UK Politics IX

Usotsuki

£150 on chocolate digestives.... that's nearly two packets a week! :stunned:

Unless you buy the really crappy Tesco own brand ones that crumble to bits in the packet. That would save nearly £75 annually!

£150 on chocolate digestives.... that's nearly two packets a week! :stunned:

If I didn't possess sufficient will power I could easily eat that and more. Piffle on the £150!

N

Imagine how much BBC could save on travel expenses if the journalist did the sensible thing and just called Murdoch asking him what went on in the world.

Reporting on the troubles of a war torn hell-hole with a gin shortage from the comforts of one's weekend home in France is a fine Fleet Street tradition, it's time the BBC caught up, though in my experience the journalists still claim travel expenses.

BBC Radio Essex interviewed me today to talk about the impact of changes to age legislation on jobseekers (specifically if the fact people will soon be able to work on after 65 will limit entry to the job market for the young - my scintillating answer: maybe, but maybe not). Why me? They randomly interviewed me a few months ago whilst talking to my then-boss about small businesses going bust in Essex (as his eventually did) and kept my details on file.

Apparently The Politics Show is also going to be doing a piece on people looking for work in Essex and they want to re-interview me for that. Any suggestions on how much I can put the boot into the Coalition during the interview?

The Sun has done the numbers on BBC spending and it isn't pretty:

That is a weird one. I mean, Ryanair doesn't fly to Japan or Egypt and booking at short notice obviously costs more. Some of the other stuff is more ridiculous, but I don't see much alternative to flying journalists to remote destinations by plane.

That is a weird one. I mean, Ryanair doesn't fly to Japan or Egypt and booking at short notice obviously costs more. Some of the other stuff is more ridiculous, but I don't see much alternative to flying journalists to remote destinations by plane.

See my reply above.

So in a matter of hours British and French military forces could be attacking targets in Libya.

Four or five Arab states could support the action. The USA will not lead the attacks, but could join in later action.

That's a pretty fast turn-around. I thought it was all going to be over before the UN pulled its finger out.

According to the Torygraph Ladbrokes have paid out to about fifty people who placed a bet on Ken Clarke falling asleep during the budget.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/8401597/Did-Ken-Clarke-fall-asleep-during-Budget-speech.html

Maybe it was the nice story about how three little pigs managed to achieve six pc growth by building their houses out of straw that did it. There is a photograph to accompany the story - sadly no visible dribble.

On a boringly serious note, this first buy interest-free deposit scheme sounds excellent and should mean I can put a far larger deposit down than I'd planned. Need to find more details about it.

ETA damn. Seems like you're capped at 25% and limited to new building developments. Guess that sweet flat in Greenwich will have to find another owner.

• 2 weeks later...

Ignoring for the moment the frothing insanity of the Daily Telegraph inspired by the unprecedented lack of patriotism involved in David Cameron's apology for the Kerfuffle over Kashmir, we move on to the FCO's mastery of the "dog ate my homework" school of diplomacy.

Four Kenyans who allege they were tortured during the suppression of the Mau Mau uprising are starting legal proceedings against the UK government.

The group, seeking compensation at the High Court, allege they were assaulted between 1952 and 1961 by British colonial administration officials.

"The treatment they endured has left them all with devastating and lifelong injuries," said solicitor Martyn Day.

The FCO argument:

It was a long time ago, very far away, and clearly the current Kenyan government is responsible for all actions by the colonial regime in Kenya.

Also we thought we had lost the documents we spirited away before independence, and even if we had known where they were they were very dirty and would take a long time to read.

And the archives certainly weren't stored with any of the documents we removed from 36 other former colonies and the ones from Palestine in particular were very badly typed, and we were sick that day anyway.

On a boringly serious note, this first buy interest-free deposit scheme sounds excellent and should mean I can put a far larger deposit down than I'd planned. Need to find more details about it.

ETA damn. Seems like you're capped at 25% and limited to new building developments. Guess that sweet flat in Greenwich will have to find another owner.

Yep. It's a sop for property developers and an attempt to stop house prices falling back to affordable levels, rather than anything of actual use to FTBs.

Archived