of the season (I never thought the Bears would be where they were), so I'm not all that surprised in the end...

I'd much rather see the Packers win it all than any of the AFC teams, but I'd really like to see the Jets make it.

Totally agree with this. I think that if the Jets get in, the Packers have a chance to rout. If they play the Steelers, we have the chance for an epic Superbowl...

Not even close by any means, but whatever. I know plenty of people love to hate on Cutler. Enjoy your day.

We did. We did.

It's okay - I feel bad for Pats fans who are associated with Pats fans, and I really feel bad for Pats fans who found out the hard way that Brady couldn't win the big game and relied way too much on his defense and kicking game.

Amusing stat: Cutler (1/1 in the playoffs) has a better winning % than Brady in the playoffs since the last superbowl win. Clearly this means something, to quote Rock.

Ugh... this is as bad an argument as saying that the reason Cutler is a good post-season QB now is because he beat the Seahawks last week.

Cutler looked great against Seattle last week.

Ouch ...

Now, what I am worried about is that in seeing Hanie, I'm reminded of all the amazingly annoying Cutler things he does. His lack of pocket presence, his poor vision, his crazy mechanics. Hanie did step up well a couple times to avoid a sack and buy more time, and he had a nice bit of touch on his throws. I'm sure that he's not as good as his stats indicated; as stated above, the Packers went conservative and let Hanie make his own mistakes, and he did some of the time. With more film and a better plan he'd likely look horrible. But he did look better in certain ways that cutler doesn't, and that bugs.

Pretty much.

Can we now stop pretending that Cutler is a good QB? Please? Do we have to wait for him to actually throw more INTs than completions? You know like Grossman did in 2006?

Hey listen, I hear ya. I guess what he didn't want to do is give up any big plays. It got them to the NFC champ game defeating 2 of the 3 best teams in the NFC on the road, and now to the SB. So maybe he knows something about his defense we don't.
Okay, but by doing a conservative gameplan they DID give up big plays. In fact, they gave up bigger plays to Hanie than they had to Cutler all day. One led immediately to a TD, another was a TD. Not blitzing meant that longer routes had time to develop.

And against a Martz offense giving them time is deadly.

I agree that Capers is a good defensive coordinator and that Green Bay has a very underrated defense. They played very, very well against the Bears with Cutler. But his game choices against Hanie were pretty stupid and led to a far closer game than it needed to be. That's not what he did against Atlanta (they got more aggressive as the game went on), that's not what they did against Philly, and it's really not what they should have done here.

Can we now stop pretending that Cutler is a good QB? Please? Do we have to wait for him to actually throw more INTs than completions? You know like Grossman did in 2006?
I don't think any Bears fans are saying that he's an elite-level QB. But I do think that he's at least as good as someone like Sanchez or Hass (back in the day) or any number of good but not great QBs, and there are going to be games that he will win just because of his ability.

You have to understand, Rock, the level of quality needed to be a good Bears QB is very, very low. Having a Bears QB that:

1) stays healthy most of the season

2) throws for more than 3000 yards and 20 TDs

3) actually makes plays that wins games when the defense is playing like crap (you know, like the bears did against the Jets and unlike what Brady did against the Jets)

Is better than basically any QB the Bears have had in the superbowl era. Jim McMahon couldn't stay healthy, Kramer only lasted a year, Grossman was horrible in many ways and couldn't stay healthy. And this is behind one of the historically worst OLines there is.

I don't think anyone expects Cutler to be challenging Brady for best QB of the year awards - except, perhaps, for you and Stego expecting that of us. But having a multiyear QB that we're not all thinking of immediately replacing every single year, that can go out and actually win games now and then, that can dominate bad teams - that's something different. Cutler isn't a game manager, and he's much better than Grossman in decision making and talent. He's not a good decision maker and he's never going to beat an elite defense. So what?

I'm just glad to see that horrible, awful QBs like Cutler and Sanchez can still go further in the post season than Brady and Manning ;)

Otherwise, I think Kal explained very well how most Bears fans feel about the situation.

I'm becoming a bigger and bigger Packer fan by the minute. Rooting for the Jets seems to be a very unrewarding experience. I don't know how actual Jets fans do it on a regular basis.

J E T S BEAT THE PATS!

I'd imagine it's pretty easy.

Was that Sanchez interception a 'tuck rule'? I don't think it was going forward on the second attempt, but was the first 'pump' complete?

ETA: Either the Jets are emotionally spent after the Patriots game or Rex Ryan spent the weekend perusing the Jimmy Choo catalog. Or both.

Hey Kal,

Brady played in the Jets game with a broken foot. Cutler wasn't hurt enough so that he even needed to sit down.

Jump off the bus. You're too smart to sound this stupid. Comparing a guy that quits on his team in the NFC Championship to a guy with 3 rings is preposterous in the extreme.

ETA: Comparison to Bears history is foolish. the Bears have as much chance to get a Super Bwol caliber QB as any other team. they passed on Brees and Brady and Cassell and Rodgers, etc, etc.

Well this game's over.

don't think any Bears fans are saying that he's an elite-level QB. But I do think that he's at least as good as someone like Sanchez ...

Be careful for what you wish for...

You have to understand, Rock, the level of quality needed to be a good Bears QB is very, very low. Having a Bears QB that:

1) stays healthy most of the season

2) throws for more than 3000 yards and 20 TDs

3) actually makes plays that wins games when the defense is playing like crap (you know, like the bears did against the Jets and unlike what Brady did against the Jets)

Then you should not spend a first round draft pick for a guy who stays healthy, and gets only 3000 yards and 20 TDs. And you neglected to include an INT number in there which is huge in this discussion; Cutler was well under the really key 2:1 TD:INT ratio. That is very important to this discussion.

I don't think anyone expects Cutler to be challenging Brady for best QB of the year awards - except, perhaps, for you and Stego expecting that of us.

No offense, kal, but you were the one who kept making the comparison between Cutler and Brady moments after the game. Don't blame this all on Stego and I.

Cutler isn't a game manager, and he's much better than Grossman in decision making and talent. He's not a good decision maker and he's never going to beat an elite defense. So what?

Than you resigned yourself to never seriously contending for a Superbowl. Yeah, you guys made it to a NFC Championship game, but that was after beating an historically bad Seattle team. Without a QB who- in your own words -is not a game manager, not a good decision maker and who will never beat an elite Defense- no team can win in the era.

I love how he said it like "Some people think..."

Would you be "some people" Simms?

Heh, I can't help but think of how his kid got beat out this year by a skinny kid from California.

I mean, Brady, Aikman, Rodgers? Hello? Marcus fucking Allen? Bubba Paris, Tully Banta-Cain, Anthony Munoz? Terrel Davis, Teddy Bruschi, Lance Briggs!?

I'm now rooting against Phil Simms more than anything else.

ETA: Troy fucking Polamalu!?

I mean, Brady, Aikman, Rodgers? Hello? Marcus fucking Allen? Bubba Paris, Tully Banta-Cain, Anthony Munoz? Terrel Davis, Teddy Bruschi, Lance Briggs!?

I'm now rooting against Phil Simms more than anything else.

Did you really just put Tully Banta-Cain on that list? LAWL.

(To help you out, Ted Fucking Williams and Junior Seau.)

Did you really just put Tully Banta-Cain on that list? LAWL.

(To help you out, Ted Fucking Williams and Junior Seau.)

Well, yeah, but that's more of his recent 49ness than being particularly noteworthy.

Also, not recent but noteworthy Gary Plummer.

ETA: Criminy! Ken Norton Jr. as well.

I need to stop thinking about this.

Archived