UK Politics IX

Usotsuki

In UK politics it will probably tend to ... and bolster the existing three major parties ...

I would not have thought so. The three major parties are totally dominant already. How much more dominant could they get? How many current MPs don't belong either to them or to the regional parties of Scotland, Wales and NI?

I would see AV bolstering protest first choice votes that might result in a few independents or fringe candidates getting in.

Personally I don't see any argument against a Yes vote. Certainly I have not yet heard one from the No campaign.

I would not have thought so. The three major parties are totally dominant already. How much more dominant could they get? How many current MPs don't belong either to them or to the regional parties of Scotland, Wales and NI?

Four. One Green, one independent, one from the Alliance party (which, while it is a NI regional party, is considered a minor one) and the Speaker.

It'd make Nick Clegg cry again.

That's the best reason I've heard so far for voting no and the implicit argument of a vote no leaflet I got in the post today "AV LEADS TO BROKEN PROMISES Nick Clegg is unpopular because he broke his promises" the miserable pamphleteers missed their chance to say 'so get your own back on him by voting no' though.

I would see AV bolstering protest first choice votes that might result in a few independents or fringe candidates getting in.

Under FPTP it's possible to have 3+ way splits where a strong candidate from a minor party could get up on 20-30% of the vote. Preferential voting will tend to eliminate that possibility in a lot of splits as the flows from one of the majors will often be enough to push one of the other two into the lead.

If you have a breakdown like:

MRLP 30

CON 28

LD 22

LAB 20

Under FPTP it's MRLP all the way, but with AV the preference flows working on an official (or otherwise) anti-Silly Party alliance will push a Sensible party candidate in front.

Under FPTP it's possible to have 3+ way splits where a strong candidate from a minor party could get up on 20-30% of the vote. Preferential voting will tend to eliminate that possibility in a lot of splits as the flows from one of the majors will often be enough to push one of the other two into the lead.

If you have a breakdown like:

MRLP 30

CON 28

LD 22

LAB 20

Under FPTP it's MRLP all the way, but with AV the preference flows working on an official (or otherwise) anti-Silly Party alliance will push a Sensible party candidate in front.

Well maybe, but the fact remains that at present we have no MRLP MPs. And, (say it softly) if the 70% of the voters who didn't vote for the MRLP candidate cast 2nd choice votes showing they really don't want her as their MP, perhaps she does not deserve to get in. I am not sure that would be the case though.

Personally I suspect that a good many voters tend to vote against the major party that they really don't want to win, rather than for the one they do. With AV that need to vote tactically evaporates, and I would expect the votes for other parties to go up.

I'm not highlighting this as a flaw necessarily, I'm just pointing out that this is what does happen in AV a lot (in my hypothetical it'd be more like 55-45 against MRLP after preferences, not 70-30) - there's no need for tactical voting but it still doesn't actually do much for third and fourth party representation.

This has been the voting system (in a few different guises) in my country for over eighty years and it's produced just two hung parliaments at the federal level and is still yet to give a third party more than a toehold in lower houses state and federal (the Nationals don't count for reasons too tedious to go into here).

• 2 weeks later...

Hereward! As a noted resistence fighter against the Norman yoke and BBC man were you aware of the secret story of Andrew and the Bastard of Marr before it became public?

Hereward! As a noted resistence fighter against the Norman yoke and BBC man were you aware of the secret story of Andrew and the Bastard of Marr before it became public?

I'd heard a rumour, but nothing concrete. I'd not heard of the injunction, though.

I'd heard a rumour, but nothing concrete. I'd not heard of the injunction, though.

i got a text the other day before the story broke

'Andrew Marr, Ryan Giggs and Ewan Mcgregor walked into a bar, i'm not allowed to tell you the rest'

it didn't make any sense whatsoever at the time.

Life imitates art (well, our very own Osborne slashfic anyway). Warning: link is very much NSFanywhere, though largely on conceptual grounds rather than actual content. I'm going to quote from it anyway.

The chancellor has recorded a special - rather flirtatious - message for a BBC presenter after she admitted on air to having erotic dreams about him.

George Osborne wished Radio 5 live's Shelagh Fogarty well in her new lunchtime slot - and suggested she might enjoy the extra sleep.

"More hours for those dreams you've been having," he added - cheekily.

Oh George, you saucy devil.

Fogarty said "for political balance", listeners should know she had also dreamt about Labour's Neil Kinnock.

Oh people! I thought you were all more liberal in your sexual attitudes than this! I'm surprized that you aren't more supportive and enthusiastic about the free expression of this woman's libido. I always thought that I was the only prudish puritan here.

I think I'll leave now before I start speculating about the nature of her fantasies ("stop wiggling about Georgie while I chain you to my dungeon wall - scared of finding out what cuts are really like!" etc)

:leaving:

I'm just glad that this thread has finally got back to the important business of making lewd and inappropriate comments about the foibles of our entertainingly inept public servants. All this talk of policies and elections was just disheartening. What is this, the US Politics thread?

*hopes someone will admit to dreaming of a Milliband sandwich next*

Archived