NFL thread lucky 13

davos

Thing with Cutler is image. Most fans around the NFL already think of him as Jeff George Jr. But his body language yesterday was horrible. It looked like he didn't care, It looked like he was ok to go back in. No ice, no treatment, no crutches. It just looked like he didn't want to be in there. And as Andre said, image is everything.

Thing with Cutler is image. Most fans around the NFL already think of him as Jeff George Jr. But his body language yesterday was horrible. It looked like he didn't care, It looked like he was ok to go back in. No ice, no treatment, no crutches. It just looked like he didn't want to be in there. And as Andre said, image is everything.

I understand that. It's something that I've discussed with other Bears fans. He comes across as an arrogant prick, a diva, etc. etc. etc. But he's our arrogant prick diva.

It's really interesting to me because ultimately this comes down to demeanor.

Because I heart him so much, let's go back to Brady. Brady had a knee injury that took him out of a championship game early in his career and forced Bledsoe to play. He was able to come back 2 weeks later and play in the superbowl.

Do people question Brady's toughness? It's almost identical save that he had a more competent backup, in terms of situation. As far as I know he wasn't begging to stay on the field; it was a coaches' decision to pull him (just like it was a coaches decision to pull Cutler).

But because he does act odd on the sidelines and isn't cheering on folks or getting into Hanie's face and telling him what to do every time (and note that several times they cut to him I did see him with the playbook sitting next to Hanie), it's clear that he's not mentally or physically tough.

It might be that he's not mentally tough. I don't honestly know. He certainly doesn't have the fiery demeanor that many successful QBs have, and he's not a really nice guy. At the same time he doesn't have a history of leaving after injury (and there have been plenty of injuries he's taken), he's only missed one game due to injury in his career...so why the pessimism? It's just odd that evidence isn't nearly as important as implication and established opinion.

Ultimately I think the problem is simply that he's too passive. He told the coaches what he felt, he told them he was having problems putting weight on it and that it would affect him and it wasn't getting better. The problem is that he let the coaches make the decision. He should have likely said that he was fine or that he was going to play through it or any number of things. He should have taken control. Instead, he let them decide and it was an issue for him.

What I don't get is why people think that he benched himself. I don't think that's the case at all and it goes contrary to everything that everyone's said. He certainly put himself in a position to get benched (which is another disconnect between what we want from NFL QBs and Cutler) but no one has ever said that he said 'pull me, I'm done' or something like it.

My bet is that Cutler was not playing better as time went on, he was injured, and Smith decided idiotically that Todd Collins gave him a better shot. I don't get why Smith isn't being vilified here; between putting in Collins at all, having Collins on the roster and having him as the second QB on the roster there's a huge bag of stupid coaching decisions to be made. Then there's that idiotic fly sweep on 3rd and 3 combined with running 15-yard out patterns on 4th and 5. Just...wow.

The Bears didn't help matters with how they handled the Cutler injury. They are notorious for being cloak and dagger with the media. All they said yesterday was he was Questionable to return. As if that would keep Green Bay on it's toes. "Oh noes, Cutler might come back!".

Dumb. He was done.

I get that, Trisky - but what I don't get is why people think it was Cutler's decision. Like I said, I think the bigger problem was that he allowed himself to be taken out. People are taking that like he asked to be relieved or whatever, and i don't think that's true - but I also do think that it was a mistake to not demand staying in.

The Bears didn't help matters with how they handled the Cutler injury. They are notorious for being cloak and dagger with the media. All they said yesterday was he was Questionable to return. As if that would keep Green Bay on it's toes. "Oh noes, Cutler might come back!".

Dumb. He was done.

The Bears are definitely hanging him out to dry today. Lovie doesn't seem to have a clue.

I rarely agree with Olin Kreutz on anything other than what day it is. But Kreutz provided the perfect response to anybody suggesting otherwise — especially his NFL peers who ripped Cutler on the Internet.

"(Expletive) them, it's (expletive) stupid,'' Kreutz snapped. "I could see (his knee) wiggling when he was walking back in the huddle (late in the second quarter).''

On the second-to-the-last series before the half, Cutler felt a hit on the outside of his left knee. He finished the next two series but limped into the locker room with 32 seconds left. He was re-taped, rode the exercise bike to get a truer gauge and returned to play the first series of the third quarter.

"I was going to keep playing,'' Cutler said. "They made the decision (that) to give Todd (Collins) a shot would better suit the team.''

Cutler tried lobbying the Bears medical team. Asked if the knee lacked stability or mobility, Cutler answered, "Both.'' The pocket is no place for a quarterback that limited, especially against a Packers defense that aggressive.

"I knew it was probably better that I didn't (play),'' Cutler acknowledged. "I know my knee. I know my body.''

The decision wasn't his and he tried to fight it. His demeanor works against him, but the facts support him. Those inclined to snap judgments have made them and no truth can dissuade them.

Brady won a Super Bowl with torn ligaments in his throwing shoulder. But whatever. He didn't leave the game against the Jets. Win or lose, he's a man.

After the fallout, they can't help but report it as a serious injury. He would be run out of the NFL. All I know is that it did not hurt enough for him to have to sit down. I've seen Rodney Harrison playing, making tackles with his arm dangling from a new elbow in the middle of his forearm.

Cutler might have a bruise and they would still report a torn whatever. It doesn't matter, even if his knee was torn up. And his type 1 diabetes had nothing to do with it.

But you trust them to trade those same picks? I mean, I agree, your management is poor, but that does not somehow mean that THIS is not a sign of that poor management. Maybe it isn't. Maybe it was that the best you could have hoped for was Cutler. I don't know. I just think that if you trade a 1st round pick, you need it to count. Otherwise, you are selling the future of your team down the tubes.

Out of curiosity, because I don't remember at the moment, who did Denver get with the first of the two 1st round picks the Bears sent them?

Giving up Orton plus the two first rounders might have been over paying, but when you're trading for a guy who just came off of a season like he'd had with the Pro Bowl trip and all, it's understandable to take the the hit in price. Ultimately it has to work out, but despite what everyone keeps bleating about, the jury is still out on who ultimately won this trade.

They definitely crapped the bed with that first long drive, but really played outstanding after that. They had to defend a short field several times in the first half and only allowed one other TD.

Coaching killed the Bears in the end. Not Cutler. The fact that they deferred the opening kick off letting Rodgers onto the field first, rather than letting him sit out on the sidelines in the cold a few extra moments? Dumb. The Bears needed to come out of the gate and put points up first before Green Bay saw the ball...exactly what Green Bay did because of a coaching decision like that.

Dumb. He was done.

It doesn't suprise me in the least that Lovie jacked this up.

Coaching was the worst graded aspect of yesterday's game for the Bears.

Also, they caught Sanchez picking his nose and wiping it off on Mark Brunell.

Which is just win.

This is why Cutler isn't a good player - because he doesn't get dry humped by his running backs and he doesn't wipe snot on the second stringers.

Brady won a Super Bowl with torn ligaments in his throwing shoulder. But whatever. He didn't leave the game against the Jets. Win or lose, he's a man.

The pervasive stupidity of this mentality is what has lead to the disaster that is the health of older football players. Anyone with any sense who has seen the devastation the game played on the health of retired players would realize that this school of thought must be quashed from Pee Wee to the NFL. It is a game. Fifteen years of glory is not worth a lifetime of pain, nor should we as fans endorse the idea that it is. In life, there are causes worth dying for. The Vince Lombardi Trophy is not one of them.

The coaches ordered Cutler from the game. That is their job. The doctors did not let him go back in to the game. That is their job. Cutler told the truth to the doctors. That is his duty to himself and his teammates.

Besides, the difference between a damaged shoulder ligament and a damaged knee ligament is huge. A shoulder ligament hurts like hell. But doesn't affect your ability to evade defenders. Hopping around on one leg at QB is suicide. Quadruply so in a Mike Martz system.

Getting off of Cutler and getting on getting off elsewhere,

needs to be immortalized in gif form.

I honestly thought I saw that happening live but chalked it up to being tired. :lol:

Also, they caught Sanchez picking his nose and wiping it off on Mark Brunell.

Which is just win.

This is why Cutler isn't a good player - because he doesn't get dry humped by his running backs and he doesn't wipe snot on the second stringers.

HA! Yes, I noticed that when it happened and laughed out loud :lol: Now that I think about it, it's a bit of a role reversal for ol' Ben (rimshot!);)

What? Too soon?! :dunno:

Coaching killed the Bears in the end. Not Cutler. The fact that they deferred the opening kick off letting Rodgers onto the field first, rather than letting him sit out on the sidelines in the cold a few extra moments? Dumb. The Bears needed to come out of the gate and put points up first before Green Bay saw the ball...exactly what Green Bay did because of a coaching decision like that.

On the one hand, I agree with this... However, the Bears' strength was not in their offense (obviously) but rather, in their defense. Yes, it turned out wrong; but how much bigger would it have been if Urlacher and Crew had gone out and forced a three and out? Then the Bears have essentially taken the opening kickoff and they get the ball back at the half.

In the end, that's not what happened and the game went the Packers way and we are left to second guess.

Do people question Brady's toughness? It's almost identical save that he had a more competent backup, in terms of situation. As far as I know he wasn't begging to stay on the field; it was a coaches' decision to pull him (just like it was a coaches decision to pull Cutler).

He was taken off the field in a stretcher.

Same thing?

I can't believe Bears fans are blaming coaching. They obviously had a good game plan on defense and Martz did the best he could with Coward McPussypants, Todd Rollup, and Michael Bishop.

I can't help but cheer on the fans in Chicago that burned their Cutler jerseys last night. Good for them.

Archived